Livingston a Blazer

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazer4life, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    You start with practice and garbage time and impress the coach that you know what you're doing and playing the right way. Then you might start getting 5-10 minutes of meaningful game time. Soon, you're leading the team like Jason Kidd in his prime and are the 12-year starter at point guard for a 6-time champion.

Or maybe he just gets buried and tossed into some deadline deal. It could go either way. ;)

2. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Sergio better hope and pray that the starters and second unit make a regular habit of creating 15-20 point blowouts so he can get some burn late in fourth quarters, otherwise I see him maybe getting 5-8 minutes a night (with more than a couple DNPs on his stat line).

I think it's almost guaranteed that Sergio is a trade deadline piece ... to where and for what? I have no idea, but unless he completely transformed his game over the summer learning to actually shoot and/or play defense his days are numbered in a Blazers uniform.

3. Blazer4life

Blazer4life Member

Considering Sergio didnt get 5 minutes of meaningful time when we had turnover machine Jack running our 2nd team last year, i cant see there being minutes there for him this year (especially when we all know that Roy and Rudy will play together thus Roy absorbing some of those point guard minutes).

4. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

Oooh. What a let down. Way to burst the bubble, hoopsworld. No big deal, in my mind. It may have been nice to have Livingston's rights, but from all accounts it sounded like he would never be able to play at a high level again. Any reports that say otherwise or are we just hoping that he'll be productive?

5. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    :ghoti:
    :cheers:

I think we didnt sign him because Livingston and his agent wanted a contract that KP and TP werent comfortable with.

6. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Very possible. It's also likely that KP decided, based on the players we have, Shaun simply isn't needed. Also possible: Another deal fell through that was a precursor to signing him.

I'll give the news a rousing: "Oh, well."

Looks like I may need a new avatar.

:cheers:

7. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Do we know if the Blazers passed on SL after reviewing medical records or because a contracted couldn't get worked out?

At the time Blazers were evaluating SL, KP made it clear it was a two step process. I wonder which step it stopped at . . .

8. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

As I said, my guess is that it was due to the contract Livingston and his agent wanted.
    If we did pass due to his medical records/knee, I doubt KP could publicly say that because it would hamper Livingston's chances of signing on with another team.

9. Cake

Cake Member

Yeah, and wasn't the physical exam and records check several days ago? The certainly had time to review all the info that's out there. I'm betting this was a contract issue.

10. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I think it has more to do with roster space than contract issues. With Raef out, I think KP wants to keep Hill around as a practice player. That means that in order to sign Livingston, the Blazers would have had to waive LaFrentz, thereby losing any ability to trade him and his expiring contract prior to the deadline. Given the uncertainty of Livingston's future in the league, that contract flexibility is worth more to the Blazers.

Tough call.

11. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Any word on offers from other teams? Maybe he used us as leverage to get a deal with Miami? :dunno:

It's all just speculation on our part and spin on the part of KP & Co. What would the boards do without it? :clap: