Lillard on LaMarcus Aldridge's impending free agency

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Apr 26, 2015.

1. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Mid-season, too, for cry sakes.

2. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Pretended to be a new poster.

3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I wouldn't go as far as to say worst defending PG. He's at least had moments of okay defense.

Whining? Yeah. It started right around the all star break. It annoys the crap out of me. I can still remember 3 plays that he cost us points because of it.

He's not focused. He's burnt out.

4. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

I think with another year together and being healed up from injuries will do this team right. I hope Aldridge sees that.

5. Public Defender

Public Defender brigadier general

asking questions
    He's not even the worst defending starting PG the Blazers have had in the last ten years. That'd be Sebastian Telfair.

The Blazers' history of having poor defense at that position is unfortunately, quite long. With the exception of Greg Anthony and Scottie Pippen (who covered up Damon Stoudamire's defensive deficiencies by guarding point guards), the Blazers haven't had a good defensive PG in decades. The Blazers' best teams in recent memory relied on good team defense.

As for Aldridge's looming free agency - if he mails it in for Game 4, allows his team to get swept out of the playoffs by a team that'll probably itself get bounced in the second round... will teams still line up to pay him the Max? Who knows. I wouldn't put it past lousy, desperate franchises like the Knicks and Lakers - but would Aldridge give up a good team that can pay him more than anyone else to play in a media circus like LA or NY, for a team in a tailspin?

6. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    And the reality is Aldridge can sign a max deal with a 1 year player option. It would give him the best of both worlds. He gets an additional year (6 total years) if he stays with the Blazers, or 5 years if he opted out and signs a new max on another team next summer.

Whatever Aldridge is comfortable with Olshey should make happen. It's important to make him feel that he's wanted

7. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Jabari said LA keeps bringing up that he felt like a third wheel behind Oden and Roy.

And he was.

KP shopped him for a mentor for Oden - or as LA put it "me for an older vet."

He's the plan C franchise guy who turned into a legit franchise player. He knows it and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him bolt.

Neil hasn't done enough. Afflalo's numbers clearly showed that he was declining from his Orlando days, and he gave up a first-rounder for him.

Bringing in stopgaps like Blake/Kaman/Afflalo aren't convincing, at least I wouldn't be if I were LA.

8. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

9. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Do you not understand that the AAA trade was done so he could be the 6th man off the bench for Wes? Or do you forget about really key details?

H.C. likes this.
  10. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    That was irrelevant - you don't give up a first-rounder for a player clearly on the decline. This was desperation on Neil's part.

Since ORL:

10.7 PER | 2.6 WS
    11.7 PER | 1.8 WS
    8.2 PER | 0.8 WS
    In his one game in the playoffs: -0.3 PER

He has stunk up the joint since coming to Portland. His abysmal numbers only proved my concerns. He makes Rudy Fernandez look like Wesley Matthews.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  11. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

What's interesting being the third wheel wasn't all that relevant 10 months ago when he he said he wanted to be the best blazer ever.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was on board the until the final month or two of the season. He sacrificed himself for the good of the team by postponing his surgery on his thumb until the end of the season. He came back spirited and put up some of his best production of the year number wise. His teammates repaid him by going out and giving a half hearted effort. As if they really didn't care. He was still going hard but many of his teammates were not in it at the same commitment level he was in it.

There has been a dark cloud over this franchise since his arrival. What was supposed to be something special with he, Oden and Roy was abruptly ended due to the career ending injuries of Roy and Oden. The Dark Cloud reared itself again this year not only with the injuries but in the way his teammates responded to him after he decided to post pone his surgery all for them and the organization.

If he doesn't feel like his teammates are with him and are all in it and don't share the commitment he has in winning. Do you think he would want to come back?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  12. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Didn't KP also say that Lamarcus could very well end up being the best of his draft class too?

13. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    KP said he wouldn't be surprised if LA turned out to be better then Roy
    http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/04/behind_the_locker_room_door_tr.html

H.C. likes this.
  14. Coast541

Coast541 It's better at the beach!

Do you think Harden is one of those people?

Why didn't he show up last year against Portland.

Some superstars just have bad series...

Tittyboy and magnifier661 like this.
  15. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I've been vocal that I don't think LA's return is a slam dunk and there are a number of reasons I could see him wanting to play somewhere else.

However, I don't find anything about not being on the team flight or stuff like that being overly worrisome, either. Just like the above, there could be any number of reasons, and, unless any of us has special access to LA and his private thoughts and feelings, we don't know.

I'm happy to get any information that can give us a clue as to what might happen, but I wouldn't go all in betting either way. I hope he stays, and I think the Blazers could be a legit competitor in the next couple of years if he does. I think if he leaves, we've got some major, major problems.

16. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I think, with our cap situation and the available assets, this was about the best Olshey could do, and, honestly, they've improved everything they were brought in to improve. They aren't perfect players, and that's why we were able to get them. If Wes Matthews doesn't get hurt, the Blazers are about as good as anyone.

The real test of Olshey is what he's able to accomplish this offseason with so many contracts ending. There aren't a lot of untouchables on this team, but the chemistry (as further evidenced by the decline once Wes got hurt) was a bigger reason for the success than the players' individual talent. You need that, but you also need pure talent so that guys can be plugged in to play and you don't miss much of a beat when guys get injured.

The key is selling LA on Olshey on being able to make the right moves and getting him to come back. Then the next key is making the right moves after LA is back on board, because it's undeniable that some moves must be made.