Mannix: Gooden likely in NJ or Minny

Discussion in 'Brooklyn Nets' started by NJNetz, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Ma3oxuct

Ma3oxuct Nets Preview Team

Its tough to say that Gooden is hungry for a championship (I'm argueing from the stand point of Thorn, et.al.). Does he really help a team win, especially one like the Nets? He might rebound and be able to score some, but can he play defense? He might end up breaking team chemistry.

Personally I wanted Gooden to be signed back when he was a free agent (I believe that he was restricted) for the first time and after Martin was traded. Nets managment just does not like him.

2. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

i personally would love it if gooden came

3. Next Level Game

Next Level Game JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Personally I wanted Gooden to be signed back when he was a free agent (I believe that he was restricted) for the first time and after Martin was traded. Nets managment just does not like him.</div>

Gooden was only a 3rd year when Martin was traded. Thus, his rookie contract after the option was not expired. Thus, he was not signable until this year, when his rookie contract finally was given up. So, to say that he was available would be incorrect. HOWEVER, he is a resitricted free agent. Nets management could do nothing, so you are wrong.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Its tough to say that Gooden is hungry for a championship (I'm argueing from the stand point of Thorn, et.al.).</div>

What does this mean? Is VC hungry for a championship? Did he look it before the Nets got him? This is not a valid point.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Does he really help a team win, especially one like the Nets? He might rebound and be able to score some,</div>

You answered your own question. The Nets leading rebounder last year was their point gaurd. So, yes, they need some to rebound, especially a guy who can get 10 a night.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">can he play defense?</div>

Now this is a legit question. And to that answer I say, he is average, but definitely better than Krstic, so he has a place in that regard.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">He might end up breaking team chemistry.</div>

He was traded a lot, but I don't remember any complaints about him being a bad teammate. The Grizzlies traded him cause they had Pau and could not make him a SF. The Magic traded him for the same reason. Cleveland seems to like Varejao more cause he has more energy, plays better d (though needs to control his fouls) and is content with not scoring.

4. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">He was traded a lot, but I don't remember any complaints about him being a bad teammate. The Grizzlies traded him cause they had Pau and could not make him a SF. The Magic traded him for the same reason. Cleveland seems to like Varejao more cause he has more energy, plays better d (though needs to control his fouls) and is content with not scoring.</div>
    Cleveland is mainly having contract negotiation problems. Gooden knows he put up better numbers than Nene who didn't play at all last season, so he wants that kind of money.

5. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ma3oxuct:</div><div class="quote_post">Back when Gooden was an availible free agent and the Nets lost Martin they could have replaced Martin with Gooden. They did not. Thorn made comment to the tone that they don't like Gooden's mental offering and basketball offering.</div>Gooden wasn't a FA back then. For that matter, this is his first year on the market.

Also, the whole Illic thing, I'm sure the Nets would take Gooden over him any day. He's years away from contributing and the Nets want to win right now. Jason Kidd and Vince Carter aren't getting any younger and they want to win now.

6. babybulls

babybulls JBB JustBBall Member

^^ beat me to the punch, gooden was never an FA and to say the nets wouldn't be interested in a double double guy when they obvs need size is ridiculous, especially if he would really settle for 2 yrs 6 mill which is dirt cheap

7. babybulls

babybulls JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting NbaBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">Source

Gooden would be a good fit, as long as we don't overpay.</div>

so much for that writer thinking he would get 2 yrs 6 million, he just got 3 yrs 23

8. The One & Only

The One & Only JBB The Orlando Tragic

So much for Gooden

9. og15

og15 JBB *********

MLE is $5.5 million right? Tim Thomas and Vlad Rad got MLE. Gooden plays the big forward position much better on both ends, as a starter can give you up to 15 PPG and likely double digit rebounds, and with ~27-29 MPG 10-12 PPG, and 8-9 RPG. $7.7 million per year, 2 million more than MLE is a fairly good contract for him.

10. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

He just signed with Cavs