Marquis Daniels

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Stockton, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Jazz are among a trio of teams eyeing Mavericks restricted free agent Marquis Daniels, a Dallas newspaper reported Sunday.
    aniels, a versatile shooting guard, was undrafted out of Auburn in 2003. But the 23-year-old played well beyond expectations in his rookie NBA season with Dallas, even starting and averaging 15.8 points in five playoff games.
    "Atlanta, Charlotte and Utah are believed to have interest in Daniels," the Dallas Morning News reported.
    The Dallas paper also reported "the Mavericks believe that at least two teams are considering offering . . . Daniels more than the $5 million (mid-level) salary exception, which could make keeping him difficult."
    Because the Mavs are over the NBA's team payroll salary cap, they would not be able to match any offer that exceeded mid-level pay in the first season of a multi-year deal.</div>

Full Article

I wouldn't mind Daniels, but I doubt Utah will make a big run at him. They already have enough SG's(unless Sasha goes and they don't draft another). He's a got a good future though, and could be a big part of the Jazz in the future if they go after him. I think Charlotte will be the one to get him though, they want him most and will offer most.

2. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Even if Pavlovic goes, there is a good chance they target Monya anyway.

3. DaAnswer3

DaAnswer3 JBB JustBBall Member

I wouldn't mind Daniels in Philly moving Ivy to the point putting snow off the bench Iggy at the 3 KT at the 4 Dally at the 5. That would be a nice lineup for the Sixers. Then move Snow / LiL Dog along for more power inside.

4. SunshineRain

SunshineRain JBB JustBBall Member

Ya'll keep your hands off Daniels! We want him here in Dallas.
    It is true that another team can offer more and he might take it.
    But what is wrong with the NBA when a team finds a young undrafted
    player, teaches him about the NBA, eventually moves him into the starting rotation
    on a playoff team, and now they can't offer as much money as the
    other teams. Seems like a strange rule, doesn't it?

5. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SunshineRain:</div><div class="quote_post">It is true that another team can offer more and he might take it.
    But what is wrong with the NBA when a team finds a young undrafted
    player, teaches him about the NBA, eventually moves him into the starting rotation
    on a playoff team, and now they can't offer as much money as the
    other teams. Seems like a strange rule, doesn't it?</div>

When your owner throws money around like Mark Cuban does, I don't think it's such a hard life [​IMG]

6. jbbBled11Harr3

jbbBled11Harr3 JBB JustBBall Member

Marquis Daniels should show his gratitude to the Mavs. He wasn't drafted and they gave him a chance. Hey BTW, he recently played in a celebrity golf game in Dallas for charity along with Mark Cuban, so it looks like their relationship is good. He probably has no intentions of leaving the Mavs. Its a nice situation for him there.

7. SunshineRain

SunshineRain JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bled11Harr3:</div><div class="quote_post">Marquis Daniels should show his gratitude to the Mavs. He wasn't drafted and they gave him a chance. Hey BTW, he recently played in a celebrity golf game in Dallas for charity along with Mark Cuban, so it looks like their relationship is good. He probably has no intentions of leaving the Mavs. Its a nice situation for him there.</div>
    I suspect we will find out tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed [​IMG]

8. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bled11Harr3:</div><div class="quote_post">Marquis Daniels should show his gratitude to the Mavs. He wasn't drafted and they gave him a chance. Hey BTW, he recently played in a celebrity golf game in Dallas for charity along with Mark Cuban, so it looks like their relationship is good. He probably has no intentions of leaving the Mavs. Its a nice situation for him there.</div>
    werd. I expect him staying along with Howard. you jsut might see him gone if the Mavs get Shaq

9. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

If the Jazz can get Daniels they should consider themselves fortunate. I felt as if he was the fourth best rookie in his class ('Melo, James, and Wade). He can play both the point and the two and he is fearless. He would definitely make up for the loss of Sasha (which still kills me).

10. Stockton

Stockton JBB

I doubt the Jazz will make an offer to Daniels now. They should have Arroyo, Lopez and Williams back next season at Point Guard, and Giricek, Snyder and Bell at SG. They don't need another guard, unless they will make a trade. Utah will be looking at guys like Kenyon Martin more than Daniels.

11. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tmac15:</div><div class="quote_post">I doubt the Jazz will make an offer to Daniels now. They should have Arroyo, Lopez and Williams back next season at Point Guard, and Giricek, Snyder and Bell at SG. They don't need another guard, unless they will make a trade. Utah will be looking at guys like Kenyon Martin more than Daniels.</div>

Giricek is a restricted FA. David Aldridge says that the Sonics might be interested as a possible replacement for Brent Barry. It'll be a good pick up for them, because he's younger, but not as versitile to play the combo guard. I couldn't see the Jazz letting him go without matching an offer, or giving him one.

12. Stockton

Stockton JBB

^^ They have already given him an offer, and I think it will be enough to make him stay. Arroyo, Williams and Collins have also been given offers.

13. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

he agreed to stay in dallas a 6 year contract not sure how much money was involved though