OT LeBron James said Kyle Rittenhouse should 'knock it off' after the teen cried during murder trial

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by BigGameDamian, Nov 13, 2021.

1. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

Most of you are arguing in here that he is a dumb kid that put himself in a volatile situation and you're correct, but nothing so far has shown that he murdered anyone. Convict him of illegally owning the gun, cool. 'Convict' him of being a moron, check. I just don't see based on the evidence that has been presented that you can convict him of being a murderer.

2. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Agreed.

3. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

4. Phatguysrule

This seemed like the 1 charge that could really stick...

BigGameDamian and Tyrant of Ants like this.
  5. EL PRESIDENTE

I think there was some loophole that 17 year olds could carry a rifle, and the state didn't prove that it wasn't a rifle that would fall under that definition, hence the dismissal.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  6. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

America is so Fucking stupid with its guns. My god. Absolutely pathetic.

ehizzy3, BigGameDamian, RR7 and 3 others like this.
  7. Phatguysrule

Hmm... maybe during hunting season (which can actually be year round, thanks to rabbits, etc), with a hunting license? Otherwise people under 18 wouldn't be allowed to hunt. I think that's the case in Oregon too...

8. Phatguysrule

I understand your frustration, but guns aren't the problem, especially not rifles. Not even close. You can get rid of the guns (actually you can't, but even if you could) and you'll still end up with the same number of deaths and violent crime.

For example, more people are killed in the US by bludgeoning (hammers, bats, bare hands, etc) than with rifles.

9. Phatguysrule

Check out violent crime rates in the UK and USA from the early 90s to 2015 or so.

The UK drastically increased gun control while limiting the number of guns in their country. At the same time the US let the assault weapons ban expire and nearly doubled the number of guns in our country.

US violent crime and murder rates dropped far more than UK, and the trend lines down were nearly identical...

If the number of and access to guns was a large a factor that wouldn't have been possible.

I submit that cultural and economic differences play a much bigger role. In fact, I believe the gini coefficient is the most valuable indicator of these issues. Improving our gini coefficient to a level similar to Canada would drastically reduce violent crime and murder rates, including the vast majority of gun crime.

Tyrant of Ants likes this.
  10. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Are the rates of mass murders the same? I buy that if you just want to kill someone in a rage, you'll use whatever tool you have access to. But it's much harder to kill a crowd of 20 people with a hammer or bare hands than with an assault weapon. I've never felt that guns create murder and crime--guns IMO operate as a force multiplier, allowing one nutcase to have a massively outsized effect.

STOMP, ehizzy3, Hoopguru and 4 others like this.
  11. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Might as well just dismiss the whole trial

Tyrant of Ants and Phatguysrule like this.
  12. Phatguysrule

Yeah, I don't disagree. It's tough to quantify... We're currently living in the safest time in human history. And there are more guns than at any time in human history.

Addressing the gini coefficient would also reduce the number of undiagnosed psychos walking around with the ability to buy guns.

I would also support a federal law prohibiting the transfer of any firearm to the possession of a gun restricted individual.

That would include any person who currently has a felony or violent criminal background and any person under 18 who has not completed at least a federally approved hunters safety course.

I would add a weapons restriction to every form of government issued ID. State or federal. And require every person transferring firearms via sale, loan, or any other means, to confirm their legal status.

Anybody caught giving a gun to these people would automatically be added to the restricted list and be charged with felony weapons trafficking.

Every state already has the ability to put restrictions on their state ID, so there is nothing to prevent it happening right now.

With this proposal gun enthusiasts would no longer have the argument that they don't support gun control for fear of a database of gun owners. It would just be a database of criminals, but would be verifiable without the need to use any electronics or forms. Just the flash of an ID.

But countries with strict gun control do still have mass murders...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  13. Phatguysrule

To me, that's an incredibly compelling argument in favor of an armed society...

I want my wife to be able to defend herself from a 6'5" man. When she can walk to her car with her hand in her purse, on her .380 she's not walking like a victim.

Criminals are adept at finding people who act like victims and exploiting them.

Tyrant of Ants and EL PRESIDENTE like this.
  14. EL PRESIDENTE

The only one I could see being a problem for Rittenhouse is the shooting of Rosenbaum. However, he had threatened to kill him, was in a violent, psychotic state of mind and was, in the mind of Rittenhouse, going for his gun while chasing him.

The others were likely a slam dunk for self-defense as he was actively being attacked.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  15. Phatguysrule

How about MR (mutual respect) society? Unfortunately there will always be criminals. But addressing the gini coefficient is the most efficient way I've seen to get that number as low as possible.

16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

A gun doesn't make you a badass

Phatguysrule and Tyrant of Ants like this.
  17. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

So are gun manufacturers.

How is your wife going to defend herself from someone who is a better shot than her, or draws first, or has weapons in both hands, or is wearing body armor, or...?

barfo

Lanny likes this.
  18. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Handguns are the leading killers by far. At least with a rifle you can see the perp coming and get prepared but handguns can spring out with virtually no warning.
    Countries with strict gun control do still have mass murders but not nearly as many per capita as us. We are way over the top.
    Give your wife bear spray or a whistle.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  19. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

I guess we could all wear suicide vests, and detonate when things turn bad?

barfo

20. Phatguysrule

Bear spray or a whistle are far less of a deterrent. And I'm not sure hiw much help they'd be in a mass murder situation. For example, gunman chasing people through a mall or restaurant.

You are correct about handguns. You are also correct about more mass murders here. But we've always had more mass murders here.

Russia has extreme gun control (guns are virtually illegal to own for the general population) yet they have 4x the violent crime and murder as the US.

Gini coefficient is the best thing to tackle. All the countries with better violent crime and murder rates, as well as lower mass killings have far better gini coefficient ratios than we do here in the US. Including some Nordic countries which have decently high gun ownership rates.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021