LMA; Mr Unpopular

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by DreamKillah, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I think Neil knew deep down (or should have) but gambled that he could sell him on staying. Ultimately this all boils down to Neil making a bad bet and not being proactive.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  2. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I still don't think Aldridge meant to be deceptive when he talked up playing his career in Portland. I think he meant it when he said it, he's just indecisive--on the court and off it--and eager to please. It's hard to be steely enough to tell media and fans who desperately want you to stay that you're leaving--especially when it feels like maybe you "should" stay.

In other words, I think Aldridge is wishy-washy, not malicious or cunning.

riverman, B-Roy, Reep and 2 others like this.
  3. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Why would you think he should have been dealt after the 2012 season? He was locked up for three more seasons on a reasonable contract and only 26 at the time. Sure the Blazers had a disappointing season, after losing Roy to retirement, Felton showing up fat, vets like Gerald Wallace and Marcus Camby under-performing, Nate getting fired, etc., but Aldridge and two lottery picks seemed like a good start to turning the roster around.

BNM

dviss1 likes this.
  4. Boob-No-More

I agree. Most of his comments about wanting to stay, becoming the greatest Blazer ever, etc. were made the summer after we beat HOU in 2014. After the Blazers took the league by surprise by winning 54 games and advancing to the second round for the first time in 14 years, the entire city and the team were on an emotional high. I think Aldridge was caught up in that and meant what he said at the time.

Think about it, Olshey went out and got Aldridge the true 7-footer he wanted to do the dirty work, replacing J.J. Hickson with Robin Lopez. The team improved from 33 wins to 54 wins, legitimately beat HOU (no injuries to blame) who was a higher seed and supposedly had better superstars, Aldridge KILLED it in the HOU series. Everybody was happy and excited about the team at that time. Optimism was running high. He had no reason to leave at that time.

Fast forward a year later, to when he actually left and left Neil high and dry. I think the Matthews' injury was the turning point. Until the injury, the team was 40-19, looking at having HCA in the first round and basically building on the previous season. Wes goes down (after the trade deadline) and the wheels fell off. The team lost HCA and ended up with an unfavorable match up with MEM in the first round. Contrast Aldridge's play in the first round against HOU the year before with his play against MEM. Completely different player and attitude. He seemed completely disengaged in the MEM series and seemed like he already had one foot out the door. At that point, we couldn't trade him unless we did a sign and trade, but SAS was able to clear enough cap space to offer him a max. contract without gutting their team, so he left and we got nothing.

I don't think he was being deceptive at the time he made the comments, I think he just changed his mind when the 2014-15 season fell apart. That all happened after the trade deadline. So, it's not like we had a lot of options at that point anyway.

BNM

Dougnsalem, Red Rooster and Strenuus like this.
  5. Boob-No-More

So, when should have Neil traded him? After the 2013-14 season when the team shocked everybody, won 54 games and beat HOU in the first round, or at the 2015 trade deadline when the team was on pace to have HCA in the first round and had just acquired Arron Afflalo to supposedly strengthen our bench heading into the post season?

He may have still thought he could resign Aldridge in the summer of 2015, but at that point, Aldridge was an unrestricted free agent and held all the cards.

BNM

6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Exactly. That marginal contact MF lied up to the end. His dumbass could've gotten a 5 year deal in a sign and trade.

7. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

You guys are all haters! HATERS! LMA is playing so good that he is most likely going to send Pops, Manu, and Parker to retirement after the playoffs. Not even Duncan could do that.

8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Listen to you motherfuckers softening your stances on Lamarcus. In my opinion he's a selfish liar through and through and knew that he was going to leave. You don't remember him quitting on us against Memphis?? Come on!! He was not fucking indecisive. He made his decision in game 3!

So what? Are we supposed to retire TT's #12 now?? Ever?? Hell, the fuck, no!!

BonesJones and ripcityboy like this.
  9. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

After the 2013 season (I was thinking 2012 was Dame's rookie year, but it was 2012-2013) when there were rumors that he wanted out. That was the time to do it.

The Cavs were rumored to have offered the #1 pick and Tristan Thompson.

There were rumors that Golden State offered David Lee and Klay Thompson.

That was when it should have been done.

Nikolokolus and tester551 like this.
  10. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Nope. They did away with that option in the CBA. S&T can only be 4 years.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q93

11. Red Rooster

Red Rooster Bearded Villain

12. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I would be more likely to agree with you if there weren't rumors that he wanted out after Dame's rookie season. He very well might have been indecisive, but I always got the feeling that he didn't like it here, and that he was going to go home. My original thought was to Dallas, but going to the Spurs is basically the same thing. He went back to Texas. He went closer to his mom. He just never really bought into Portland. I remember reading that he was unhappy with his extension, and he always seemed jaded about how Roy and Oden were more popular/more marketed. He played nice because he was stuck here.

tester551 likes this.
  13. Boob-No-More

The reason he "wanted out" after Dame's rookie season was because he didn't want another year of playing next to a 6'9" power forward playing out of position at center (J.J. Hickson). He told Neil he wanted to play next to a legitimate 7-footer who could bang down low for 30 minutes a game. Neil went out and got Robin Lopez, who fit great next to Aldridge and the team went from 33 wins to 54.

That seemed to placate Aldridge up until the Matthews' injury and the wheels complete fell off in the MEM series. But, by then Aldridge was an unrestricted free agent and controlled his own destiny. Other than offering Aldridge a max contract, there was nothing else Neil could do.

I think that is where Neil may have overplayed his hand. He seemed content to let Aldridge field other offers, knowing he could offer more than anyone else. Aldridge seemed to take offense that Neil wasn't on the phone with him at 12:01am on July 1 offering a 5-year max. deal. Instead, Neil basically told Aldridge to see what else was out there and then give Neil the chance to come up with a better offer.

That tells me two things: either Neil was arrogant and assumed his ability to offer Aldridge more than anyone else was his trump card, or Neil didn't really want to keep Aldridge if it meant paying him the max. Either way, I think Neil fucked up.

He should have just offered Aldridge the max deal up front, and then if either party became unhappy down the road, trade Aldridge and get something of value in return. If we would have locked him up and wanted to move him later, someone would have been glad to take him off our hands. All of LAL, PHO and SAS (and probably a few more) were prepared to pay Aldridge the max. So, even with a big contract, he would have been movable.

BNM

BonesJones, BBert and Dougnsalem like this.
  14. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

dviss1 likes this.
  15. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    I hope they get nothing for that was asshole. But they will probably flip him for three first round picks right ahead of the Blazers picks. And all those players will turn into starters. Because they are the fucking Spurs! The greatest organization since the Red Cross was founded!

16. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

...one huge area of concern remains for San Antonio: the existence of LaMarcus Aldridge.

In the second half, those small-ball lineups revolved around Pau Gasol, not Aldridge, because the latter Spurs star is bogging his team down on both ends of the court.

He continues to hold the ball too long on offense, giving the Rockets time to react to San Antonio's timing offense. Far more egregious, however, is Aldridge's defense.

When the Rockets aren't shooting themselves in the foot, they're putting Aldridge in endless pick-and-rolls, daring him to commit to stopping Harden above the 3-point line.

Aldridge prefers to sag back on defense, an approach Popovich encourages because he knows his slow-footed big man doesn't have what it takes to hedge out on screens and recover in time to stop an easy dunk at the rim. But Houston thrives when bigs offer such soft coverage, essentially playing 5-on-4 with one opponent frozen to the free-throw line.

The Spurs can find a middle ground here. For one, Popovich told reporters after the game Aldridge is "working through some things," although the coach denied Aldridge has a knee injury.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/galler...ge-game-2-houston-rockets-nba-playoffs-050417

17. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Those are the same complaints we had.

18. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Odd--I remember Aldridge being praised repeatedly for his ability to effectively cover point guards when switched out on them back when he was a Blazer (not by you, @dviss1--you've always maintained that he was a poor perimeter defender). Is this revisionist history on my part?

19. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Yup, this is exactly the issue I noted before. He's fine as a one-on-one defender against another big but, increasingly, that's less important (though not worthless). He's not quick enough to switch or hedge on the pick-and-roll, but sagging back is for shot-blocking bigs like DeAndre Jordan--Aldridge is not a particularly note-worthy rim defender.

His offensive game and defensive game are dinosaurs.

20. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Possibly. I don't recall such praise (or condemnations) but I've never thought he was great moving his feet on the perimeter. While I didn't think he was awful for a big man, he's also older now and losing quickness.