Let's talk about the Colts...

Discussion in 'AFC South' started by Steelerfan_2005, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

I asked this question in a different thread, but I wanted to reask in the Colts Forum.

Why are the Cots so unbeatable? Is it the 14-2 record? Is it Peyton Manning? is it their defensive line? Coach Dungy?

What are their top 3 dominating qualities that makes them all but a shoo-in for Super Bowl XL?

2. bakes781

bakes781 nfl-*****s member

Their ability to score at will would be the biggest IMO. The much improved D another. Home field also plays a major factor in their success.

3. Steelerfan_2005

10-3 @ home vs. the Jags
    13-6 @ home vs. the Browns

Among the blowouts were:
    St. Louis
    Houton
    Tennessee
    Pittsburgh - won the game, but Pittsburgh was not healthy at the time.

They beat Arizona with their backups by 3 in a meaningless game.

They lost to San Diego with Manning playing but without Freeney and Mathis at home.

They dominated bad teams and played other bad teams close at home.

I disagree that their strength and talent are based on their home field.

4. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

I don't believe the Colts are unbeatable. I don't think they can score at will either. Peyton Manning's touchdown total is down 21 tds this year. I believe the key is the improvement of the Colts defense. It seems to me that teams with better balance fare better than teams that are stacked heavily on one side of the football. The Ravens, of a couple of years ago, are the exception, not the rule. I do think the bye week and homefield advantage will help the Colts as well. I do think the Colts will win the Super Bowl, but I wouldn't engrave their name on the Lombardi Trophy just yet.

5. Steelerfan_2005

Their defense did improve up to 11th overall this season, 15th vs. the run and 15th vs. the pass. Not dominant but improved.

And their ability to score points is a good point, but there are other teams that can score points as well as the Colts.

6. Pack Attack

Pack Attack The KISS Army

Indy is winning because they are balanced and they generally don't beat themelves. Edgerrin James is a top 5 NFL back, so they can run and don't have to rely on the pass. They don't turn the ball over much. They have solid special teams. They have a great kicking game. Manning almost never gets sacked or pressured, so he's able to pick opposing defenses apart.

I don't think the Colts will make it to the Superbowl this year. I have faith in Manning to choke one more time.

7. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steelerfan_2005)</div><div class='quotemain'>I asked this question in a different thread, but I wanted to reask in the Colts Forum.

Why are the Cots so unbeatable? Is it the 14-2 record? Is it Peyton Manning? is it their defensive line? Coach Dungy?

What are their top 3 dominating qualities that makes them all but a shoo-in for Super Bowl XL?</div>
    I am not giong to say "unbeatable" here is why i think they will go to super bowl
    Offense:
    #1 offense among playoff teams in AFC
    Least penalized offense in AFC
    #1 in 3rd down conversions among AFC teams
    #3 in giveaway/takeaway margin
    #2 in FG %
    Defense:
    #5 in 3rd converted against
    #4 in total yards a game against
    #4 in sacks

Also, they won by an average margin of almost 13 pts a game, no other AFC team was above 10.

8. Steelerfan_2005

All good stats.... but I like the preference of them not being "unbeatable".

This team hasn't struck me as "unbeatable" all season. Very good, yes, "unbeatable", no. Just not that type of team. Young on the defensive side, still vunerable. And Manning takes too many chances sometimes. If he's rattled, he plays a little like Favre.

Thanks BF1.

9. bakes781

The Colts offensive game plan has been primarily conservative, especially against the weaker opponents.

Their thinking behind it was probably to prevent Peyton from getting seriously injured. And also to allow the defense to be well rested.

The defense has greatly improved it's tackling. They are still susceptible to the run IMO, but so far only the Chargers were able to do it consistently.

Also what SD did was take away the Edge factor, which prevented the Colts from getting into long time consuming drives.

10. Pats37

Pats37 The Next Big Thing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't believe the Colts are unbeatable. I don't think they can score at will either. Peyton Manning's touchdown total is down 21 tds this year. I believe the key is the improvement of the Colts defense. It seems to me that teams with better balance fare better than teams that are stacked heavily on one side of the football. The Ravens, of a couple of years ago, are the exception, not the rule. I do think the bye week and homefield advantage will help the Colts as well. I do think the Colts will win the Super Bowl, but I wouldn't engrave their name on the Lombardi Trophy just yet.</div>
    Peyton is down 21 total Td's this season yes, but Edge and the running game are up 10 Td's from last season so the difference is really only 11 touchdowns produced from the offense..but seriously who expected them to keep up a record pace. The offense is just back to out of this world instead of the galaxy. There defense is improved but very beatable when the game is tight and you can mix it up..once your down two scores and they turn the dogs loose they can be dominant. They are the team to beat for sure..I'm just hoping someone does beat them even if on paper it really doesn't look like they will be.

I really have grown to dislike them as much as alot of people have grown to dislike the Pats.

11. Steelerfan_2005

There are two logical explanations here that the Patriots are more confident playing the Steelers than the Colts and why the matchup is so important.

The Steelers have the defense to play the Colts, the Pats do not. They're pass defense has been horrendous. Granted it is because of injury, but true none-the-less.

The Patriots know they have a mental edge on Pittsburgh and matchup better strategy wise. They know Cowher will never come out and throw the ball 45 times.

But quality of teams is hard to judge. What can't Pittsburgh do? They can run the ball which is apparent as they are 4th in rushing. They can throw the ball which should be apparent when watching Ben play, a solid, if not very good, offensive line, fast impressive db's, a great linebacking corp, and solid D-line. Let us not forget about Hines Ward in the equation as well.

Balance will win a lot of games, and there's no one here that can convince me that the Steelers aren't one of the most offensively and defensively balanced teams in the game of football today.

Call Cowher a choker if you will.... that may be the only point that's hard to refute. But a lack of talent arguement isn't flying here.

12. bakes781

I still believe the Steelers D is not as strong as in year's past. In fact I'd say the Colts have the best D of all 4 remaining AFC teams. That's right I said D. The O goes w/o saying, but the Colts D is much improved. And for you to predict the Colts to only manage 10 points against you on Sunday is the most absurd prediction you may have ever made.

13. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steelerfan_2005)</div><div class='quotemain'>There are two logical explanations here that the Patriots are more confident playing the Steelers than the Colts and why the matchup is so important.

The Steelers have the defense to play the Colts, the Pats do not. They're pass defense has been horrendous. Granted it is because of injury, but true none-the-less.

The Patriots know they have a mental edge on Pittsburgh and matchup better strategy wise. They know Cowher will never come out and throw the ball 45 times.

But quality of teams is hard to judge. What can't Pittsburgh do? They can run the ball which is apparent as they are 4th in rushing. They can throw the ball which should be apparent when watching Ben play, a solid, if not very good, offensive line, fast impressive db's, a great linebacking corp, and solid D-line. Let us not forget about Hines Ward in the equation as well.

Balance will win a lot of games, and there's no one here that can convince me that the Steelers aren't one of the most offensively and defensively balanced teams in the game of football today.

Call Cowher a choker if you will.... that may be the only point that's hard to refute. But a lack of talent arguement isn't flying here.</div>
    I am a fan of a parcells quote when it comes to talent. He says you are as talented as the # of games you win. Meaning, you win 10 games the team that won 12 was more talented. But that means, total talent, players and coaches. Not to say that a more talented team wins everytime, but colts are clearly more talented than steelers this year.

14. Steelerfan_2005

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bakes781)</div><div class='quotemain'>I still believe the Steelers D is not as strong as in year's past. In fact I'd say the Colts have the best D of all 4 remaining AFC teams. That's right I said D. The O goes w/o saying, but the Colts D is much improved. And for you to predict the Colts to only manage 10 points against you on Sunday is the most absurd prediction you may have ever made.</div>
    Not so sure absurd is the right word, but ok. The Jags did it and the Browns held them to 13, both in Indy.

So whatever.

15. bakes781

I think we've established that the Colts played down to the level of their competition early on. This is January & you will not see a conservative gameplan from the Colts from here on out.

16. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steelerfan_2005)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bakes781)</div><div class='quotemain'>I still believe the Steelers D is not as strong as in year's past. In fact I'd say the Colts have the best D of all 4 remaining AFC teams. That's right I said D. The O goes w/o saying, but the Colts D is much improved. And for you to predict the Colts to only manage 10 points against you on Sunday is the most absurd prediction you may have ever made.</div>
    Not so sure absurd is the right word, but ok. The Jags did it and the Browns held them to 13, both in Indy.

So whatever.</div>
    Didn't the Colts also beat the Steelers by 19 earlier this year? Why I think they did.

17. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

What i dont understand is how they went from a crappy defense to a good defense in one year. All they did was add Corey Simon.

18. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (panthersare#1)</div><div class='quotemain'>What i dont understand is how they went from a crappy defense to a good defense in one year. All they did was add Corey Simon.</div>
    It's called it takes time. What they did have for the past 2 seasons was a really young and raw defense. Simon def helped the run defense but the players alone got better and Dungy finally had the personnel intact to run his scheme.

19. Phinsuck

Phinsuck nfl-*****s member

How 'bout them Colts right now? They aren't playing the same Steelers team they played earlier in the season, lol. Denver is in major trouble in the AFC Championship fellas, regardless of who wins today.

20. Phinsuck

Phinsuck nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steelerfan_2005)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bakes781)</div><div class='quotemain'>I still believe the Steelers D is not as strong as in year's past. In fact I'd say the Colts have the best D of all 4 remaining AFC teams. That's right I said D. The O goes w/o saying, but the Colts D is much improved. And for you to predict the Colts to only manage 10 points against you on Sunday is the most absurd prediction you may have ever made.</div>

So whatever.</div>
    Didn't the Colts also beat the Steelers by 19 earlier this year? Why I think they did.</div>
    Are the Steelers up 14-0 right now and putting pressur on Manning? Why I think they are.