McCollum won't be part of Blazers rotation

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Buffalo Blazer

Buffalo Blazer Member

I completely agree. At least early in the season, he was making his 3's, but now he's not even doing that. He's a liability on both sides of the ball and is having trouble even catching passes lately.

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Wright has been a pretty big disappointment for me this season. Mo has had his ups and downs, but Wright really hasn't filled the role that I thought he was brought in to fill.... three point shooter.

3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

The irony of that statement is awesome.

4. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    By the end of the season, I think many will be wrong about wright. Even though wright has disappointed me, I actually think wright will prove to be a big asset at the later part of the season.

He is still a threat from three, which is why his man still runs out at him. If wright wasn't, teams would just leave him wide open and dare him to shoot. The reason why wright works is he can still spread the defense out. As long as the team is rotating the ball, he will be an effective addition to this club.

5. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Expectations were that he'd be Lillard's backup, maybe another Lillard. He was the PG on the SL team. He completely sucked at PG and as a combo guard.

Our SL team, which had by far more draftees (most SL teams have 2 draftees and a bunch of scrub pickups) of all SL teams (and only 1 other draftee was a rookie), was forecast to maybe win the SL championship. It lost almost all the games. Freeland, Barton, Claver, Crabbe, Leonard, Robinson, and Terrell were told to feature McCollum. This made him one of the leading scorers in the SL, but the other leaders shot 45-50% while he shot 35%. His scoring was forced, but he has potential.

He'll be a good SG and a mediocre backup PG, but he'll take a couple of years to learn the game just like everyone else.

6. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

I saw this coming. Not surprised nor am I upset. You don't push a proven veteran out of the way to make room for a rookie just because he did well on the college level. I wouldn't even be surprised if he got traded to a rebuilding team.

7. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    What's yours? Mine is clear, while you have none.

8. Natebishop3

They were told to feature him, eh? I didn't know you were privy to that kind of information. What else were they told?

9. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Sure, it could happen the way this article states (and maybe it is VERY likely to) but this is merely an opinion piece that Freeman could be wrong on in time.

10. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

Even trollbots deserve the respect of a rebuttal, on occasion. ;)

11. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    The players were told what every SL team is told, and what the Stampede is now being told:

Make the first-round pick the star. That's why this temporary team exists, to look at the best player the most, the second-best player the second-most, etc.

You feel like being a troll today, while your pal calls me the troll? Every post I've made here is well-reasoned, while all your responses have been nonsensical one-liners.

12. Natebishop3

Wait.... someone got under your skin? Inconceivable!

13. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Wright....I was impressed with his brother last night against the Ducks. A 6'5" PG that runs his team very well. Does not shoot much but when he does it is at a 70% clip. Great shot blocker. He is a JC transfer and looked very composed.

One to keep an eye on for sure.

14. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    I'm just unhappy because no one liked my bump. How come everyone loves HCP's bumps? I hardly have any, and he has them all over his head.

15. Samuel

He was getting double teams almost immediately every time down the court. Did you notice that? He will not be getting this kind of treatment in the second unit, even going up against better competition vs. Summer League. All he has to do is hit shots and show energy. He will--right away.

Forget it, Jake. It's Summer League. No one cares about records. Portland's team had a bunch of NBA contract players, several of which who had played significant minutes last year. One could argue that the opposite might be true of your point. These guys have guaranteed deals.

Specious argument. Summer League is the world series for a significant amount of the competition. These are the most competitive basketball players in the world that have dreamt of the Show since they were kids.

You either:

A. Have a contract, and are working on your game. Summer league is about working with the coaches for the first time and learning the offense.

B. Are an undrafted player from that year's draft or a FA journeyman, looking to interest a European team or get a training camp invite and possibly an NBDL deal. This is a HUGE moment for you to make the NBA. It's your NBA finals.

Stotts isn't asking a lot of him at this point. His job is to move the ball around, make shots and apply pressure on defense. Mo Williams or Lillard will be the primary ball handler in all of these situations. He's not going to be forced to do as much as he was in summer league, where they were simply kicking the tires on him. I expect Meyers Leonard/Thomas Robinson minutes if he's healthy and once he's fit.

I'm not arguing he's going to start or be a major part of the rotation. But he's definitely good enough to get a few minutes every night, even if Stotts prefers a 9-man rotation. Kid can shoot, and that's the MO of this offense.

I think people are forgetting that many NBA scouts had him as one of the most NBA ready players in the draft. His biggest challenge will be coming back from his injury and getting the rust off. We'll find out starting tonight how far he's come, but if he's relatively injury free, I don't see why he won't be given a spot in the rotation.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  16. Samuel

Yeah, I never read that once.

17. Natebishop3

If anything, I think they had him running the point to see if he could be a capable backup to Lillard.

18. Samuel

Exactly. I think we all learned was that he's more of a combo guard or simply a 2. He'll be fine alongside Mo or Lillard.

19. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I'd like to see a run and gun small ball unit out on the court of Lillard, CJ, Wes, Batum and LMA at different times. Throw him in with the starters in brief stretches.

20. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    Sam, your string of remarks in that one post summarize as, on a SL team, expect the best players (draftees) to do worst, and the worst players (pickups) to do best. Then why hold SL if the purpose isn't to feature the players with most potential like McCollum?

So you think it was a coincidence that the rookie forced most of his shots not in the flow, and took far more shots than teammates.

Then what are you arguing about? I say the same thing. Most posters here say he'll be a major contributor as a rookie. Some say he'll immediately take many of Mo's minutes. I say he'll develop like most 1st round picks taken 10 in a weak draft or 15 in a strong draft.