Magic Fact or Fiction

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by bbwTwinTowers, Aug 9, 2004.

1. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

On Darko: I definitely agree. I think a huge part of the negociating process will be guarenteeing Darko consistent playing time. He seems to be the perfect compliment to Dwight and now that Brian Hill is gone, hopefully we use him a lot (and use him the right way which means letting him shoot some mid range shots and play outside of the paint a little on offense).

On Vince: Fact. Something tells me Vince Carter will be a Magic player next season. I know a lot of people on this board hate the idea right now (including me) but I think it'll grow on me if it happens. Carter seems like the kind of player who you hate unless he's on your team. If it's not Vince, it will be someone like Rashard Lewis or Ray Allen and that really gets me excited for next season. The Magic brass have been looking forward to this offseason since the Francis trade and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Fact or Fiction: Dwight Howard will average 20+ points per game next season.

2. Sergio

Sergio JBB JustBBall Member

Fiction: if he doesn't improve his FT shooting and develope his offensive game in the offseason, I don't see him averaging 20+ ppg, especially not if the magic sign someone like Carter/Lewis/Allen...

Fact or Fiction: JJ Redick and Trevor Ariza will be starters next year.

3. bbwSwish

Very true, a big time scorer would definitely decrease Dwight's offensive production.

On Redick and Ariza: Fiction. I wouldn't be surprised to see Trevor starting at some point next year but I can't see Redick starting. I would love a lineup with both Redick and Ariza playing together (so that Trevor could compensate for Redick's defense and Redick could compensate for Trevor's jump shot) but I doubt we'll see them together in the starting lineup.

Fact or Fiction: Grant Hill will come off the bench next season.

4. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

Fact: Dwight will avg more than 20 ppg this season. He will likely get more touches then the 12 shots that he currently has been receiving under Hill with Jameer at PG. All he has to do is improve his FT shooting to around 60-65% and get 15 shots and he will be avg around 21-22. Even with another scorer I hope the new coach will make Dwight a focal point in the offense.

Fiction: Pretty much what Swish said, I don't think they will start together, but should see more playing time together. Maybe put Dooling at the PG and you got 2 slashers who play good defense to go with your shooter.

Fiction: If Grant Hill comes back, he will be starting(unfortunately). You know my thoughts on him. I would definitely bring him off the bench play him 20-25 mins tops and preserve him for later in the season and playoffs. He will be there to be a good veteran leader. If he wants to take the bench role, he will just go to Pho or Detroit.

Fact: I also think we will get Vince Carter, but again I don't want him unless he will come "cheap" for 3 years(3 years 24-27 mil). He has proven to give up on his team and when his shot isn't falling he's not good enough in anything else to really impact the game. I'd much rather have Ray Allen or Shard, but neither will come as cheap as VC(hopefully). Maybe we could package Turkoglu and Arroyo(salary cap fillers) with a future 1st or something to get one of them(Arroyo is expiring and if Pierce/Allen/Lewis say they don't want to stay with their teams or if they want to rebuild, then they get somewhere around 7-8 mil in money for them with a proven scorer/role player in Turkoglu)

Fact or Fiction: Jameer Nelson will be the starting PG for the Magic next season.

5. TheGreatK-Bob

TheGreatK-Bob JBB JustBBall Member

Fact, Jameer will start at least part of the season, although I do not believe he will just be handed the keys like last year. He played poorly all year and is not a good fit for Brian Hill's system (not that he really has a system) that being said, I don't see a better PG on the team than him yet, and I don't see any PG in the draft that would be better right away were we to trade for a pick. Whether Jameer is the opening day starter remains to be seen, but the Roster is gonna be played around with a lot next season barring a HUGE and stabilizing offseason. I'm do not know what to expect.

Fact or Fiction: If the Magic had a better coach for the players and better system, Jameer Nelson would have had a better year. Or does he just suck as a starter period?

6. TheHighness

TheHighness JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">TheGreatK-Bob Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Fact, Jameer will start at least part of the season, although I do not believe he will just be handed the keys like last year. He played poorly all year and is not a good fit for Brian Hill's system (not that he really has a system) that being said, I don't see a better PG on the team than him yet, and I don't see any PG in the draft that would be better right away were we to trade for a pick. Whether Jameer is the opening day starter remains to be seen, but the Roster is gonna be played around with a lot next season barring a HUGE and stabilizing offseason. I'm do not know what to expect.

Fact or Fiction: If the Magic had a better coach for the players and better system, Jameer Nelson would have had a better year. Or does he just suck as a starter period?</div>

I think Jameer is a really good player and def. a starter but he would definatly do better in a up-tempo system (which with a new coach hopefully we will become) this team is so athletic and Brian Hill is wasting that IMO

7. asdf

asdf JBB JustBBall Member

You're supposed to ask a F/F question as well.

Well I think that it depends on whether Jameer will dedicate himself this offseason to his playmaking duties and stop being so damn turnover prone. He's got a real streak when he's nailing his shots and can stretch the defence out for Dwight when he catches fire, but more often than not during the season he'd be as cold as a popsicle in a freezer. So to fully answer the question, I guess I could say "fact". I have faith in the guy and he isn't some washed up vet who can't correct a few bad habits.

F/F - Magic get past the first round of the playoffs next year.

8. Sergio

Fact - If they get a scorer in the offseason and Dwight continoues to play like he knows or even developes some more along with Darko and Ariza, they HAVE to get past the first round of playoffs.

Fact or Fiction - With the new coach and possibly a new scorer on the team, will the magic get 50 wins next season?

9. TheGreatK-Bob

Fiction: I don't think the Magic have shown a real commitment to winning. I can't say I have faith that they'll do a good job paying for the best coach available or even a first rate one. I'd love to see Larry Brown in Orlando actually. I'd like to see who the coach is before I can believe in a 50 win season.

Fact or Fiction: We will trade into the first round of the draft and pick someone useful.

10. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Um, do you know when this thread was started... When Dwight was a rookie..lol. But if you decide to bring this up Fiction, they will not win 50 games, Im sorry and fiction, why trade a pick. Get a guy like affalo, or a back up point guard. No need to trade.

11. bbwSwish

^We've brought this back many times. It's an offseason type of thread.

12. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">Ford_11 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Um, do you know when this thread was started... When Dwight was a rookie..lol. But if you decide to bring this up Fiction, they will not win 50 games, Im sorry and fiction, why trade a pick. Get a guy like affalo, or a back up point guard. No need to trade.</div>

We already have 3 guys that should be backup PG, that is one thing we don't need. We have 3 2nd rounders, so if somehow we could package a couple of them to move into the late 1st(to a team not wanting to have to pay a 1st rounder guaranteed money) why not do it?

13. Master Shake

<div class="quote_poster">GatorsowntheNCAA Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">We already have 3 guys that should be backup PG, that is one thing we don't need. We have 3 2nd rounders, so if somehow we could package a couple of them to move into the late 1st(to a team not wanting to have to pay a 1st rounder guaranteed money) why not do it?</div>

That is true, but i dunno who your gunna find late first round, that you need. I think you would be better if reddick didnt flop with his bud morrison, and you need a better PF.

14. TheHighness

TheHighness JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Ford_11 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">That is true, but i dunno who your gunna find late first round, that you need. I think you would be better if reddick didnt flop with his bud morrison, and you need a better PF.</div>

I think we can get one of Pheonix's late first round picks they have 3 this year and can't afford even one I say package 2-3 seconds and give us #24 since second rounders aren't guarenteed contracts Pheonix can then draft 2 young euro's they can leave over there to develop and it won't cost a thing against there cap. win-win.

F or F Will Otis call Billy Donovan if Brian Hill is fired?

15. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">Ford_11 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">That is true, but i dunno who your gunna find late first round, that you need. I think you would be better if reddick didnt flop with his bud morrison, and you need a better PF.</div>

Again, we don't need a starting PF, we need a backup. Dwight and Darko are a good enough starting PF/C.

Fact. We will contact Billy Donovan, but I think he stays in Florida.

16. TheGreatK-Bob

Fact or Fiction: Darko is in the long term plans for this team next to Dwight.

17. Master Shake

Fiction- Iv seen at least 40 magic games, why is everyone so high on darko, he isn't that great. When ever he played the raps he got double teched becuase he opens his mouth, when he shouldn't be. I think he was a flop, and detriot is hitting themselfs for not taking bosh or wade.

F/F - Grant hill comes back, and takes the team past the first round.

18. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">TheGreatK-Bob Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Fact or Fiction: Darko is in the long term plans for this team next to Dwight.</div>

Fact, he's our 2nd best player behind Dwight. They complement each other so well, we better not trade Darko for any of these offers(like Jrich or VC) because our organization will be set back for a long time.

<div class="quote_poster">Ford_11 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Fiction- Iv seen at least 40 magic games, why is everyone so high on darko, he isn't that great. When ever he played the raps he got double teched becuase he opens his mouth, when he shouldn't be. I think he was a flop, and detriot is hitting themselfs for not taking bosh or wade. </div>

Darko will start next season at 22 years old, he was the most consistent player in the playoffs for us against the best team in the East. He plays great defense, is a very good passer for someone of his size, and he has that midrange jump shot. He can play outside and be very effective with Dwight playing inside. That's why I say he's a perfect complement. Another thing, when Battie was injured and Darko got inserted into the starting lineup and played 30 minutes a game, Dwight went on the offensive tear(like 22 ppg in 15 games or something), then when Battie took the starting spot back, Dwight started struggling again. That is no coincidence. Teams know Darko is at least a threat on offense, while Battie isn't. If Darko starts and plays 30 minutes a game for at least 75 games next year, our team will be much improved. Darko's biggest weakness has been the fact that he "doesn't care about basketball", him getting ejected and showing emotion proves that wrong.

F/F - Grant hill comes back, and takes the team past the first round.[/QUOTE]

Fact/Fiction. Fact that he comes back to the Magic. I think he would miss playing too much, not to mention he doesn't want his final basketball memory to be getting swept by his former team the Pistons. Fiction that he leads us past the first round. If we get past the first round it will be because of Dwight.

F/F- JJ Redick will get meaningful playing time next season after we sign/trade for a big name wing player.

19. bbwSwish

Fiction, Redick may play a little bit if someone gets injured but signing someone like Vince Carter or Rashard Lewis will hurt him a lot. Especially since both Carter and Lewis have a long range shot, his shooting won't be needed as much. Hedo will probably be coming off the bench if we sign or trade for a big name wing so that pretty much means Redick will most likely spend a lot of time on the inactive list next season.

Fact or Fiction, the Magic will trade up for a first round pick.

20. Sergio

Fiction, we didn't trade up..

Fact or Fiction: The magic, now with a star player like Lewis, but without Milicic, will be a better team (record wise) than last season.