Rumor Marc Gasol-Can we call it a rumor now?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Dec 14, 2017.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

valid pt...although I think they will end up playing together down the road

2. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

I think we all hoped Nurk could one day be as good as Marc Gasol.... So why not trade for the guy? 32 means nothing to me when we have the 3rd youngest roster in the league. WE NEED SOME VETS. It hurts cause the fever is real but it would be a good move IMO.

BigGameDamian likes this.
  3. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    This whole Collins is a center. No he's a PF. A center. A PF. Center. PF. Center. PF.

Makes me laugh.

He's a Power Forward :)

:cheers:

blue9 likes this.
  4. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
  5. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Jesus, what a terrible suggestion.

dviss1 likes this.
  6. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

The old saying goes.
    Your position is the position you can guard.
    Right now does anyone really think Collins could guard any of the top 20 centers in the league?
    Maybe in a couple years if Collins bulks up he can play the center spot. Right now though it's very unlikely he could consistently not get out muscled by other Centers.
    Though I'm starting to lean towards Collins being Birdman defensively, with an offensive game.

BBert likes this.
  7. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Collins wouldn't have to play center for a few years anyway. Gasol still has 3 years on his contact. Again, Pau is 37 years old and still playing good basketball. You would be bringing in Gasol to be mentoring Collins. If Collins really is ALL THAT for a big man I'm sure it won't be hard to find a good big man to play by him once Gasol is done.

8. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

I am against this trade, even with Gasol we stuck in the middle of nowhere. This trade is a win now trade, but we aren't win now, we could probably make the playoffs, but that would mean a first round exit again. I'm tired of first round exit's.

9. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

theres literally no single argument that this would be a good move
    can you elaborate why this would be a good move

10. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

This is a terrible trade idea. Yeah Gasol scores 3pts more and grabs an extra rebound but he’s also 10 years older... that’s not the trajectory we need.

11. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Why you'd bring in a Marc Gasol to look to the future... While trading away a 23 year old Center is beyond comprehension.
    This has to be one of the more silly posts you've made over the years... Just on the contradiction alone.

BBert likes this.
  12. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Yeah. No problem at all. The Blazers will just go to the Big Man Tree and pick one.

H.C. likes this.
  13. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

Actually Nurkic is more productive per 36 minutes than Gasol is.

dviss1 and riverman like this.
  14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Gasol can get the coach fired, I'm guessing a lot of you would lobby for that...I'd rather bank on youth this season..Nurk is a keeper...Collins is a keeper...Davis hates Memphis...they dumped him once already...don't see a Gasol trade unless they get Meyers fever

dviss1 and Wizard Mentor like this.
  15. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    Why would we ever make such a trade?! No way

16. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I really like Ennis, he's a 3&D type wing that we need, not much of a handler of the ball but dude is athletic. Think he'd be a great low key filler piece.

17. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Because I've seen enough of both to realize they have complimentary skill sets.

Nurk is a beast. His game relies on strength and size to overpower his opponents.

Collins is much quicker and more agile. His game relies on his lateral quickness to beat opponents to a spot on the floor.

Just watch how they play defense. Nurk is a drop back shot blocker. He drops back into the lane and gets most of his blocks when the opponent comes to him.

Collins is an attack blocker. He seeks out the shooter and attacks the shot.

Collins, with his lateral quickness, agility, and high BBIQ (he knows where to go and when to get there), is a much better suited to guarding stretch 4s.

They're both white and 7' tall, but other than that, their games are very different.

BNM

dviss1, BBert and riverman like this.
  18. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Who the fuck has Marc "Coach Killer" Gasol ever mentored???? Name one young big man he has taken under his wing and helped improve.

The fact that he whined to the press and got his coach fired tells me he's more concerned about what's best for Marc Gasol than what's best for the team. It's not like MEM was winning a lot of games with Marc Gasol playing in the 4th quarter. They'd lost 7 or 8 in a row at the time. The coach saw that wasn't working and thought he'd try something else to see if someone else would seize the opportunity and step up. Marc cried to the local media and it cost Fizdale his job.

Perhaps Marc wants to keep playing to 39 like his brother. It's not like his game has ever relied on quickness or athleticism. If so, he had zero incentive to help accelerate the development of his replacement.

And just because a player is skilled doesn't make him a good teacher. Magic Johnson was a horrible coach.

What evidence do you have that Matc Gasol even wants to mentor younger big men, and even if he wants to do it, what evidence can you provide that he will be good at it?

BNM

dviss1 likes this.
  19. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

So one is white and a center, but not american born, while the other is white and american born, but not a center...

Our frontcourt of the future is safe, but barely !

20. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

My point is Marc Gasol>Nurk as of December 15, 2017. The gasses of fandom are rosey, but I think we can all agree that this as a statement of fact. Marc Gasol is the better player. You can make the longevity argument (and many have) but when it comes down to pure basketball... Gasol makes us a better team right now, and probably over the life of his contract than Nurk. After that who knows, Nurk could turn out to be the better player when he's 27-29 and the people who believe that probably dont want to make this trade. The problem there is that you making a bet on the potential of a pretty unproven player vs the known, allstar level commodity, of Marc Gasol. As I see it, Nurk's ceiling might get to the level Marc Gasol is playing right now so, I'd rather take the proven player over the unknown potential of Nurkic. Some of these trades have us sending out a couple useless contracts like Harkless and Meyers too! What's not to love? Just icing on the cake if you ask me and I would happily part with a 1st rounder to make it work.

This trade really boils down to one question: Will Nurkic be better than Gasol during his career as a Blazer? I dont think anyone can answer that and honestly say Nurk will avg better than 19/8/4 over the next 2-3 years. Is Gasol the championship answer? no. But there are only maybe 2 players in the world that are... and why use that as an excuse to waste prime dame and cj on what Nurk might be when they're 30?

I'm pretty sure there is literally a good argument for that trade in there somewhere.