Meet Jimmy Butler

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by transplant, Aug 15, 2015.

1. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

A very good article on Butler that includes how he feels about Team USA, Mark Wahlberg, Derrick Rose and this little tidbit:

http://www.nba.com/bulls/samsmith/jimmy-butler-continues-find-inspiration-success

truebluefan likes this.
  2. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

Interesting stuff. It looks like the players feel more comfortable making suggestions to Hoiberg. That's all good and fine now but less fine in the heat of the season, if players don't have a firm idea how they are expected to contribute.

I think it's more for the better though. The Thibs bulls during Rose's MVP reign were too predictable. I think that had more to do with the roster than anything, but Thibodeau didn't particularly help things. When I watch games from the Jordan-era Bulls I often am surprised at how versatile those teams were. They would have a numberbof different players institute the offense and it gave them a ton of different looks. I wouldn't mind seeing that with this roster. Butler is certainly capable.

3. transplant

When entering a new situation, open-minded is a good way to be. You develop and then strengthen your points of view off of your experiences. Hoiberg's a smart man and I'm sure he understands this.

At this point, I'm glad Butler is thinking point guard thoughts. Having multiple offense initiators has its advantages. Hell, isn't that what we all said the Bulls oh so desperately needed after the Heat knocked the Bulls out in the 2011 playoffs?

4. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if most NBA players think they're secretly capable of doing things they're not well suited to because they have large ego's.

Ie, Shaq thought he could've been a jump shooter, Kyle Korver thinks he can take guys off the dribble, etc.

It's not bad, and maybe even good in limited quantities if they use it to diversify their games. Just so long as they don't get carried away.

I also agree with SST's point. The Bulls were a lot of good things under Thibodeau, but they were always a mechanical team, and I'd guess at least some of that was due to Thibs himself.

5. transplant

I understand why we feel the need to try to explain what Butler "really meant" by his PG comments, but I'd just as soon let him do it. From other comments he's made, it seems clear that he believes that he and Rose can not only co-exist, but can thrive.

A year ago, we hoped Butler would be a quality starter. He wanted to be a star...and became one. Now he seems intent on becoming a superstar.

I have no objection.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015