Lotto No More

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Strenuus, Feb 9, 2016.

1. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Lose 4 out of 5 starters.

Make the Playoffs anyway.

WINNING

2. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

It is a good point overall but the Knicks? They are a mess right now.

3. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Third game of a 6-game east coast road trip, and the Knicks have 3 weeks to get things together before we get there. Recall we barely beat the Nets in Brooklyn, and then got blown out by Philly. No game is a gimme.

4. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yeah we've played really well. I don't see us getting a top lottery pick even with a significant injury. We're close to 30 wins already many teams won't finish the year there.

I've accepted being fine with losing our pick. Yeah a future pick would've been nice but think if CJ was worthless this year; yeah we'd have a good pick but I like our current state of the roster much better. Even with no additions our roster has potential to grow in future seasons. But we do have that flexibility for an addition too.

Losing the pick means we don't owe Denver anything going forward. So in a sense if we make the playoffs we will have gained either a 2017 first round pick or multiple second round picks if you'd rather look at it that way.

I think making the playoffs could be a significant factor in free agency. Not that it locks up a signing or anything but if a player is choosing between us and another team seeing that we're already in the playoffs and full of young players trending upwards is a benefit. Houston is a good example signing Dwight Howard; if they miss the playoffs that first year with only Harden perhaps he looks elsewhere. The only question is who is our Chandler Parsons?

Darkwebs likes this.
  5. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Not that I diagree with you on the last part but then you could have listed every single game from here on out :)

6. PtldPlatypus

True. Instead I simply listed all road games, and home games against teams over .500 (not counting Houston, whom we own). But sure, our next 22 are still very tough.

Eastoff likes this.
  7. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I wanted the pick, and the higher the better, but I never wanted to 'tank' to get there. Players should play, and ours are playing to win. Good for them. They've made it much less likely the Blazers will draft someone who can take their job. Even if we finish out of the playoffs, our pick will be mediocre. So...playoffs (and) bust!

:cheers:

blue9 and Eastoff like this.
  8. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Conference Finals.

42N8Bounce likes this.
  9. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I think we can go 7-8 in those 15.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

We've had a lot more success closing out games than early on where we lost a lot of them by a few points. I think we'll be better from here until the playoffs and nothing prepares a team for the playoffs better than good competition..also some of those elite teams will rest starters before the playoffs, so there's that factor as well

Eastoff likes this.
  11. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    This is basketball purgatory. Not a good place to be. Too bad to do anything in the playoffs, to good to get a good pick. No thanks.

12. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Not when everyone on the team is young.

Am I losing my mind here?

Tanking is bullshit. Doesn't work. No thanks to that!

13. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

So you must think, what 25 teams are in purgatory?

14. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Lol purgatory, if we make the playoffs that shows free agents we are real close to contending. With our HUGE cap space we will have this summer, it's almost better than having a pick in the 10-14 range.

15. BlazerCaravan

Exactly! We have 11 players still on their rookie contracts. ELEVEN! We're carrying a roster with three rookies, two second year players (one starter) , three third year players (two starters), and three fourth year players (one starter). Four of our five starters are on their rookie deal. All of our starters are 25 or younger.

WE DO NOT NEED MORE YOUNG PEOPLE. We need experience!

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  16. BlazerCaravan

If our five starters were at their ceiling, then maybe this would be a big deal. All five of our regular starters are 25 or younger. Nine of the ten players who have started even a single game this year are 25 or younger (Kaman started two games early in the season). We are playing better than .667 ball in the last 22 games.

This is a team of 11 Luke Skywalkers, 1 Han Solo (Ed Davis), 1 Obi-Wan (Henderson), and 1 Yoda (Kaman). If we had more Obi-Wans, I'd be inclined to agree we need an influx of youth. But we got that last summer. We got a metric fuckton of youth. We do not need more youth.

17. ThugginPaulyGAllen

ThugginPaulyGAllen Active Member

I disagree. The likelihood, in the NBA, that we lose all 15 of those games is virtually zero, making it not very easy to lose any and every one of them. I would say it is much more likely we go around .500 than it is that we go .000. Although I wouldn't punch a playoff ticket yet, the true critical games will be the ones against other teams fighting for a playoff spot - and teams below .500. Also, Memphis losing Gasol just helped that a little bit.

It would also be a good idea to look at the schedules of the teams we are competing against for the last playoff spots.

18. PtldPlatypus

Very likely and very easy are too completely different things. Our players are too good for it to be likely to lose them all, but it would certainly be easy.

Also, note that I identified only 15 out of 22 games. Do you honestly think that there's a near .000 chance that we go 7-15 over a 22 game stretch? Or are you just commenting on the likelihood of me picking the specific 15 games?

19. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Wait... I thought this was a team of young 20 year olds in their first season together. Did I travel through time again? What year is it? Did Kingspeed ever get his money? Is Trump president? Is Jar Jar supreme leader Snoke? Do these pants make my butt look big?

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The pants are fine Fonz...what you need to lose are the adult diapers under them...they do make your butt look big:)

PDXFonz likes this.