Lebron James (Superstardom? The Best?)

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by YaoMing03-04, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Viscanti:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually, you've missed the point. The argument was made by mrj that Lebron is not as good at age 19 because more people knew jordan than knew lebron at that age. My point was, that's not true, if you look at the factors that display popularity (ie, jersey sales, away game attendance, etc) you will see that more people know Lebron at age 19 than knew jordan at age 19. I go on later in my post to explain that no, even though Lebron is more popular does not make him better than jordan just based on that. I was pointing out the flaw in mrj's logic, that in fact, no Jordan was not more well known at age 19 than Lebron. As a highschool senior Lebron was the most searched for Basketball player in the world, something Jordan did not achieve until much later in his career.
    My point is, if you bother to pay attention, is that Lebron is a better player at age 19 than Jordan was. It took years for Jordan to work on his defense, while Lebron is top 3 in steals at age 19. Jordan's defense in college was suspect, but he had the determination to work on it. right now, Lebron has the advantage over the 19 y/o jordan, and every other 19 y/o that has ever played the game. That's not bias, it's fact. Top 5 in scoring per game, top 3 in steals, ranked above half the pg's in the league in assists per game and leads his position at rebounds. No other 19 year old has ever done that, period. Does this mean that Lebron is already better than the best Jordan ever had to offer, NO. If you had bothered to read my post, i explained that if (note the if) Lebron continues to progress, like Jordan and the other greats did throughout their career, he will be the greatest of all time. He has the advantage now at his age, but has not yet achieved it. Next time read before you respond.</div>

I said before Jordan as a rookie was better than James. And what you do in HS and College isn't too much important. It's what you do once you get into the league that counts. LeBron being 3 years younger doen't really make a difference. He was physically and mentally ready. He has no excuse for being a 19 year old.

2. Knicks3

Knicks3 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting YaoMing03-04:</div><div class="quote_post">I hate coaches arrogance, Lebron to me is getting pretty damn close to the two greats (T-MAC and KOBE) but no coach is double teaming him. If they keep on letting him get single coverage he is gonna drop 35 a night.</div>

ofcouse lebron is a superstar but if hes double teamed he has the passing ability to hit any of the other players on that team if you really want to stop him you have to play a pure zone wich will hurt whan trying to gaurd guys like mgginest who drive the lane. also kobe and t amc arent the best

3. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Viscanti:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually, you've missed the point. The argument was made by mrj that Lebron is not as good at age 19 because more people knew jordan than knew lebron at that age. My point was, that's not true, if you look at the factors that display popularity (ie, jersey sales, away game attendance, etc) you will see that more people know Lebron at age 19 than knew jordan at age 19. I go on later in my post to explain that no, even though Lebron is more popular does not make him better than jordan just based on that. I was pointing out the flaw in mrj's logic, that in fact, no Jordan was not more well known at age 19 than Lebron. As a highschool senior Lebron was the most searched for Basketball player in the world, something Jordan did not achieve until much later in his career.
    My point is, if you bother to pay attention, is that Lebron is a better player at age 19 than Jordan was. It took years for Jordan to work on his defense, while Lebron is top 3 in steals at age 19. Jordan's defense in college was suspect, but he had the determination to work on it. right now, Lebron has the advantage over the 19 y/o jordan, and every other 19 y/o that has ever played the game. That's not bias, it's fact. Top 5 in scoring per game, top 3 in steals, ranked above half the pg's in the league in assists per game and leads his position at rebounds. No other 19 year old has ever done that, period. Does this mean that Lebron is already better than the best Jordan ever had to offer, NO. If you had bothered to read my post, i explained that if (note the if) Lebron continues to progress, like Jordan and the other greats did throughout their career, he will be the greatest of all time. He has the advantage now at his age, but has not yet achieved it. Next time read before you respond.</div>

I also mentioned that Lebron is a beast compared to all 19 year olds so far.LBJ has the build of man. I dont know if its the food or what, but I dont see many 19 year olds his size and with his strength and atleticism. Jordan was much smaller at 19 as were most other stars such as KG and Kobe who came in the league. LBJ on the other hand has body type is ready for the NBA. Most rookies dont come in looking like Lebron.

BTW, you did mention how LEbron sold more Jerseys, etc than Jordan.....Thats where the rest of my response came from. Its hype. Modern advertising. Something that wasnt has big in the 80's as it is now. Lebron was expected to be huge his rookie year.... He's lived up to it so far, but what does that have to do with becoming better with Jordan. So many people have been compared to him, yet none has reached it yet. Lebron has the opportunity, but to say he is better at 19 makes him better overall is stupid.

BTW, I read just fine thank you.

4. Viscanti

Viscanti JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting trenchteam:</div><div class="quote_post">I also mentioned that Lebron is a beast compared to all 19 year olds so far.LBJ has the build of man. I dont know if its the food or what, but I dont see many 19 year olds his size and with his strength and atleticism. Jordan was much smaller at 19 as were most other stars such as KG and Kobe who came in the league. LBJ on the other hand has body type is ready for the NBA. Most rookies dont come in looking like Lebron.

BTW, you did mention how LEbron sold more Jerseys, etc than Jordan.....Thats where the rest of my response came from. Its hype. Modern advertising. Something that wasnt has big in the 80's as it is now. Lebron was expected to be huge his rookie year.... He's lived up to it so far, but what does that have to do with becoming better with Jordan. So many people have been compared to him, yet none has reached it yet. Lebron has the opportunity, but to say he is better at 19 makes him better overall is stupid.

BTW, I read just fine thank you.</div>

My point is, and has always been, LBJ is better at age 19 than Jordan at age 19. His overall game is much more polished. He has a long way to go to reach the level Jordan was at his prime. If Lebron continues to progress the way other greats have before him, then he has the ability to pass Jordan's best. Jordan was not a great defender until later in his professional career, something LBJ is showing a nack for earlier. He shows the dedication to improve his game and be better.
    All along i've claimed, it's too early to say Lebron is better overall, but he's got a headstart.

5. og15

og15 JBB *********

A lot of the guys being compared to MJ have the offensive skills, but their's a few things you have to get before being able to get there, his basketball IQ, and his defense.

Lebron can have both of those, not a hit on Kobe, but his basketball IQ to me seems lower than players like Lebron and Wade's, even right now they're seeming to be better decision makes on the floor than him.

6. Diesel

Diesel BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post"> LeBron being 3 years younger doen't really make a difference. </div>

Yes it does, I bet you anything LeBRon will be a better player at 22 than he is right now. So yes it does make a difference. LeBron will most likely be better than MJ. LeBron will be in the league longer earning more respect and more championships maybe. The Cavs will have a dynasty. THat dynasty is not now though. When LEBron is 25 years old I expect the Cavs to be a hell uva good team.

7. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MagicFan3:</div><div class="quote_post">LeBron is a star in my mind. He is averaging about 28 or 29 ponts per game (what Tracy McGrady averaged last year) and he is playing awesome. He can play defense better than Tracy McGrady and he is only 19! People forget that he is so young and think of this, he can only get better in the next 10 years. LeBron James will be the next Michael Jordan if not better.</div>

dont jinx james. penny, minor, hill, were all the next mike.

8. PHENOMENON

PHENOMENON JBB JustBBall Member

LeBron can go all the way, it's scary. The only thing is, LeBron doesn't have a supporting cast like Jordan did. I say LeBron becomes better than Jordan.

But winning as many rings as Jordan is a totally different question.

9. Glen Infante

Glen Infante JBB Trend Setter

Like I said before. Give LeBron a strong supporting cast, and you will see the rings fill up his hands. That's all I got to say.

10. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting michiganave17:</div><div class="quote_post">dont jinx james. penny, minor, hill, were all the next mike.</div>

I remember Minor. BABY Jordan was his name wasn't it?

11. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting trenchteam:</div><div class="quote_post">I remember Minor. BABY Jordan was his name wasn't it?</div>
    Yup. [​IMG] Harold Minor was Baby Jordan.

12. Phuzer

Phuzer JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">Yup. [​IMG] Harold Minor was Baby Jordan.</div>

Len Bias was also considered the next MJ at the time. Too bad he was never able to show what he could do.

13. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

There will never be another Jordan untill I come into the league. Just kidding but, I really don't think there will be another one.

14. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

LeBron is certainly headed toward Jordan. I sincerely think he can surpass Jordan, but to say he is going to be like that is premature. Don't jinx the kid.. I remember Vince Carter's answer when a reporter asked how he felt when people compared him to MJ. He said it was a great honor, but he would rather be Vince Carter, not the next Michael Jordan. He wanted to be remembered as his own player. I think LeBron is the same way. He's bigger, but doesn't shoot as well. I think he'd just want to be LeBron James, and not Michael Jordan.

15. ChipDWood

ChipDWood JBB JustBBall Member

Well, this doesn't suck either ;)...

LeBron James just became the youngest player to score 2,000 points in NBA history.

I think this whole comparison between Jordan and James can be broken down like this:

There will never BE another Jordan.
    There has never BEEN a LeBron James.

Go Cavaroonies; 9 of 10 ain't bad.

Chip

16. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

^ I can deal with that. [​IMG]