Politics Lying

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Stevenson, Oct 30, 2019.

1. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    This thread is about Lying, Trump, Hillary politics and all that. I think you're getting this and the archaeology thread confused.

2. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Since we are on engineer jokes, my favorite is about the guy in the hot air balloon that spots a man on a beach and asks him where he is because he promised his friend that he will meet him in 30 minutes.

The man on the beach tells him - you are 30 ft in the air, here are your longitude and latitude coordinates and the wind flows from the north at such and such speed.

The man in the air balloon says "you must be an engineer".
    - 'I am, how did you know?'
    - 'Whatever you told me might be right - but it did not help me at all and I am still lost'

The engineer counters:
    - 'You must be a manager'
    - 'How did you know?'
    - 'you don't know where you are or where you are going, you made a promise you can't keep and somehow you believe that it is my fault'.

3. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    It's enough to give me heart burn too. But what you going to do?

4. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Linux! Which I pretty much hate working with lol.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  5. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Your “joke” hits the nail right on the head. Engineers are never wrong, it’s always someone else’s screw up, and close enough” is good enough to get paid and who cares anyway? It some other poor sap’s job to operate the piece of shit. Time for the engineer to move on to the next boondoggle. At least you’re honest about it.....thank you for that.

6. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    That's full of shit. I told you, engineers are not the screw ups, management is. Who do you think screwed up the Boeing 737 Max? Engineers? No, it was management. The engineers knew there was a problem and wanted to fix it but management overrode them because of schedule problems for them.
    I remember working at Emerson Electric and I showed management how we could build a power supply cheaper and more reliable based on my experience at Tektronix and was told no thanks because they already had a design and they had a schedule to keep. I also had a design which someone didn't want to do because they were going to use off the shelf government parts which meant that my design which offered users of this armored anti tank weapon more communications range did not get picked.
    As for the close enough addage, you'd have no electronic medical instruments if everything had to be absolutely perfect or if you did have such instruments they would cost so much that only the ueber wealthy could afford operations that required those instruments. No, you'd best thank engineers for the life style that you demand. I don't think you'd be willing to live in a cave and hunt with a spear. I take it you drive a car or perhaps ride a bike.

7. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Whatever. My experiences are the absolute direct opposite of yours. I learned a very long time ago that the only thanks I could give an engineer was when they drove away and left us alone. Ironically, whenever it was proven the engineers were wrong, virtually every one invariably responded with, “Oh well. Why point fingers? What is the value in that?” It never crossed their minds that the “value” was in learning humility, along with other (also correct) points of view. There was a very good reason we never seemed to stick with an engineering consultant for very long until we finally found one that (for whatever reason) was more “enlightened”.....anyway Lanny, this is a topic you and I will never see eye to eye on so let’s not waste any more of our time. Go Blazers!

8. Lanny

Agreed, I positively hate wasting my time going round and round while getting nowhere.

9. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    Well, I am going to add my tangentially relevant favorite government worker joke:

Three boys are on the playground.
    The first says: "My dad is superman, and he's so fast, he gets home from work in one minute."
    The second says, "So what, my dad is the Flash and he gets home from work in one second!"
    The third says, " I have you both beat. My dad works for the state and he gets home from work an hour early."

andalusian likes this.
  10. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

TIL Jesus was an engineer.

But then again so was Pontius Pilate, that cross worked perfectly.

Lanny likes this.
  11. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I don't think Pilate put the plans together for it. He was the manager in this scenario.

trailblazer18, Lanny and SlyPokerDog like this.
  12. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

yep....he was an imported intern pulling duty in Jerusalem.

trailblazer18, Lanny and SlyPokerDog like this.
  13. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    umm, fix what? And engineering screw up.

14. Hoopguru

lol...accountants and engineers! necessary evils!
    Theres nothing more boring than to sit in an annual sales meeting listening to 1/2 doz engineers talk about the next phase and why the last phase didn't meet performance criteria.
    Lanny, for an engineer you have a great personality and ornery streak which is great!

15. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

As described here, the engineer isn't going to get his prize. The rule is that you get the woman if you get to the other side. It doesn't say that she's willing to move within 2" of the line so that the engineer's dick can touch her.

barfo

Hoopguru likes this.
  16. Hoopguru

I dint know engineers had sex?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  17. Lanny

I do my job well. One time I shared a design with a big shot engineer who turned manager of an engineering group. I gave him my written proof that my design would work under all conditions. He had the authority and turned it down. He submitted a different design and said it was quicker to implement and less complicated. His design failed and we had to use my design which for all I know is still in use some 35 years later. I calculated mine while his was done with gut feeling, i.e. on the fly. That was at Tektronix.
    A few years later the same thing happened at my new job at Emerson Electric. This time it was a lead engineer who said we didn't need all the material on my mechanical design (not my forte) and he opted for his design which didn't work. Whose design did we wind up using? Yep, moi.
    One common human frailty I've noticed. Whenever the boss asks how soon we will be done on a task every single human being be they manager, salesman or even a lot of engineers will give an answer that is considerably shorter than the task will actually take. This is particularly troublesome in estimating which includes schedule modifications when I worked at Boeing. Nobody wants to hear the truth and I guess that drives a lot of the error. This was first pointed out to me by a fellow engineer and I observed that he was right. Now, I get to pass it along to you.

Hoopguru likes this.
  18. Lanny

Not true, the rule says if you reach the line you can have the woman.
    Now, what does reach the line mean? To the engineer it means getting close enough but to the other two nerds it means getting exactly to the line.
    No prize for you.
    Yet another night of beer and tv.

19. Hoopguru

You know i'm razzing you! Ive always felt engineers were like some politicians, they never listen to what customers want in the way of creature comforts or cost.

20. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

"Reach the line" means whatever the rulemaker says it means.

Engineers don't make the rules.

barfo