Looking ahead

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PCmor7, May 19, 2019.

1. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    That would definitely not be funny if someone posted a picture of your "teeets" in here.

Dougnsalem and BonesJones like this.
  2. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

So you just proved his point.

BonesJones likes this.
  4. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

They shouldnt be. He has no more qualification than you or me outside of (maybe) being able to articulate and hes able to formulate articles well. But basketball-wise? No more qualified than us.

I can't wait until he comes in here to blast me because I didn't say he's more special than everyone.

5. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

No Strenuus, and your refusal to face facts is glaring! For each of the 20, 13, 18, and 14 attempts that I quoted from BBall-ref, those swish3 attempts are >12/game.

In the 1st half of WCF Game 4, Meyers was better than Steph in swish3s. In the Jan 30 Jazz win, Meyers outplayed defensive MVP Rudy Gobert. Meyers deserves recognition and I applaud him. We can beat GSW if we can continue the game plan executed in the 1st half to continue in the 2nd half, in other words, keep feeding the hot hand.

6. BonesJones

Read.
    My.
    Post.

7. BonesJones

Meh
    Bleh
    Ew

8. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

you probably know more about the CBA than I do, but I have a few questions about what you posted there

* start with the Blazers at 126M in guarantees. What I read has been that Nurkic had received his 1.25M bonus. The thresholds were Portland winning 50 games and Nurkic playing in 70 games. Those were considered "unlikely" this season. But because both thresholds were passed this season, those bonuses with be considered "likely" next season and count against the cap; meaning 127.2M guaranteed. Am I missing something?

* I thought there was a CBA provision that if a team gets hard-capped, they were allowed to carry a roster of only 12 players?

* the 890K minimum salary....isn't that only for players who haven't played in the NBA?...like 2nd round picks and un-drafted players with no NBA games?

regardless of all that, I can't see how Portland can take the risk of using the full-MLE unless they dump a big chunk of salary. And the scenario you described where the Blazers were right at the limit doesn't account for Aminu and Layman

by the way, Dallas will have about 13M in cap-space at the time of the draft. Turner + 2019 1st for Courtney Lee? Drops 6M off of the guarantees; still not enough to comfortably use the full-MLE. I'd also wonder if Dallas would be interested in Meyers + 1st for a TPE. But Olshey is probably planning on extending Meyers...again

hoopsjock likes this.
  9. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    My math didn't account for that but I believe Harkless' bonus would go back to being unlikely ($500,000) which also wasn't accounted for, so that negates a portion of it making me off by about $750,000. Although if you are hard capped you might have to turn all bonuses from unlikely to likely no matter how unrealistic they are. I'm unclear of that though as it can be really confusing trying to decipher the terminology in the CBA.

I'm not 100% sure but I think in the new CBA you have to carry 14 unless you just made a trade in which case you have 2 weeks to get back to 14. The roster holds only account for 12 players. Besides, with Nurk's injury it's unrealistic to have only 12 on the roster.

Correct. Although there is another confusing part of the CBA here in which minimum salary is different for years of service but the difference is paid by the NBA I believe. I think it still counts towards the cap as the full amount though (which doesn't make sense to me). I don't know, ha ha, but that's why I put in my post undrafted free agents.

Yeah, I mentioned we'd have to renounce Aminu and Layman. I think my post paints a pretty dim outlook if the Full-MLE was used without clearing cap room but it was more just a basis of what would need to be done if we were to use it.

I wouldn't be too upset with a trades like that but despite the flood of expiring contracts for next season, I am still holding out hope that between having $41.4 million in expirings and perhaps a willingness to include draft picks that we can still pull off a big trade that other teams would be unwilling to consider. I don't want to get hard capped unless we somehow cleared a crazy amount of space and weren't in any danger of paying tax.

That's not true, you seem pretty knowledgeable about the CBA. I used to read it for fun but haven't really had a chance to memorize the latest one so I get caught thinking about rules from the previous one.

You should play in our mock off season! It's a lot of fun!
    http://www.sportstwo.com/threads/rip-city-two-2019-mock-off-season.345040/

10. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

to some of your points:

"When a player has been in the NBA for three or more seasons, and is playing under a one-year, 10-day or Rest-of-Season contract at the minimum salary, the league reimburses the team for part of his salary -- any amount above the minimum salary for a two-year veteran. For example, the minimum salary for a two-year veteran in 2017-18 is $1,471,382, so for a ten-year veteran, with a minimum salary of $2,328,652, the league would reimburse the team $857,270. Only the two-year minimum salary is included in the team salary, not the player's full salary. They do this so teams won't shy away from signing older veterans simply because they are more expensive than younger veterans."

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q22

the 2nd year minimum will be a shade under 1.6M this season. Considering Portland's tax situation this is an important consideration. I think that's a factor in using the 25th pick because it could have a significantly bigger impact on the cap than a vet minimum deal. I'm thinking that because:

"There is a special procedure in place to phase-in a 45% increase to the rookie salary scales for the 2017-18 through 2019-20 seasons (15% per year over three years). There is a "baseline" scale for 2017-18 that does not include the 15% increase used for the actual 2017-18 rookie scale. For 2018-19 they first apply the percentage change in the salary cap from 2017-18 (as described above) to the 2017-18 baseline scale to create the 2018-19 baseline scale, and then they increase all resulting amounts by 30% to create the actual rookie scale. For 2019-20 they repeat the process, starting with the baseline scale for 2018-19, applying the cap percentage increase or decrease to create the 2019-20 baseline scale, and then applying a 45% increase to create the 2019-20 rookie scale."

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q47

the baseline 2018-19 rookie scale for the 25th pick is $1,468,400. Cap is increasing by about 8% so the starting 2019-20 baseline for the 25th pick is about 1.586M. Applying the 45% to that bumps the new baseline to 2.3M. And if Portland gives the customary 120% bump allowed to scale, that 1st year salary for the 25th pick could be 2.76M. I'm half-convinced I'm doing something worng there because that seems high. But I do remember reading that the 3rd year of those rookie scale bumps were going to spike really high. If that number is close, a vet could cost a million less than a rookie and you know what you're getting with a vet. And a million less in salary could mean 2-3M less in tax

11. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of NBA coaches are hard to understand. The "trust" thing is one aspect that fans find hard to figure out (at least I do), especially for a role player. Even if player A is better overall, or is more complementary to the lineup, the NBA coach might still go with player B because they "trust" player B, or don't "trust" player A.

12. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

All of those things are right. The Blazers can beat OKC and Denver in a playoff series, but aren't close to beating Golden State.

13. BonesJones