Event Left TKR tomorrow morning

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Hoopguru, Nov 3, 2019.

1. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    My dad had a buddy that owned a marina on the Columbia on Marine Drive around near the airport and the guy was an absolutely stud skier and could do it all. He use to do the same thing on a round wood disc that he would put a folding chair from a card table and get towed up and down the river. The guy actually holds the world record for skiing 1,000 miles up and down the Columbia non stop and my my dad was one of the tow drivers. He also was well known for designing and building a mahogany wood runabout boat called a Defir. He was as much of a character as he was a fabricator and builder. Here's his story

https://sea-to-summit.net/ray-defir-portland-speed-skier-and-boat-builder-1930-2011/

Dougnsalem and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  2. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Cup, that right there fills in some huge holes for me. From my childhood. That boat that towed my Grandfather around on Detroit Lake, was one of the first three that Ray built (outboard style). It just HAD to be. With what you just posted, I feel it to be 100% true. I remember Gpa saying back then (early 70's), that his boat was hand built by a guy named Ray, in Portland. At that time, he said there were only three built. A hand built, mahogany outboard, of EXCEPTIONAL quality. Just beautiful. I have a mission now. I have 1000's of old family slides. The boat is gone (my Aunt got rid of it because of massive dry rot). I have pictures of it though. Cool story. I appreciate it much!

3. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    You won't miss your knees at all, and besides, the rest of your life will be simpler without sex.

riverman likes this.
  4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

you have sex on your knees?

riverman likes this.
  5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Knees just get in the way of the couch life anyway.....one just need to learn the art of uncomplicated sex...problem solved...life then becomes simpler

6. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Wow, that is crazy. I knew Ray built a couple outboards. I think one might have been for his girlfriend. My dad and Ray co-built our Defir boat but Ray was always an Oldsmobile motor guy but my dad had a Ford 312cid Thunderbolt from a TBird. One innovation my dad incorporated on ours was the one piece wraparound windshield where Ray typically used a 2 piece windshield with a frame going down the middle to connect them. They were pretty quick boats for their time but did have a bit of a porpoising problem at top speed. I wish I had a lot of the old photos around but back then not many pictures were taken as compared to the digital age and cell phones in everyone's hand. Definitely post the pictures if you find them.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  7. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Yeah, my family were picture taking fanatics. I have everything here. It is going to take awhile to go through them though (especially all of the slides). I'm drawing a big blank on what the windshield looked like. Gotta find some pics.... My Gpa never said how he knew the guy, but he retired from PG&E and had tons of connections. He even had his own on-off switch for the street light by the driveway. The city street light. He was always amused by that. Especially when the workers kept coming by to change the bulb that wasn't ever burnt out....

CupWizier and e_blazer like this.
  8. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Hoping to hear positive updates. Hope you’re well

Dougnsalem and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  9. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    whether the knee’s good or not I bet he’s pretty good right now

Dougnsalem and PDXFonz like this.
  10. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

20-20-24 hours to gooooooo

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.