OT LaVar is costing his son MILLIONS of dollars

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by BlazerCaravan, Apr 28, 2017.

1. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Four discount stickers... SAVAGE

2. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

I don't want to read this whole thread. The kid should just publicly tell everyone that his father doesn't speak for him.

Then get Nike to sign him and convert it to "just do it your way"

Or something to that effect. The idea people could run with it.

3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Exactly what will happen at some point.

4. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Look out Jordan, they will be coming for your brand once Lonzo finally plays in the NBA. After his first season BBB will release Lonzos second sneaker - The Air Balls

5. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

6. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Kristine Leahy scares him to death. I'm guessing her trying to pin him down on how any pairs of his crappy shoes with the stupid brand name he's sold is what really scares him.

BNM

PDXFonz likes this.
  7. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Lavar is a dumbass, and an asshole.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    rotary111 likes this.
  8. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    BBert, rotary111 and Reep like this.
  9. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

He's getting in over his head. Disrespectful to females, making fun of Whitlock's weight...

rotary111 and PDXFonz like this.
  10. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

He's a fad, and starting to struggle to tread water and stay relevant. He will probably continue to get more deflamatory in each interview until people are bored of him and he returns to the nobody he was before his sons basketball success gave him a podium to spew this useless drivel.

BonesJones likes this.
  11. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Whats funny is, he (Lavar) is an absolute nobody. He'll eventually run into someone who will not be intimidated by him, and they'll eat him up for lunch.

Can you imagine him trying to talk shit to Marc Cuban, or Paul Allen or the Spurs owner?

He's lucky that the Lakers owner is pretty much a clueless moron who is desperate to become relevant again. If this was Pat Riley he'd look at Lavar and say "there's the door".

RipCityDSCPL, PDXFonz and BonesJones like this.
  12. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Lavar is destroying his sons career before it starts. He cost him millions with Nike and Addidas who now want nothing to do with him. He is being an asshole to a lot of people. People aren't going to want to deal with him or Lonzo. He is also putting extreme pressure on his son to accomplish great things in the league. Lonzo is going to implode under the pressure and bust.

13. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

He's only going to work out for Lakers and his father openly says that he wants to discourage Celtics from taking him. Not that they'd ever take him ahead of Fultz, but what sort of nonsense is that?

RipCityDSCPL and Dougnsalem like this.
  14. Mediocre Man

You know I thought he made a mistake with the shoe companies. Then I thought his marketing of BBB was really smart....still do. Now I think he's stepped over the line. I get what he's trying to do, and it's not a bad plan, but he went too far and that will cost him.

15. Mediocre Man

Would love to see the Lakers not bring him in for a workout. Someone needs to remind Lavar who is in charge

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

They should do that and then select De'Aaron Fox or Josh Jackson. It's not like they are lesser talents either. Make him go to Orlando.

17. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

18. trailblazer18

trailblazer18 Well-Known Member

He is trying to Trump his way to the top, same tactics. He could definitely communicate better, but I do think there was a lot of twisting of words to make it seem like he disrespects women. I think he really just didn't want to give that reporter a response because she was a "hater." not because he disrespects women. And plenty of sports personalities make fun of Whitlock's weight, he usually is makes fun of himself as well.

His business idea is genius, give the power/ownership to the player. I don't think Nike and Adidas are scared of Lavar and Lonzo, but they are scared of the idea. If Lebron, KD, or the next version of them moved forward in this manner (Lebron has the resources to do it), it would hurt these companies in a serious way. Not sure any player wants to invest the time and effort to operate their own shoe line, but Lebron is heavy into business outside of bball. I have a feeling things won't end well for Lavar, lots of dirt will come out on him. Nike and Adidas will make sure he goes down in flames.

But why not push for crazy amounts of money? His kids is gonna make millions, so they will have plenty of money. He wants to go Yuuuuge, if not, they have the tens of millions from the NBA contract. Also, he knows it all depends on how good Lonzo is in the NBA. If he is a superstar the money will always be there. If he is a bust, try to get the exposure and money now.

In summary, I think it's really entertaining. I love the business idea, but of course agree that he doesn't need to be so outlandish.

19. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Public opinion matters. I don't follow any sports writers or reporters or whatever Whitlock is.
    I did listen to his comment about "snacks" and instantly thought. "Wow he's making fun of people who are overweight".(didn't know whitlock was overweight at this point)
    Also it didn't bother me that he refused to look at the female reporter. What bothered me is when he said. "something coming for you".
    Which no matter how much he denies it, is a threat.
    If I was on the fence about his "brand" before. I wouldn't be after hearing these two things from his own mouth.
    He doesn't wish to market to women, that's fine his business his choice. I don't really find that disrespectful. There are plenty of other "brands" that don't market to men. Not a big deal.

But hey at least lavar introduced me to Whitlock, who I had never heard of.

trailblazer18 likes this.
  20. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

That's where he fucked up, IMHO. Ben Simmons got a $20 million guaranteed shoe deal (up to $40 million with incentives). He get's that $20 million even if injuries prevent him from ever setting foot on an NBA court. It's money in the bank.

Lonzo also had multiple shoe companies bidding for him and could have gotten a similar deal, especially since he's expected go to a big market team like the Lakers, but his dad drove those companies away. If Lonzo is a bust, BBB won't take off and they might actually lose money on the brand.

Since he's the oldest of the three brothers, the smart thing to do would have been to take the $20 million (or whatever the best offer would have been) up front, put a large portion of it in the bank to insure you're set for life and use the rest to fund development and marketing of your brand.

Then after five years, if you are indeed a superstar, you go out on your own and launch your own brand. If not, at least you have most of that $20 million (plus your rookie contract earnings) to fall back on.

Even with "just" $20 million (+ salary) that family could have been set for life, and they would still have the opportunity for the REALLY big bucks if Lonzo (or one of the other brothers) does truly become the type of superstar talent that can carry an entire brand.

Now, it's going to be feast or famine, with a very real chance that Lonzo does not live up to the unrealistic expectations his father has created and the BBB brand never takes off. He's already alienated the top shoe companies before his eldest son has even set foot on an NBA court. That was a dumb move. No need to burn those bridges until you know you are holding a winning hand. Let Nike take all the risk (they can afford it) and then branch out on your own if Lonzo does become a breakout superstar.

BNM

trailblazer18 likes this.