Loyalty

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by 1eyejack, Jul 6, 2015.

1. 1eyejack

1eyejack Active Member

from this day forward I will NOT complain when we trade players away at the end of their contracts. for example if Lillard comes to the end of his contract and won't sign contract extension them trade him. That kills me to say but thats reality of the NBA. And yes I'm a big Lillard fan but this is a business.

Losing players for nothing is a franchise killer.

Last point letting Wes walk was a great decision. Would be risky to pay a guy the crazy money he got paid especially for 4 year contract after the injury he had. I wish nothing but the best for Wes and glad he got paid

2. ChadWick

ChadWick Portland's All-Star

Student
    Totally agree. Lillard is the loyal type, I'm not worried about him. And I loved Wes, but it was smart not to offer him anything. Too risky. Maybe if LMA came back, give Wes a two year deal. He was looking to get paid though.

1eyejack likes this.
  3. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

I actually liked that we just have the cap space versus throwaways from other teams.

4. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Ftfy.

Neil/Vulcans took that risk.

5. 1eyejack

1eyejack Active Member

I guess I don't get that. You don't think we could have gotten good players in return for Aldridge or at least a decent draft pick? Cap space hasn't done us any good the last two times we had it.

6. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

Cap space means nothing in this market imo

7. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

And I believe this is why batum was traded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. EL PRESIDENTE

We remain flexibile for teams looking to clear space for next year's FA race. Teams will be looking to unload players at the trade deadline.

9. EL PRESIDENTE

The problem with capspace last time is we held onto it for several years.

Why do we need a "decent draft pick", our team is now young as fuck.
    Unless its a top 3 draft pick, who cares.

Define "good players". Unless its an allstar, who cares. We have enough mediocre role players.

10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Just because we don't get the top FA to come here does not mean Cap space is worthless. Very seldom do you get a star back for a star when that player might not resign. Cap space still allows you to sign players.

11. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Has our history with draft picks been stellar? I would rather grab players who are a little less risky.

12. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    This offseason s going to change the average Blazer fan and not for the better. Portland fans have put it with a lot but I would expect a lot of pessimism and ill feelings in the future. It's hard to be a sports fan in this state and you can only get your heart ripped out so many times. I don't see a return to the love fest between the team and Rip City any time soon. The players are employees, that's it.

Spud147 likes this.
  13. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Speak for yourself man. Blazers for life here. Nothing is always going to go right, and once in a while everything goes wrong, but its that way in life and if a Blazers fan expects more, then they are just setting themselves up for a let down. Do you know how hard it is to be a consistent winning team in a small market? How many teams have never won a ring? I think its still double digits.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think since the Blazers inception, they have the best record in league history.

The Blazers are still an elite franchise regardless of our current, newly formed and untested roster.

A Blazers fan isn't going to stop being a fan because we get an owner or GM they may not like, or a losing team or a thug of a team. A Blazer fan is just that a BLAZER fan. Now if your just a fan of basketball, or sports in general, then yes they will move on, but then were they really a Blazer fan>?

Life can make you happy and life can make you sad, just like the Blazers, but you don't go committing suicide over it unless your not a true Blazers fan and if your not, then you should move, pick a new team or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I know what your getting at, but I just disagree. A true fan is a true fan and this true fan is getting more and more excited to see these young guys play. 42+ in 15'-16' baby!!!!!

HailBlazers likes this.
  14. ripcityboy

self employed
    When did I say anything about not being a fan? I am not talking about fan loyalty, I am talking about the team's relationship with the club. There are peaks and valleys in Fandom that effect you. I am pointing that out.

15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

This is not what you said in your first post. You said the relationship between the team and Rip City, which I took you to mean the fans in the city.

Where in this post do you discuss the relationship between the club and the team? You said fans in the city?
    Come on now.....

16. BlazerBeav

BlazerBeav Well-Known Member

How about go right EVER?! Nothing has gone right for this franchise since early May of 2000. Since then it's been one disaster after another.

santeesioux likes this.
  17. ripcityboy

self employed
    "Pessimism, I'll feelings," sounds like I am describing fans reactions......

18. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Maybe for you. I see pretty much all my Blazer friends on Twitter being pretty positive.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Listen guys, this can be spun either way. IF you tend to want to look at the doom and gloom portion of the glass being half empty, that's your right, but I think many, if not most are already warming to the idea of a new era with athletic youth.

Blazerbeav? Nothing is black and white like that and EVER AND NEVER are usually pretty misused words. I feel your pain, but you gotta see the light.
    Since 2000 we have seen how many all stars come and go? I know there are a few teams that have maybe only had one or two compared to the many we have had.
    Portland has a step up on most smaller markets because of our winning history, dedicated fan base and good ownership with money to spend.

You guys can spin the dark ages coming soon, or you can spin the youth movement. your choice. Personally, I am so sick of the negativity, most of my comments these days are to simply counter them.

magnifier661 likes this.
  20. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

I believe this gets changed before we have to worry about it again.

The current system punishes teams since they have to take a chance to resign their free agents, risking getting nothing in return. Does the NBA want 14 or more teams tanking while half the league tries competing?