Science Like a hot tub: Water temperatures off Florida soar over 100 degrees, stunning experts

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Jul 25, 2023.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

On Monday, as much of the country stewed in bubbling heat, a boiling milestone was hit — a buoy in Florida registered a jaw-dropping 101.1 degrees Fahrenheit water temperature.

This was on the heels of the same buoy in Manatee Bay registering 100.2 degrees on Sunday. For perspective, the average hot tub temperature is 100-102 degrees F.

While the readings would've been considered a possible outlier or sensor error, surrounding buoys recorded similarly high temperatures, with 99.3 F at Murray Key and 98.4 F at Johnson Key.

Another reason why these water temperature readings are being taken seriously is the fact that experts have been tracking the exceptionally warm water temperature readings that have ranged from 92-97 degrees since early July.

For the majority of the month, an unusual weather pattern for the summer months for the region has been the driving factor. That pattern has featured a stagnant set-up fueled by a strong area of high pressure that has led to days of above average, and in many cases, record-setting air temperatures.

The pattern has also led to weaker than average trade winds. Trade winds usually produce southeast winds and a sea breeze for south Florida, which helps to keep the sea surface temperatures in check. Instead, winds have been out of the west and weak, allowing sea surface temperatures to heat up.

Still, despite a month of record-setting water temperatures already in the history books, Sunday and Monday's 100-degree water temperature reading stunned experts.

Factors that could have played a role in spiking the water temperature above 100 degrees include:

• Air temperatures in the mid-to-upper 90s.
    • Weak winds across the region of less than 10 mph.
    • Strong sunlight hitting shallow water, which heats up faster than deep water.
    • Silty water leading to darker color, causing more absorption of sunlight and additional heating. Think of clear water vs. murky water as being similar to cement vs. asphalt. The darker the color, the more absorption and hotter the temperatures.
    The water temperatures recorded Sunday and Monday would challenge the record for hottest sea surface temperature in the world. While official world water temperature records aren't kept, a 99.7 degree temperature recorded in Kuwait Bay is considered the world record at this time. Due to factors like proximity to land and the silty nature of the water, the temperatures recorded off Florida would have to go through an extensive verification process.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), ocean warming since 1991 doubles the size of the marine heat wave forecasted for September 2023.

According to the experimental forecast issued in June, 50 percent of the global oceans could experience heat wave conditions by September.

The forecast system also estimates how large and intense heat waves are without global warming’s influence on the ocean over the past three decades. Without the warming effect, the models predict that only 25 percent of the global ocean will be affected by heat waves in September.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weathe...a-soar-100-degrees-stunning-experts-rcna96163

Phatguysrule likes this.
  2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

And so begins the new chapter of earth with the bubbling primordial cauldron of soup

Phatguysrule likes this.
  3. SlyPokerDog

Water temperature is what fuels hurricanes. The hotter the water, the stronger the hurricane.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  4. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

That's Ok. Governor DeSantis is going to file a lawsuit against Bud Lite. He has priorities.

5. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

And white go-go boots.

barfo

6. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

My parents bought a hot tub a few weeks back but the electricians haven't come to install the new line yet. I wish they'd hurry up, I have a sore back!

7. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Whelp, I'm still in Florida, so I'll just hop in the gulf.

Voodoo, SlyPokerDog, Shaboid and 2 others like this.
  8. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Sorry but my hot tub is at least 103 or 104.

9. SlyPokerDog

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I might have to start planting citrus trees and avoados and bananas and get ahead of the global warming transformation

Phatguysrule likes this.
  11. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Yep--104 for us as well.

tlongII likes this.
  12. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Yet no matter how hot you personally like your hot tub…

Yikes

I just heard that PHX broke their record for consecutive 110+ days as well. Where are the climate change deniers? Inside their air conditioned homes…?

noknobs and Phatguysrule like this.
  13. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Bay area might be one of the few places on the planet reasonably comfortable. We are having some hot days but normal summer heat. Bay isn't boiling.
    Talked to someone in Mid West, miserable. Figure I can't complain too much about a couple of 90 degree days in July.

PDXFonz and SlyPokerDog like this.
  14. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

Sadly, there's a huge number of misguided people out there who still refuse to believe in science and ignore the obvious...these water temps could adversely affect the gulf stream as well as other ocean currents.

Most humans don't give a shit...they somehow believe that this planet belongs to them.

SlyPokerDog and Phatguysrule like this.
  15. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

That's pretty old. Consider replacing it.

barfo

16. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

All because the corporations who fund the campaigns and retirements of our politicians make more money this way.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  17. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Someone had an extra shot of expresso in their Rum this morning.

Phatguysrule and SlyPokerDog like this.
  18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Looks like Lane County Oregon will become Santa Barbara for my children and grandchildren's lives. I might get to see some of it if it doesn't burn up.

Phatguysrule and SlyPokerDog like this.