Mark this prediction down: Meyers Leonard will win the 16-17 Most Improved Player award

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by chris_in_pdx, Sep 28, 2016.

1. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

I hope this is true, but I'm not gonna believe the hype until I see him knock down some mid range jumpers on a consistent basis during pre-season.

THE HCP likes this.
  2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

You coming to the Meet and Greet tomorrow?

3. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I love your optimism and I hope this is the year Meyers breaks out, because it will make us a much better team.

I've written it a few times in the past, but I think it deserves repeating here:

Meyers started last season in a horrible shooting slump, but after he came back from his first injury, he was an elite level 3-point shooter. His 3-point shooting improved every month of the season (until his injury ended his season in March). From Christmas - March 14 (the date of his season ending injury) he shot .457 from 3-point range - that's elite by any measure and the 37 game sample size is significant. Only one player in the entire league, J.J. Redick, shot better than that from 3-point range for the season.

That's a valuable skill in Stotts' system. In a big man, like Meyers, that creates spacing that allows others to penetrate and score in the paint. Dame and C.J. especially benefit from Meyers spreading the floor. Turner will to, as one of his strengths is penetrating and finishing in the paint. I don't think it's just a coincidence that the team played their best ball of the season (24-13) during that 37 game stretch. When Meyers was hitting the 3, we were an elite team (24-13 = .649). The rest of the year, not so much (20-25 = .444). He's not perfect, but the team plays better when Meyers poses a legitimate 3-point threat.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the team started winning and completely turned their season around last year at the exact same time Meyers started knocking down 3-pointers at an elite level. We went from 11-20 (.355 = 29-win pace) before Christmas to 24-13 (.649 = 53-win pace) until Meyers got hurt. That's a pretty significant turnaround.

I also think a lot of people look at his stats from last season and see some regression from the 50/40/90 season he had the year before, but that's all a direct result of that horrible start he had last year. He only made 2 of his first 18 3-pointers last season. If you just throw out the first five games through November 5 of last season, he shot .400 3FG% for the year, and as mentioned, .457 3FG% from Christmas until he was injured in mid-March. Combine that with the .420 3FG% for the 2014-15 season and the .769 3FG% he shot in the playoffs against MEM and that makes Meyers one of the 6 best 3-point shooters in the entire league over the last two years and easily the best 3-point shooter in the league that is taller than 6'8".

This article by Dan Marang sheds more light on the positive impact Meyers Leonard's floor spacing ability has on his team: The Meyers Leonard Effect on the Portland Trail Blazers.

BNM

4. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    And I thought Elon Musk's Mission To Mars by 2025 was delusional.....

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    chzbrgr likes this.
  5. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

You just got boo'ed....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

6. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Someone might be guarding him?

Some might run from the locker room and block it in the time it takes him to release his shot?

7. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I can feel the growing annoyance you have at the optimism shown recently. Its permeating through my screen right now even. Smells like failure. ;)

8. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Cool! Elton Musk is going to Mats?

Two questions:

Who's he?

Where's that?

BNM

9. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yeah but if we use the Robin Lopez set shot as a measuring stick, it should not be a factor. Robin only shot when he was wide open and had a slow and low release. But how often did it get blocked? The only shot I want to see Plums shoot with someone on him (Besides a dunk) is that running hook shot he displayed a few times. Hopefully he worked on that too. It looked to me like it had potential to be effective.

10. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

And you guys think I'm a hater my goodness this MM guy is waaaaay worse. I'm actually very optimistic about the Blazers this year and really look forward to Dame being a lot better this year as well

11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I have respect for both you guys. Doesn't mean we agree on things all or some of the time.

Anyone willing to debate their opinions, whether they are in the majority or all alone in their thinking, deserve respect in my book. With that said, I have grilled both of you on your pessimism in the past. but you cant keep beating a dead horse... well I guess you can but.. you'd just end up surrounded by a bunch of flies. ;)

MM knows how I feel about him

Tunchi likes this.
  12. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

Umm..... what?

I'll leave out that this is the definition of cherry picking. IF you cared to watch the games, ever, you would realize how bible belt backwards this whole statement is, and apologize to everyone on this forum for giving meyers credit for our turn around. He hardly played cause I mean, in all honesty you really couldnt play him and that doesnt mention the fact we kept up that pace when he was hurt! I mean come on, Im all for optimism with this guy, cause he cant get much worse than he was last year, but this is just...it's willfully ignorant. Give credit where it's due not to MEYERS FUCKING LENOARD. Christ.

13. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I hope he gets to the level of an average NBA player as much as everyone else.

14. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Nope. :cheers:

15. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

I'm going to pin this to my bulletin board and every day, despite the sand in my contacts, I'll slowly move laterally and jump up to swat at it in hopes of hitting it and causing it to come true.

16. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    de28b2f7aa99ffa5b81b567fff1befa9.jpg

As for who Elton Musk is.... If you have access to a computer then I'd try Wikipedia.

17. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Well this should be very easy. For one thing, a standing UNCONTESTED set shot is a tad bit easier to make then a CONTESTED shot. I'll leave it at that.

18. THE HCP

Well there you go, I take back everything I said, what was I thinking. How can you argue with this right?

Orion Bailey and riverman like this.
  19. THE HCP

He's not invited!

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  20. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Elon Musk.

The closest thing we have to Elton Musk is the following:

[​IMG]

Boob-No-More likes this.