lebron+miles+ricky

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by cross yo ova, Jun 3, 2003.

1. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

I liked your post up until the thug part. Do you even know what a thug is? It's a person who MAKES A LIVING COMMITING CRIMES. I don't see Darius robbing the local 7-11 anytime soon on a consistent basis.

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

how do you figure D Miles is a thug? has he been arrested, caught with weed, caught beating an ex-girlfriend?

D Miles is actually very mild mannered, and him and Q Rich are probably one of the few Clippers who were not caught up in the Hollywood scene here in LA.

3. slamduncan21

slamduncan21 JBB JustBBall Member

you kids gotta keep in mind that Miles came out of highschool. the first 3 years of al harrington's career were crappy, same with jermaine o'neal. none of these highschoolers have been perfect right out of high school (amare is the exception)

4. go_duke21

go_duke21 JBB JustBBall Member

yea that is true that it usually takes high school players a while to develop but dmiles doesnt have any shot at all and if u dont have that by now itll be harder and harder to get as the years go by

5. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

i think d miles should focus more on his defense and be recognized for that! learning how to shoot a basketball isn't that hard. it just takes a lot of practice. karl malone was one of the worst free throw shooters when he entered the league, but he has improved each season. i'm sure d miles will push himself during the off-season because lebron is going to put a lot of pressure on his teammates to elevate their game. silas is a great coach of young talent and d miles has a lot to prove to his fans and critics after a dissapointing season.

6. Truemaster14

Truemaster14 JBB JustBBall Member

darius miles had a bad knee last year so he wasnt himself.

7. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

Speaking of Miles here is an insider article on him and Tim Grover trying to fix his game.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Trainer trying to rebuild Miles' game
    By Chad Ford
    NBA Insider

CHICAGO -- NBA trainer Tim Grover's biggest challenge over the past 15 years was helping Michael Jordan come back and play professional basketball at the age of 38.

His second biggest challenge will come this summer -- figuring out how to fix what's broken in Darius Miles' game.

"If Tim Grover can teach Darius Miles to shoot," Charles Barkley told Insider, "then he deserves a lifetime achievement award. I'm not sure if anyone can fix that. If he can, then there's no question who the best is."

No one had a more disappointing season last year than Miles, who had been traded to Cleveland in the offseason. A preseason NBA.com survey of all 29 league GMs had Miles pegged as the overwhelming favorite to win the Most Improved Award. After a hot start, the wheels started coming off quickly.

In October, Miles averaged 14 points and 7.5 rpg. In November it slipped to 11.7 ppg and 6.4 rpg. By December he was down to 6.9 ppg, 5.4 rpg on 36 percent shooting from the field. He never recovered. His averages for April were 9 ppg and 6.2 rpg on 35 percent shooting.

By April, Miles had hit rock bottom. So when trainer Tim Grover came into town with Jordan for a Wizards game on April 8, Miles pulled him aside and made a promise.

"I'll be the gym May 1st," he told Grover. "I can't let anything like this happen again."

Some people blame a nagging knee injury for Miles' struggles. He seemed to have lost the explosiveness that made him so special in Los Angeles.

Others blamed Ricky Davis, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Dajuan Wagner and the rest of Cleveland's ball hogs. Miles was supposed to be the franchise player in Cleveland, but he ended up averaging just 9.2 shots per game for the year.

Others pointed to the trade that shipped him from the Clippers to the Cavs. Miles loved being a Clipper, he was a fan favorite, and his best friend was teammate Quentin Richardson. He never seemed to recover from the shock of being traded.

And more than a few claim Miles' lack of a jump shot finally caught up to him. In the Cavs' half-court offense, defenders played off Miles, daring him to make a shot. He rarely did. He'd often pass up wide open 10 footers, deferring to a double-teamed teammate. One Cavs official claimed most of Miles' baskets this season came off dunks in transition. If you figured out his actual shooting percentage, "It would've been like 20 percent."

But Miles has his own theory about what when wrong with his season.

"I didn't put the time in with Grover last year," he told Insider. Miles had worked out with Grover since before the 2000 draft, but a commitment to do a movie, "The Perfect Score," pulled him away from his normal training regimen.

"I had to go to Vancouver to film a movie and didn't put in the time I needed to get my body and game ready for the NBA season. It's a mistake I won't be making twice."

As promised, Miles showed up in Chicago on May 1, ready to work.

"Normally, I have to ride Darius to get him in here," Grover said. "This year it's totally different. I don't have to motivate him anymore. Last year gave him all the motivation he needs."

But why couldn't Miles do the same thing in Cleveland, where the Cavs wanted him to work out this summer?

"Tim gets the best out of you," Miles said. "He never limits your game. I have so much respect for him and what he's done with the other guys, you want to work hard for him and make him look good."

Grover is working with Miles both in the weight room and on the court to get him back on track. Grover believes Miles never fully rehabilitated from last season's knee surgery and thus has the player working on strengthening his knee daily. He also has Miles hitting the weights, trying to add more muscle to his spindly frame.

"We've got to get his explosiveness back," Grover said. "That's one of the things that's so special about Darius. His ability to explode to the basket was unbelievable, but since the surgery he's had a harder time doing that. I believe he'll get it back."

Ultimately, Grover thinks the knee injury will benefit Miles' career.

"Before, he relied on his athletic ability to get him through," he said. "When some of that went away, he was forced to start using his basketball skills instead of his athleticism to beat people. I think a light bulb went off in his head. He's working as hard on the court as he's working off it."

Miles spends an average of two hours a day on the court working on his shooting, his post skills and his ball handling. Grover is by his side every step of the way, teaching and training. After the Fourth of July holiday, Miles will begin playing every day in the legendary runs here.

Grover says the playing time will be the other big step Miles has to take.

"He lost his confidence last year," Grover said. "Once you lose that, everything goes downhill. Darius has the ability to be an All-Star in the league. Our goal is to put him in that position this summer. I think he'll be ready to go by July. Once he sees that his explosiveness is back and that his basketball skills have improved, watch out."

That has to be music to GM Jim Paxson's ears. With LeBron James in the fold and the team playing in front of a sold out arena, the pressure to win will be ratcheted up a few notches. If Miles is playing up to his potential, the Cavs could be scary. It could also jack up his trade value. Paxson has to do some housecleaning this summer. There aren't enough shots on two teams for James, Miles, Davis, Wagner and Ilgauskas.

Miles is certainly a candidate to be traded, but contrary to popular opinion, he wants to play in Cleveland next year.

"I'm very happy in Cleveland," Miles said. "I just want to come back and redeem myself. I owe it to the fans in Cleveland to make up for last year."

Miles also can't wait to begin playing with LeBron. Miles knows him well and can't wait for James to join him in Chicago this summer.

"That's my boy," Miles said. "I told Tim I want to make sure LeBron and I are on the same team this summer. It's never too early to start building that chemistry."

They say good news usually comes in the threes. So far this summer the Cavs have won the lottery and hired a great head coach in Paul Silas. If Miles turns his game around this summer ...

"We've got the chance to do something special in Cleveland now," Miles said with a grin. "I just want to make sure I'm part of it." </div>

On one hand I like his attitude towards wanting to be a part of the Clevland franchise if they turnaround. On the other hand I'm disappointed with the fact that a movie was more important than his actualy occupation. It just showed how poor his work ethic was, but I guess it's starting to improve.

8. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

I just read that article somewhere else. I really think DMiles wants to be good. This is the 2nd time I have heard stories about him working hard in the summer.

9. slamduncan21

haha @ charles' comment. there's plenty of other players in the nba who could be amazing if they had a better work ethic.

10. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

Yea but how many of them have the skills and tehe time to improve like d-mile

11. slamduncan21

plenty of them had the skills, but blew their chance- they're too old now

12. DLee7283

DLee7283 Bond, James Bond

student
    They will probably have a linup as follows

C-Z
    PF-Booz
    SF-Ricky
    SG-Bron
    PG-Wags

with Miles off the bench

13. cross yo ova

cross yo ova JBB Banned Member

first off andre shouldnt of have been traded for miles,then the team would be better now,miller did nothing for clippers and likewise with miles for clevland,the outcome i think anyway is,3 dunkers who will have dunk fests and forget about winning,id put 1000 dollars on them not to make the playoffs

14. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, they probably won't make the playoffs. How many times does a player, any player take a team from 17 to 40 something wins? Kobe, TMac, or KG couldn't even wouldn't add 20 wins to there record.

They probably will have that lineup. Actually, you will probably see LeBron and Dajuan split PG duties. Dajuan may guard PGs, LeBron may guard SF's, and Ricky Davis guard SGs.

15. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

All three of them have good chances of being stars. Miles is only 21 years old he has plenty of time to improve.

16. slamduncan21

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "STCBBall3":</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, they probably won't make the playoffs. How many times does a player, any player take a team from 17 to 40 something wins? Kobe, TMac, or KG couldn't even wouldn't add 20 wins to there record.</div>
    david robinson did. spurs went from 21 wins to 56

17. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

As a rookie? How was his supporting cast?

LBJ is going into an extrememly young and inexperienced team.

18. slamduncan21

i dont know. i wasnt even alive back then. they had to be bad enough for them to be in the lottery