Martyball leaves San Diego

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Bearsfan1, Feb 12, 2007.

1. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steelerfan_2005)</div><div class='quotemain'>If the Chargers can get any decent HC in there next season, they'll challenge for the division again. Even a good figure head to play caretaker might be enough. There's a lot of talent there and I can't imagine the coaching staff, whoever that may be, squandering it.</div>
    If you can't, then I got two words for you! TEFLON DAVE!

2. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steelerfan_2005)</div><div class='quotemain'>If the Chargers can get any decent HC in there next season, they'll challenge for the division again. Even a good figure head to play caretaker might be enough. There's a lot of talent there and I can't imagine the coaching staff, whoever that may be, squandering it.</div>
    If you can't, then I got two words for you! TEFLON DAVE!</div>
    Clean up in this thread. We have a vanilla stain.

3. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>TEFLON DAVE!</div>
    Oooh, I never thought I would see those two words in print here ever again.

4. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>TEFLON DAVE!</div>
    Oooh, I never thought I would see those two words in print here ever again.</div>
    Neither did I! I am sending Dale the bill from my upcoming optometrist visit... my cornea, irises, & pupils have been scarred.

5. BearNole 6304

BearNole 6304 nfl-*****s member

i cant say i didnt c it coming, him and the GM wasnt getting along at all, and 2 be 14-2 but not win a playoff game sucks. i dont agree he should be fired but we all know his playoff record. he cant win the big game, honestly lets tell the truth. i would have given him at the very least 2 more years, but i wasnt surprised

6. The Return of the Raider

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearNole 6304)</div><div class='quotemain'>i cant say i didnt c it coming, him and the GM wasnt getting along at all, and 2 be 14-2 but not win a playoff game sucks. i dont agree he should be fired but we all know his playoff record. he cant win the big game, honestly lets tell the truth. i would have given him at the very least 2 more years, but i wasnt surprised</div>
    I never thought that Cowher would win "The Big One" either. It took him over a decade of coaching the same team. I would group the two coaches and say that they are very similar in their playoff successes and failures. One of them finally went to and won a Superbowl recently. The Chargers are obviously not as patient as the Steelers are.

7. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'>Timing sucks.

Norv Turner to the rescue?</div>
    Norv to be named SD coach

8. DP

DP He shoots, he scores!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'>Timing sucks.

Norv Turner to the rescue?</div>
    Norv to be named SD coach</div>
    Norv is now the HC...How is Dallas doing with HC? I missed it..

9. FLORIDA PACKER

FLORIDA PACKER nfl-*****s member

Wade Phillips is with Dallas (former chargers DC)

10. MKIV_Supra

MKIV_Supra 2006 NFL-*****s FF Grand Champion

I think it is a good move. Norv sure made a rising star out of Gore and I doubt anything bad will happen to Rivers with the way he's progessing. He has experience with the 3-4 defense and Rex Ryan still stays with Baltimore.

11. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKIV_Supra)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think it is a good move. Norv sure made a rising star out of Gore and I doubt anything bad will happen to Rivers with the way he's progessing. He has experience with the 3-4 defense and Rex Ryan still stays with Baltimore.</div>
    Gore showed that ability before Norv showed up. Only difference was he was finally feature back this season. His work with alex smith is probably why he got the job

12. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

I agree that his work with Alex Smith is why he got the job.

I really don't like the hire. I don't know how you upgrade even if you are as talented as the Chargers are. They lost their best coaches from a year ago. Their replacements are Clarence Shelmon, Norv Turner, and Ted Cottrell. Nothing special in my opinion. I was not that impressed with Cottrell in Minnesota as the Defensive Coordinator.

Even though he's had some bad games in the playoffs along with some things he couldn't really control at least Marty Schottenheimer got to the playoffs. Turner has very little playoff experience as a Head Coach. In fact I believe he only got their one time as a Head Coach. His previous stints as a Head Coach were not that great.

13. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>I agree that his work with Alex Smith is why he got the job.

I really don't like the hire. I don't know how you upgrade even if you are as talented as the Chargers are. They lost their best coaches from a year ago. Their replacements are Clarence Shelmon, Norv Turner, and Ted Cottrell. Nothing special in my opinion. I was not that impressed with Cottrell in Minnesota as the Defensive Coordinator.

Even though he's had some bad games in the playoffs along with some things he couldn't really control at least Marty Schottenheimer got to the playoffs. Turner has very little playoff experience as a Head Coach. In fact I believe he only got their one time as a Head Coach. His previous stints as a Head Coach were not that great.</div>
    I think the reasoning is turner installed the offense here, and they dont want to make any changes. Cottrell runs same defense and phillips, so they dont make any changes. Hopefully, the talent is enough to get them to keep moving forward.

14. The Return of the Raider

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>Even though he's had some bad games in the playoffs along with some things he couldn't really control at least Marty Schottenheimer got to the playoffs. Turner has very little playoff experience as a Head Coach. In fact I believe he only got their one time as a Head Coach. His previous stints as a Head Coach were not that great.</div>
    Well, welll, well, it appears that Barney has tricked Fred out of his Pebbles.

Fred = Marty Stinkenheimer

15. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>Even though he's had some bad games in the playoffs along with some things he couldn't really control at least Marty Schottenheimer got to the playoffs. Turner has very little playoff experience as a Head Coach. In fact I believe he only got their one time as a Head Coach. His previous stints as a Head Coach were not that great.</div>

Fred = Marty Stinkenheimer</div>
    A raiders fan who doesnt like marty? Cant help but wonder if it is cuz he smoked raiders so many times in both KC and SD

16. The Return of the Raider

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>Even though he's had some bad games in the playoffs along with some things he couldn't really control at least Marty Schottenheimer got to the playoffs. Turner has very little playoff experience as a Head Coach. In fact I believe he only got their one time as a Head Coach. His previous stints as a Head Coach were not that great.</div>

Fred = Marty Stinkenheimer</div>
    A raiders fan who doesnt like marty? Cant help but wonder if it is cuz he smoked raiders so many times in both KC and SD</div>
    He had a great record vs. the Raiders, no doubt about that. *Nearly all* the games were very close though. Am I happier that Norv Turner and Herm Edwards are now coaching the Chargers and Chiefs as opposed to Marty? I guess that depends on if the Raiders will win more vs. those teams now. Should I expect that the Raiders will have a better record vs. the AFC West between the last four years and the next four years? I think they will win more of those games from this day forward.

17. MKIV_Supra

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>I agree that his work with Alex Smith is why he got the job.

Even though he's had some bad games in the playoffs along with some things he couldn't really control at least Marty Schottenheimer got to the playoffs. Turner has very little playoff experience as a Head Coach. In fact I believe he only got their one time as a Head Coach. His previous stints as a Head Coach were not that great.</div>
    I think the reasoning is turner installed the offense here, and they dont want to make any changes. Cottrell runs same defense and phillips, so they dont make any changes. Hopefully, the talent is enough to get them to keep moving forward.</div>
    I read the newspaper and they keep repeating the word "continuity" (spelling?). Norv worked with the Chargers before and he had Cam Cameron in his staff and they used the same offense when he left. So instead of going to a new coach and learning a new system, they brought in someone who knew about it and I doubt he will hinder their success and continue doing it. Marty had nothing to do with their 14-2 record, it was Cameron. And when they lost in the playoffs, they needed to do something to avoid the fans anger against them.

Kinda odd huh? Think about it. The Ravens went 12-4 and rewarded Billick with a one year contract extension. When the Chargers went 14-2, they showed him the door, REALLY LATE. Is that how you reward your coaches? Whatever happened to, "maybe next year..." They actually have hope compared to the Ravens, age-wise and cap-wise.

18. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKIV_Supra)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>I agree that his work with Alex Smith is why he got the job.

I think the reasoning is turner installed the offense here, and they dont want to make any changes. Cottrell runs same defense and phillips, so they dont make any changes. Hopefully, the talent is enough to get them to keep moving forward.</div>
    I read the newspaper and they keep repeating the word "continuity" (spelling?). Norv worked with the Chargers before and he had Cam Cameron in his staff and they used the same offense when he left. So instead of going to a new coach and learning a new system, they brought in someone who knew about it and I doubt he will hinder their success and continue doing it. Marty had nothing to do with their 14-2 record, it was Cameron. And when they lost in the playoffs, they needed to do something to avoid the fans anger against them.

Kinda odd huh? Think about it. The Ravens went 12-4 and rewarded Billick with a one year contract extension. When the Chargers went 14-2, they showed him the door, REALLY LATE. Is that how you reward your coaches? Whatever happened to, "maybe next year..." They actually have hope compared to the Ravens, age-wise and cap-wise.</div>
    Marty had nothing to do with 14-2? LMAO! right, 3rd all time in wins, and he has nothing to do with his teams success. LOL

19. MKIV_Supra

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKIV_Supra)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Kinda odd huh? Think about it. The Ravens went 12-4 and rewarded Billick with a one year contract extension. When the Chargers went 14-2, they showed him the door, REALLY LATE. Is that how you reward your coaches? Whatever happened to, "maybe next year..." They actually have hope compared to the Ravens, age-wise and cap-wise.</div>
    Marty had nothing to do with 14-2? LMAO! right, 3rd all time in wins, and he has nothing to do with his teams success. LOL</div>
    Okay, okay, he did do something. He went 2-1 and when they lost to the Ravens it seemed like he handed the play calling to Cameron. Even though he still managed the game, he didn't call the plays. But still, Martyball lived within the team. People kept talking about how Martyball is gone and all but he could always revert back to it. Even though he didn't, he still got criticized for two main reasons.

IF he ran the ball less than about 20 times:
    People would say that he didn't use LT as much.

IF he ran the ball more than about 25 times:
    He is being too conservative and that's why they lost.

And anyways, coaches don't win games, the players do!

20. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MKIV_Supra)</div><div class='quotemain'>And anyways, coaches don't win games, the players do!</div>
    If players won games then the most talented team in the NFL would win every year. San Diego didn't win it this year. I hardly call the 2001 Patriots more talented than the 2001 Rams as well. So many things factor into the NFL. Players and talent is one of them but coaching has never played as big as a role as it does now and it's just as important as the players.