Lillard is killing us

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BrunoSOC, Feb 13, 2017.

1. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Its true. They like to turn on their stars when they get too popular and then name some obscure european player who will change the game.

2. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I don't think it's Lillard hate. I believe it is more that people expected a natural progression from last year to this year and it didn't come close to happening. When that occurs, the guy making the most money is going to get scrutiny. When he plays as poor of defense as he does, is not in the top-20 in assists and for much of the season so far trailed Maurice Harkless in 3-pt shooting......there is going to be some people questioning why especially when they are doing so poorly in the standings.

That seems reasonable.

3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

My biggest disappointment for the TEAM this season is the lack of consistent double double production from our highest paid players....I'll take 20 pts and 10 assists over 30 pts and 3 assists......this is my biggest issue this season....Lillard has increased his rebounding quite abit but our assist leader was probably Plumlee most nights...granted to get an assist a teammate needs to actually make a bucket

TBpup likes this.
  4. Kaydow

Kaydow Well-Known Member

Construction Sales
    I have too much respect for Dame and what he's done here to say "he's killing us". However, his play this season has left me with some cause for concern.

1) Late game struggles. I understand there are going to be misses. It doesn't matter how "clutch" you are, even the most reliable closers go through stretches where they aren't getting it done. But it's more than just a few misses here. He did make the game winner @ Denver in the 1st week of the season. Since then, he's been sketchy in crunch time. There's been several games when the shots just didn't go down, or he misses a FT that opens the door for the other team (@ Philly), or he commits a bad foul at the buzzer in a tie game (@ Mem). On top of that there's been some really questionable shot selection (1st loss at home to Dal), and untimely turnovers. It just hasn't been "Dame Time" late in games this season.

2) Shot Selection/Shooting %. Point blank, I don't think we can win with Damian Lillard shooting 34% from 3 while taking 7+ attempts per game. He needs to be in the neighborhood of 40%. He's not a great defender. He doesn't see the floor like Chris Paul and create a bunch of shots for others. He's a score first PG, and a shot maker. When he's not doing the latter, it doesn't bode well for the Blazers. I'm comfortable with CJ's shooting numbers (48% FG, 41% 3PG), but not so much with Lillards (43%, 34% 3PG) Nobody doubts that he can shoot it. He's shown Steph Curry-like shooting range throughout his career. But shot selection has to be better to get his percentages up.

I'm still a fan of Lillard, and want his to be a Blazer-for-life. I can live with his defensive struggles (which I think could be balanced by acquiring some better defenders around him) But there's accountability when you're the franchise player. Despite averaging 26 PPG, this hasn't been a banner year for him, but I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

5. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

I think it's the turnovers that are getting to me the most. He's actually shooting roughly the same in clutch situations (55% TS -- not great), although the stats are backing up the fact that he should be deferring to CJ more down the stretch of games (38% USG vs 27.4% -- CJ is shooting 65% TS in the clutch).

Both have been below average playmakers. Dame has had more turnovers than assists (19.3 AST%, 0.83 TO ratio) and CJ hasn't been much better (1.00) with a measly AST% of 6.3%.

They haven't had much reason to trust their teammates though. No other rotation player is shooting over 47.5% TS in clutch situations this year (Turner is the 2nd highest at 47.4%).

Last year, Crabbe, Plumlee and Davis were all above 65% TS.

6. BrunoSOC

BrunoSOC Ripcity from Brazil

Another loss and another poor shot selection for Lillard

7. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Dame is really banged up. He shouldn't have even been playing tonight. But yes, in that case he should pass a bit more. It is hard for players to turn off that dog eat dog attitude.

TBpup and Jade Falcon like this.
  8. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Lol so many idiots hading on Dame right now. Get spoiled by how good he is then cry whenever he doesn't pay up to that level.

It's like a rich kid only getting $100 for weekly allowance instead of $1000.

Shaboid, Jade Falcon and Troy.Ave like this.
  9. Troy.Ave

Troy.Ave Active Member

Tell me about it. I can't believe these fools would make tunchi smile

BonesJones and Jade Falcon like this.
  10. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

What about CJ? He was 0-5 in the first quarter with 3 fouls.
    Finished the game 8-19, 18 points, 4 turnovers, no assists, no free throws.
    Pretty horrible play by CJ.

This is the issue I have with people who criticize Lillard. They ignore when CJ plays horrible.

BonesJones likes this.
  11. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    It's obvious he's hurt now. Can't we agree on that? Not hatin..... Not hatin. Only one Dame.

BonesJones and Jade Falcon like this.
  12. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

The bottom line here is this:

1) Olshey needs to get us a 3rd option; especially with Turner out. He also needs to get us a decent PF.

2) REST! This team is worn out; especially Dame. This All Star break will be good for everyone.

Let's see where they are later this month.

BonesJones and H.C. like this.
  13. Troy.Ave

Troy.Ave Active Member

Cj hardly plays horrible admittingly so

14. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Disagree, CJ has cost Portland games the past two years for making poor decisions late in games.
    Forum has discussed this on previous threads.

15. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Dame is a fantastic player. He's just trying to do too much tight now. Great players make their teammates better. I don't see a lot of that with Dame, to be honest.

16. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    If he's hurt, he needs to sit down, rest and get healthy. He's doing no good shooting 3-19 after something like a 6-21 game against Atlanta.....that's a combined 9-40. That tells me he is hurt so shouldn't be playing since these games don't mean anything.