McGrady and Dampier as Grizzlies?

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by Voodoo Child, May 23, 2004.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">If i could get TMac, i'd trade Posey in a heartbeat. Aside from the defense, TMac is a better player in every other aspect. Better passer, better shooter, better ball handler, better moves (driving, fadeaway, pullup J's, etc). I understand how crucial he is to the team, but I think if you have a chance at a guy like TMac, a guy who you can build the franchise around, you do it. </div>

I highly doubt the Grizzlies would abandon him for McGrady. I honestly don't. This arguement is becoming pretty repetative though. It's a matter of how much he means to the Grizzlies, and neither on of us is Jerry West.

2. jiggax23

jiggax23 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I highly doubt the Grizzlies would abandon him for McGrady. I honestly don't. This arguement is becoming pretty repetative though. It's a matter of how much he means to the Grizzlies, and neither on of us is Jerry West.</div>

yea, i agree. i'll just stick to my "take tmac" stance. and you stick to your "keep posey" stance. hahahha... we shall just wait and see what happens. however, i do feel that tmac will be in an orlando jersey next year. and if he were to get shipped, i think it would be to houston. just my opinion

3. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Possibly, Wells, Gasol for T-Mac</div>

First, that's too much to give up for T-Mac. Second, it doesn't work under the CBA.

Memphis would also be sending out 2 positions for 1 and losing in the stat exchange.

------<u>Pts/Rbs/Assts</u>
    Gasol: 18/8.5/2.7
    Wells: 13/4.5/2.4
    --- = 31/13/5.1

TMac: 21/6.4/4.1

And if you average the age of Wells and Gasol, it ends up being only 1 year older than Tmac.

If I'm Memphis, there's no way I'd pull this trade.

4. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Sorry to put a damper on this thread but this part of the original post,

"Jerry West was talking about the upcoming off-season, and he said they are trying to pick up T-MAC and Erick Dampier."

cannot be true because it is illegal to make such statements. West could suffer a large fine, possible suspension and risks the league office not approving any move he makes to aquire those players if he makes those statements. So whoever posted that on the Grizzlies' sight was probably just rumour mongering.

5. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

What about this 3 teams trade?

Orlando trades - T-Mac and Juwan Howard and 1 of the second round draft picks.

Memphis Trades - Gasol , Bonzi Wells , Jason Williams

Warriors trades - Dampier.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Orlando Receives - Bonzi Wells , Jason Williams , Pau Gasol

Memphis receives - Erick Dampier , T-Mac

Warriors Receives - Juwan Howard , Reece Gaines , 1 of Orlando's second round pick.

I think is a great trade for all teams...I mean..Memphis could sign a PG..or draft one but I just don't think T-Mac and Jason Williams could co-exist together..you now have Dampier , Swift , Posey , Miller , T-Mac..

Warriors , well I really don't know the line-up but signing a PG or drafting one in the second round and having Reece Gaines as a backup .. and Juwan Howard at the 4 and that black french guy? that's a good start not to mention a good 1st round draft pick and 2 second round draft picks.

Orlando can start rebuilding , I really like Bonzi Wells..I also like Jay Williams and those 2 will make up for T-Mac points..Pau Gasol could become a star...Drew Gooden aswell..we now have Gasol/Okafor , Gooden/2nd round , Keith Bogans/Pat Garrity , Bonzi Wells/DeShawn Stevenson , Jayson Williams/Tyronn Lue (if Hill is gone).

maybe we draft Dwight Howard...I really like Okafor tough.

6. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Eric Dampier is a Free Agent.

7. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

Sign & Trade deal?

8. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

I think this is plausible. When Jerry West was in L.A., I remember him being very high on T-mac and trying to trade up to select him in the draft (imagine if he had succeeded) ....

If the Grizzlies can somehow find a way to keep Posey out of that deal, I think they would be championship material.

9. Ezra

Ezra JBB JustBBall Member

We can't get smaller.

10. GrizzlieGuy

GrizzlieGuy JBB JustBBall Member

TMac is out of the question now,unless somehow West worked a deal with Houston.Which I doubt very seriously.....As for DAMP,who knows Jerry has been intersted in aquiring him,this still could happen...........

11. Johnny33

Johnny33 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TMac_OwNz:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Orlando Receives - Bonzi Wells , Jason Williams , Pau Gasol

Memphis receives - Erick Dampier , T-Mac

Warriors Receives - Juwan Howard , Reece Gaines , 1 of Orlando's second round pick.

I think is a great trade for all teams...I mean..Memphis could sign a PG..or draft one but I just don't think T-Mac and Jason Williams could co-exist together..you now have Dampier , Swift , Posey , Miller , T-Mac..

Warriors , well I really don't know the line-up but signing a PG or drafting one in the second round and having Reece Gaines as a backup .. and Juwan Howard at the 4 and that black french guy? that's a good start not to mention a good 1st round draft pick and 2 second round draft picks.
    </div>

This trade sucks for Golden State. Dampier was putting up all-star number last season and in return they get Juwan Howard who's past his prime and will probably only average 16 and 8 in a good season? Trade will be more fair if the Warriors get Jason Williams.

Then again Jerry West said Gasol is untouchable so that throws this all out the window.

12. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I'd take Kobe over TMac for several reasons. He gets along better with West obviously that's always a major plus. Also he's overall the better player in terms of mostly defensive wise. As for Dampier, I wouldn't mind having either him or Gasol, he's obviously the stronger more toned of the two and is also, an offensive minded or in other terms, a scoring C as well. I'd hate to give up Bonzi no matter how bad his attitude is, he's been great for us, like McInnis has been for the Cavs.

I'd never want to give up Posey, too great of a defender and overall player to give away. Neither Wright, or Battier, too much effort in those guys. Don't even get me started on Outlaw, our very own version of a workhorse. Basically I think you should stick with your lineup and maybe just go after some veterans to add depth to your bench. Young and talented is what your team is. If ever I was to replace somebody it'd be Miller, he's great and all but he needs to toughen up and take more shots, he can make them.

13. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Magic Johnson:</div><div class="quote_post">As for Dampier, I wouldn't mind having either him or Gasol, he's obviously the stronger more toned of the two and is also, an offensive minded or in other terms, a scoring C as well.</div>

He sure is, with a gaudy career scoring average of 8.9 points per game, and a single season high of 12.3.

14. GrizzlieGuy

TMAC=Houston,thank god because he gives up on his team when they are down.Dampier it appears is to injury prone,So I wouldnt give up Pau or Williams for him.Memphis has good chemistry and team leadership.You put Tmac on a team and his ego gets in the way,thats not team leadership.Look at LA EGOS GOT IN THE WAY.
    Besides West said Pau would only be traded if it brought in a Kobe or a Shaq and those guys are not.
    GASOL 17.7 PPG AND WILLIAMS 10.9PPG

15. Ezra

Ezra JBB JustBBall Member

Dampier is garbage.

I hope we don't sign him. He'll be a waste of money.

16. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ezra:</div><div class="quote_post">Dampier is garbage.

I hope we don't sign him. He'll be a waste of money.</div>

Well, as long as you keep signing him to single season deals, he'll be in a contract year every year [​IMG]

17. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

ugg, I wouldn't deal for Howard, Gaines, and a 2nd round draft pick for Dampier. That would be ugly for the Warriors and would not solve the center problem next season. I think the only thing Mullin would allow being traded for Dampier is another veteran center. Since Memphis has zero skilled true centers they'd be willing to give up, it'd have to be somebody more valuable like Shane Battier or Mike Miller. Good forwards with size, range and mobility are hard to find. I'd take Pau as a PF/C but he's the franchise player at the moment. Big Jake is a joke. He's just big and Lorenzen Wright would be decent at powerforward but we have enough power forwards.

18. GrizzlieGuy

I need to update my post on TMAC it appears:He may not be going to Houston after all.Just have to wait and see. And what I have heard about him maybe misconceptions.Does he really have an ego problem and does he really let down his team when things get bad?