Maui Invitational

Discussion in 'Men's College Basketball' started by STC, Nov 21, 2005.

1. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Another MSU OT game, can we top 3? 60-60 with Zona with tons of momentum [​IMG]

2. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Overtime for the second straight night in a row! This has been a great game and I can't believe Arizona came back. Michigan State needs to win this game desperatly because everyone will be ripping them if they lose. Hopefully this game turns out as exciting as last nights.

3. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Swish15:</div><div class="quote_post">Overtime for the second straight night in a row! This has been a great game and I can't believe Arizona came back. Michigan State needs to win this game desperatly because everyone will be ripping them if they lose. Hopefully this game turns out as exciting as last nights.</div>

Ya, MSU Freshman blowing it again [​IMG]

4. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Mustafa Shakur is really taking over for Arizona. He has delivered a few crucial baskets and he just got the ball back for the Wildcats after playing some aggressive defense. This is a great game and MSU is now leading by 2 with 8.5 seconds left.

EDIT- Marcus Williams, a freshman from Zona, had the chance to tie the game with two free throws. He missed both and just like with MSU last night, a freshman has lost the game for the Wildcats. Michigan State wins 74-71.

5. J_Ray

What a tourney to remember even without the championship played! I'm satisfied the way we came back. If there such a thing as a morale victory, this was one for Zona. They found their offense and defense against a very good MSU team that is an elite team in college. Adams found out what he's good at, getting to the hole. I'm happy with the way we're playing without McClellan and Okwandu, we'll see ya in March VC [​IMG] At Least we made you sweat VC [​IMG]

6. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

I'm really happy with this win, but I think that it could have easily been a twenty point blowout by Michigan State. The story of the game for the Spartans was unforced turnovers. Out of our 26 turnovers, very few were caused by Arizona's defensive pressure. You'd see Michigan State's players throwing the ball out of bounds or right to an Arizona player on every other trip down the floor. That's how they let Arizona back in the game.

That call on Shannon Brown with 2:30 or so left in regulation was horrible. Even if you think it was a foul, you have to admit that the basket came well before the foul was commited. That play, as well as the one where Adams travelled with four or so seconds left, would have won the Spartans the game in regulation. Brown played a decent game overall, and it showed in the boxscore. 19 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists on 7-11 shooting is a solid line, especially considering most of his shots were borderline three pointers. The Spartans didn't go to him enough. On the other hand, I felt like Maurice Ager was forcing it too much on offense and taking too many shots when the Spartans had that comfortable lead.

Paul Davis has really stepped up to that All-American level. I can't think of any center in the nation I'd rather have other than maybe Shelden Williams. His numbers (18.0 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 55% FG, 90% FT) aren't even a fair indication of the level of play that Davis has been playing at. Ever since the Chaminade game, Davis has been all over the place making hustle plays.

All in all, I think this game showed people why Michigan State is one of the top teams in the nation. I'm feeling really confident about their chances to make the Final Four this season. They just need to get the ball to Brown more and give Gray more playing time.

7. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

These overtime games will actually help MSU in the long run being that they now have experience playing in pressure situations. The Michigan State backcourt had it's most effective game of the season with Shannon shooting 7-11 and Ager doing his normal. Impressive overall win by the Spartans.

8. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

UConn leads Zaga 33-3 at the half

This has been a good first half, UConn is hitting 52% of their FGs and 44% of their 3's. Morrison and Batista are keeping the Zags in this one, combining for 19 of the Zags' points. Raivio is 1 of 6 from the field with just 2 points, and must step up in the second half for Zaga to pull this one out. Rashad Anderson is looking real good for UConn with 13 at the break.

9. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Schaddy:</div><div class="quote_post">UConn leads Zaga 33-3 at the half

This has been a good first half, UConn is hitting 52% of their FGs and 44% of their 3's. Morrison and Batista are keeping the Zags in this one, combining for 19 of the Zags' points. Raivio is 1 of 6 from the field with just 2 points, and must step up in the second half for Zaga to pull this one out. Rashad Anderson is looking real good for UConn with 13 at the break.</div>

Wow, 52% shooting with only 3 points? I'm sure Morrison has more than that [​IMG]

10. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

denham

<font size=""3"">I Love Denham Brown!!</font>

11. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

What a finish, congrats to the Huskies, they really showed us all something, winning a tough tournament like this without their point guard.

12. number99

number99 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWohl:</div><div class="quote_post"><font size=""3"">I Love Denham Brown!!</font></div>
    sick shot, i admit it wasn't luck, a good fake and a turn around hook. [​IMG]

13. Shard

Shard Hi2u

Denham Brown is a b****.

Don't want to make excuses but the Zags had to be tired... it's a shame after the way they played that they could leave with the Maui title. Oh well... theres always March.

14. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

To be honest, both teams looked pretty bad in my opinion. I would have taken pre-MSU game Gonzaga over Connecticut in this game, but the Zags just looked tired and worn out. Any team can win any game on any given day, and I just think that the Huskies caught the Bulldogs on the end of a really exhausting three games. Still, congrats to UConn for winning.

Some teams win in November, and some teams win in March, and I think Gonzaga is going to be dangerous as hell in March.

15. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

Where was the defese by Gonzaga on that last play? They let Denham Brown just march right up the court...great job by Brown to get Morrison up in the air and turn the other way and hit the wide open shot...

16. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

Adam Morrison is absolutely fantastic. He put on a show all tourney, and he's firmly proven to me that he's one of the three best players in America. That kid has it all [​IMG]

17. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Adam Morrison was great all night, and had a good game tonight, despite some good UConn defense. Almost every shot that he was putting up was contested tonight, and he still managed to have a solid game. He has really shown how good he really is in this tournament, from his dominating performance last night, to his solid performance tonight. He has just been absolutely phenomenal and I'd expect that to continue all year. And because of that, I fully expect the Zags to be one of the best teams in the nation throughout the year as well. Definitely watch for them come March.