Loss of Deng hurt the Bulls

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    The cap hit is easy to find, if that's what you mean.

If you mean how much actual cash they paid out, as in the total amount of the checks they wrote, you won't find that, sorry.

As far as I know, nobody on the internet keeps track of the amount of cash paid out, because that only effects the PROFIT!!! margin.

Those numbers are useless unless you also know how much the Bulls took in on concession sales, parking fees, that kind of stuff.

And how much they paid for ticket-takers, parking attendants, the lady who cleans Reinsdorf's office, that kind of stuff.

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Nobody on the internet keeps track because the teams don't exactly hand over their contracts for inspection by wanna be cap gurus.

Serious question: did anyone know about Noah having a bonus written in his contract for sure? I mean before the bulls freaked out about losing profit and cut Erik Murphy.

3. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Wow, someone on the Internet does know!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/01/25/the-most-and-least-profitable-nba-teams/

The league’s most profitable team is the Chicago Bulls, who have a five-year average profit of $55 million.

To determine the most and least profitable teams in the NBA, we used a five-year average of team operating incomes in the sense of earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization. The average NBA team had an annual operating income of $8 million over the last five years.

A large portion of Chicago’s financial success is the result of an active fan base. The team has ranked among the top-three teams in terms of home attendance since 2004, and it has led the league in three of the last five seasons. That fan support highlights part of the value of playing in a major market.

[​IMG]

Hey, they have tool tips, too. Mouse over "Operating Income" and it says "earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization."

4. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

Now those are some Profits! :)

5. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    Really? Maybe someone does, but what does that have to do with the link you posted?

You specifically were looking for
    I don't say too many things aren't possible- aliens landed in Roswell, the mob killed Kennedy, the moon landing was faked, 9/11 was an inside job by the US Government- all theoretically possible.

But I can with 1,000,000% certainty that the article that opens from the link you posted does not know

While it could be possible to fake the moon landing, it is absolutely, positively impossible for an article posted in January of 2012 to know

You know what they don't have?

6. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    As usual, that couldn't be further from the truth.

Their cap hit is available.
    The date on which they signed their contract is available.
    The total amount of money they will be paid is available.
    Whether or not they receive a bonus when they get traded is available.
    How much of their salary is guaranteed is available.
    The amount of any signing bonus they received is available.
    The amount of their contract that is deferred is available.

As far as I can tell, the only contract detail that isn't readily available is the exact amount of cash the team paid out. And I'm sure it's out there somewhere, if you look hard enough. It's just not well promoted or well known.

And why would it be? Nobody is going to waste their time finding out those details because outside of the very tiny PROFIT!!!!! brigade, nobody gives a flying fuck.

It's simple economics, if there were a demand for the info, it would be out there and easy to find.

7. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    The Bulls are apparently awesome at making profits.

You know what else they are awesome at:

NBA Championships won in the last 25 years:

Bulls 6
    Spurs 5
    Lakers 5
    Heat 3
    Rockets 2
    Pistons 2
    Mavericks 1
    Celtics 1

8. kukoc4ever

Yah, but not so much under Paxson.

11 seasons of cashing paychecks as upper management.

2 division championships.
    0 conference championships.
    0 NBA championships.

Professional sports is supposed to be a results oriented business.

Of course, the Bulls are #3 on the Profits! list. And that's what really matters (as is the case with pretty much all businesses).

---------

Growing up with the Jordan Bulls I didn't really appreciate what was going on in terms of how rare a situation it was.

The great NBA franchises have built multiple championships across multiple eras. The Celtics have done this for decades. The Lakers with Showtime and then SHAQ-Kobe and then Kobe/Pau/Odom/Bynum.

The Spurs transitioned from Admiral / Duncan to Duncan/Parker/Manu. The Heat with Wade / SHAQ and then the BIG 3.

Heck, even the Pistons built the Bad Boys and then the vaunted "Pistons Model" team that led many people to believe that Hinrich-Godron-Nocioni-Deng could be the “Core 4” of a NBA Champion.

The Bulls have not done this to date. MJ, Pip, Jackson and Krause were a core that achieved a phenomenal amount of success over the course of nearly a decade.

The Bulls have not been relevant like that since or before. The Bulls are not a great NBA franchise in terms of a basketball outcomes standpoint, since the great ones can rebuild.

The current Bulls management have not shown that they can do that to this point. The basketball outcomes are just not there. They are riding the coattails of past greatness. They honestly don't have a leg to stand on if lecturing on attaining the most cherished NBA accomplishments, since they have not done it, despite many, many, many bites at the apple.

The Bulls remain towards the top of the Profits! list though. They also of course remain towards the middle to bottom when it comes to high payroll seasons in the tax era.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  9. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    K4E,

The Bulls are #1 over the past 5 seasons, averaging $55M in profit.

The Knicks have been #1 the past two seasons and set a record this past year.

Interestingly, the top two teams pay luxury tax. It's not like they're doing it for shits and giggles. The Lakers, as you say, rebuilt multiple times. The Knicks at least look like they're trying. They made big bold moves to get Amare (OK, maybe he turned out as good as or worse than Boozer) but didn't stop there and went and got Melo and Chandler and so on.

Not only does Forbes seem to have access to the teams' financial statements, they talk about how much debt the team has, stadium deals they may have with the city, gate receipts, player expenses, etc.

[​IMG]

That's for the 2009-10 season. How convenient for some, inconvenient for others!

10. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
  11. kukoc4ever

Well hidey ho!

Maybe they can start selling some green dollar sign themed Bulls big foam fingers.

12. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I'm a true fan. I already have one.

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Google hearsay .

One of us is right, and it's not you.

14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    On Sham's site, lu showed up as $14M+ then was traded mid season and all $14M was gone . He collected paychecks twice monthly until the trade. The Bulls' actual salary expense needs to factor that in. Since profit is the driving factor for the team, these things matter more than hearsay.

15. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
  16. TomBoerwinkle#1

TomBoerwinkle#1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The profit as driving factor "theory" is hearsay, assumes facts not in evidence, conjecture and lay testimony beyond the knowledge and scope of the credentials of the witness.

Objection sustained.

Any foundation you could lay would hold as much water as the 'terms not disclosed" Dr. Evil thing used to support whatever vague semi-point you seem to be raising.

Are you seeiously of tge opinion that despite Anthony's on the record statements that he struggled with his decision to accept Knicks money or go to the Bulls no offer from Chicago was presented. Show me some proof the Bulls did anyrhing less than offer less than everything they could.

If the Bulls were not interested in making the best offer they could why even bother? It makes no sense absent some foil hat theory.

17. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I don't think the Bulls talked a price with Melo. I never saw that reported anywhere. I did see it reported that they said they'd make it work if he wanted to come. Yep, it's all hearsay. I wasn't there. Nobody who was there is even on record that I've seen.

I'm not relying on any third party who heard that profit is Reinsdorf's motive . I see it in the team's activity and in direct quotes of the Chairman himself.

Objection overruled.

18. kukoc4ever

19. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    You know what's so comical?

You didn't have a bit of problem believing that Mirotic is getting the MLE because Woj "reported it".

Woj works for Yahoo!, BTW.

You're more than welcome to pick and choose which bits of media reports you believe, and I'm more than welcome to laugh at you for being such a hypocrite.

And just because the team didn't release contract details, doesn't mean his agent, his butler, GASOL didn't tell someone.

The Republican National Committee didn't release the details of Watergate, yet somehow we all found out about it.

Thanks for the laughs, as usual.

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Here's the thing BV.

I don't know at all if Mirotic is getting the MLE. I wasn't in the room when he signed. I haven't seen his contract posted on the Internet so I can read it.

I've seen it posted at various sites that his buyout was in the millions and on others that this millions figure was a mistake. Maybe it cost way less to bring him onboard.

All I did was do the math to verify that figures posted that I've seen were MLE. They seem to be.

I've known about Sham's site since he first started it and asked me to help him get it off the ground. FWIW.

I know storyteller, too.

What these guys do is maintain a spreadsheet of what they think the salary data is. When they see a report in the news that they're comfortable with using, they update the spreadsheet.

There's no telling if the data is 100% correct. If may be correct for 1 contract or every one or something in between. If I had to bet, it'd be in between.