'MaJic' Success No Trick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">CHICAGO -- He is the second-lightest dude running the court.

Daryl "MaJic" Dorsey tipped the NBA's official scale at 160 pounds on a 5-11 frame that barely stretches to 6 feet with gym shoes.
    But no one, including the popular college players who chose to skip the league's final pre-draft camp, has a story heavier than the one Dorsey dribbles each morning he awakens in pursuit of life, happiness and an NBA roster spot.

With the absence of a player unexpectedly blowing the minds of league executives with his play, there is Dorsey creating a buzz because of the debris along his path to this opportunity at a Moody Bible Institute gymnasium.

It's storybook all right, but not for any reasons you would think.

Sure, Dorsey can play.

He's a lightning-quick point guard proving he's crafty and tough enough to play in the NBA. He has the tools, as evidenced by the interest generated by Dorsey's exploits in the minor leagues.

His play routinely attracted NBA scouts to Rome, Ga., for World Basketball Association games, and Harold Ellis, who serves as a scout with the Atlanta Hawks, said "you may hear MaJic's name called on draft day," June 28.

Not bad for a 23-year-old young man seemingly robbed of a chance at life from birth.

Dorsey's mother and father have been incarcerated for murder since he was a toddler. As a high school junior, Dorsey also found himself locked up on a false charge of murder that was later dropped, but not before Dorsey spent five weeks behind bars.

None of that, though, has kept Dorsey from using his patented move -- the "MaJic Tornado," coined in 2003 while with the And1 Mixtape Tour -- to cross over guards standing in front of a hoop instead of a cell.

"It's good to come out here and play against some of the best point guards that went to college," Dorsey said Thursday. "I think I did real well in the games. It's just basketball to me. ... I just come out here and use my God-given talent." </div>

Source