Melo, that's just wrong

Discussion in 'Denver Nuggets' started by N4S, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

This is ridiculous. I can't believe that people are actually posting excuses for Melo's behavior. If Dwyane Wade or some other young player WITHOUT history of making stupid comments/doing stupid things did this then it would be excusable. But Melo has a history of starting crap.

I don't care how much money he may have put towards the campaign. He could have sent in an absentee ballot if he was on the road or if he didn't want to be mobbed by fans at the polls. Until he makes the effort to go out and fill in the bubbles, he should keep his mouth shut.

Putting on a t-shirt does not make you political.

2. Karma

Karma The Will Must Be Stronger Than The Skill

Melo has one huge and destructive ego. And I'm not talking about this incident, just the way he presents himself, he thinks too highly of himself. And now, he's trying to be the superstar and struggling. Let the game come to you.

As for this t-shirt, I agree with the slogan, but however, the Twin Towers picture was uncalled for. Plus the fact that he didn't vote makes the whole point of his t-shirt ironic and stupid. You're talking about how Kerry shouldn't have given up when you didn't even vote at all. If you would have voted, that would have been one more vote on his side and yes, maybe it could have made a difference.

I am really starting to dislike Melo as a person, he just seems like an egotistical asswipe.
    [Excuse the language but I don't know what other way to express my feelings]

3. N4S

N4S BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jurassic:</div><div class="quote_post">This is ridiculous. I can't believe that people are actually posting excuses for Melo's behavior. If Dwyane Wade or some other young player WITHOUT history of making stupid comments/doing stupid things did this then it would be excusable. But Melo has a history of starting crap.

I don't care how much money he may have put towards the campaign. He could have sent in an absentee ballot if he was on the road or if he didn't want to be mobbed by fans at the polls. Until he makes the effort to go out and fill in the bubbles, he should keep his mouth shut.

Putting on a t-shirt does not make you political.</div>

I never really commented on Melo not voting, I was just posting this because of what he wore on the tshirt (burning Twin Towers, come on). No one wants to remember that and by wearing that he could bring up some bad memories to certain people.

I also thought it a ridiculous defense that you tried to back him on.

4. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Need4Sheed:</div><div class="quote_post">I also thought it a ridiculous defense that you tried to back him on.</div>

What do you mean by this?

5. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr.Wade:</div><div class="quote_post">Every vote counts... did you see how close the election was.</div>

All votes count, of course. That is, they'll be registered in a database somewhere (well, in most cases). But that doesn't make any ONE of them statistically significant. Unless Carmelo was registered in a highly contested swing state (Colorado wouldn't qualify) where the outcome is unpredictable, his single vote is by itself not particularly important. That is, it wouldn't make a difference on the end result. That's just simple mathematics.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">If you say only 1 vote doens't matter millions of people could be saying 1 vote dones't matter, so a million peopel stay home thinking htey cant make a difference. Please get your facts straight durvasa.</div>

A million people's votes can make a difference. A single person's vote will not. We can agree on this much, right?

I believe in assigning blames to people in proportion to the predictable outcomes of their actions. If a person can choose to either vote or not vote, and decides to not vote -- how much should we blame him? The simple fact is that the choice is not ultimately very significant as far as its outcomes -- a single vote is virtually negligible in national elections. Politically, a person could do many other much more important things. A multi-millionaire like Anthony could easily donate thousands of dollars, and that would probably be even more helpful than his one, single vote. If that money is used to help organize a political rally, it would be much more important because that could generate tens or hundreds of more votes.

So I don't believe it's worthwhile to criticize any particular individual for not voting. It's a group problem, and the realistic way to solve the problem is a change in the underlying institutions which make up our voting system. The electoral college, for instance, is a systemic failure, and should be replaced.

Now, you CAN criticize an individual who didn't vote if he turns around blames other individuals for not voting. He'd be a hypocrite in that situation. But Anthony isn't doing that. He isn't pointing his finger at any individual for not voting. He's pointing his finger at John Kerry for conceding so quickly. Kerry is in a position (unlike individual voters) to actually make a big difference on his own. His choices as a presidential candidate actually have significant outcomes. And by giving up so quickly, he demoralized millions of Americans and he hurt his party. THAT we can blame, because THAT actually has effects in the real world.

6. N4S

N4S BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting durvasa:</div><div class="quote_post"> Maybe he donated money to the Kerry campaign. There's more to being politically involved in national politics and contributing to a campaign than voting, particularly when you're a rich person with lots of resources.

</div>
    This is defense I'm talking about.

7. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting durvasa:</div><div class="quote_post">Now, you CAN criticize an individual who didn't vote if he turns around blames other individuals for not voting. He'd be a hypocrite in that situation. But Anthony isn't doing that. He isn't pointing his finger at any individual for not voting. He's pointing his finger at John Kerry for conceding so quickly.</div>

Explain to me how it is okay to complain about someone not winning when you didn't even show your support?

Tell me this: hypothetically, lets say that Melo put a million dollars towards Kerry's capaign. Let's say that Melo was so confident that Kerry would win, that he voted for Nadar as a joke. Would it still be okay for Melo to complain that Kerry conceeded?

My point is that giving money is not enough. He should have taken the time out of his day to vote. He didn't exercise his right to vote, and now he is trying to compensate by exercising his free speech. Well it's too late, he should have voted, then he would have a say.

8. N4S

N4S BBW Member

Jurassic is right.

9. AA13

AA13 JBB JustBBall Member

Bad move by Carmelo. First the weed now this. I was impressed with him last sean but he's gotten himself into alot of bad stuff. He needs to straighten up. He didn't vote so he had no right to be making fun of the election. Plus the shirt was making fun of one of america's worst tragedies. I'm really starting to frown on Melo.

10. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jurassic:</div><div class="quote_post">
    My point is that giving money is not enough. He should have taken the time out of his day to vote. He didn't exercise his right to vote, and now he is trying to compensate by exercising his free speech. Well it's too late, he should have voted, then he would have a say.</div>

Sorry, but I can't follow that argument. Supposing he did vote -- so what? That wouldn't change anything. You keep implying that he only has a right to complain about Kerry's concession if he voted. But what is the rationale behind this? I genuinely don't see it.

11. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

This is terrible. Melo is a role model and people look up to him. He goes around doing crap like this and wearing T-Shirts about national tragedys. If you tell all your fans that you don't vote and so many people look up to you, you probably just made a bunch of people upset and some kids are probably thinking, "If Carmelo doesn't vote, than why should I"? That is horrible.

12. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

How could Melo wear that shirt and have the nerve not to vote. Melo is wrong 100%. He really has changed since his rookie year.

13. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting durvasa:</div><div class="quote_post">Sorry, but I can't follow that argument. Supposing he did vote -- so what? That wouldn't change anything. You keep implying that he only has a right to complain about Kerry's concession if he voted. But what is the rationale behind this? I genuinely don't see it.</div>

You know what, forget it then.

14. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">How could Melo wear that shirt and have the nerve not to vote. Melo is wrong 100%. He really has changed since his rookie year.</div>

Has he?

15. Billa_Bong

Billa_Bong JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting durvasa:</div><div class="quote_post">Sorry, but I can't follow that argument. Supposing he did vote -- so what? That wouldn't change anything. You keep implying that he only has a right to complain about Kerry's concession if he voted. But what is the rationale behind this? I genuinely don't see it.</div>

Because its like saying your complaining about not getting paid for not working, you don't do the work which would be voting, you don't get paid which would be getting to cheer or complain or bitch about your work. See?

Also Colorado was considered a swing state by the majority of the news stations.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Now, you CAN criticize an individual who didn't vote if he turns around blames other individuals for not voting. He'd be a hypocrite in that situation. But Anthony isn't doing that. He isn't pointing his finger at any individual for not voting. He's pointing his finger at John Kerry for conceding so quickly.</div>

I criticize him for wearing the shirt because on there is no reason to bring attention to the most tragic event in the history of our country and also because the fact he is stupid enough to believe the absentie ballot would be enough. You know they still counted those and after Bush had more votes than before those, so really what is he bitching about, nothing he bitches about John Kerry didn't win which is poor sportsmanship and I critcize him for that.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">All votes count, of course. That is, they'll be registered in a database somewhere (well, in most cases). But that doesn't make any ONE of them statistically significant. Unless Carmelo was registered in a highly contested swing state (Colorado wouldn't qualify) where the outcome is unpredictable, his single vote is by itself not particularly important. That is, it wouldn't make a difference on the end result. That's just simple mathematics.</div>

Ya its simple mathematics but every vote makes a difference, is it not true when a vote is tallied for Kerry his vote total goes up one? Is that not true, that effects an election and how do you know there is on young idiot out there who did this there are 10 thousand more maybe? That makes a difference.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">A single vote is statistically insignificant. A couple thousand bucks could actually be more valuable to winning a campaign than a vote.</div>

How? Paying for John Kerry's suit he wears when he goes talks to a crowd who most likely are already voting for him? Seriously the only people who go and listen to the candidates talk and speak our the hardcore lets vote for him people and not swing voters, there fore they already won there votes so that money is going to waist.

Also more than likely he didn't donate anything, we are just assuming to give you something to argue with.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">It takes hardly a few minutes to write a check. It could take hours to go and vote.</div>
    I bet you didn't vote, wow some people are lazy. I bet you didn't vote and sent 50 bucks into the Kerry campaign and now are trying to defend yourself in this with Carmelo. hahaha this is funny. Well if your not willing to take 2-3 hours out to vote and wait in line for something that happens 1nce every 4 years than man, you really need to get a grip on things because your either way to lazy or way to busy which both are pathetic.

16. jbb94ftOfTherapy

jbb94ftOfTherapy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Well I think it is important because it shows how stupid and ignorent atheletes can be, I think it just proves he needed to complete College before entering the NBA, wouldv'e gave him time to finish doin his drugs and maybe learn something more than roll, light, puff. So really you have no right to complain when you didn't even do anything yourself to effect what you wanted to be done. Also what is he doing on the basketball court, he is trying to do eveything himself which is why the Nuggets are 1-3.
    </div>
    OK well i dont mean to piss anybody off here but frankly i feel a bit pissed myself. If your gonna go and criticize melo, atleast get the basic facts straight.He DID compete in college. Am i the only one or did he not win the national championship. Also the facts proove that the less than an ounce of weed wasnt actually his. In fact the whole part of his friend signing a document saying that it was his friends. So dont write crap and try to make carmelo look like a drug addict when the evidence points agaisnt you. And for your whole arguement about how he is trying to do everything on the basketball court relates to his political stance. What you are criticizing Melo for is that he DIDNT vote and he DIDNT do his part in the election, which i agree. However thats one of the worst analogies because your saying he IS trying to do everything himself.

17. purpleb0n9

purpleb0n9 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting spawn:</div><div class="quote_post">I am really starting to dislike Melo as a person, he just seems like an egotistical asswipe.
    [Excuse the language but I don't know what other way to express my feelings]</div>

Wearing the shirt, forcing shots, fighting at the bar, I also don't like what he did they are definitely unthoughtful and kind of childish. The truth is we often see the so-called rivalry of LeBron and Melo and we may actually and unconsciously start to compare the two as not only a basketball player but also as a person. We may think that if LeBron can handle himself so well in the spotlight, why is Melo creating controversies? The truth is they are just different people. And LeBron, he is just unseen, this kid is a freak, I mean really, in terms of handling himself in the media so well at a very young age with a supposedly very fragile mind. He is definitely one of a kind... his basketball talent alone makes him great and his personality is what makes him special, the total package. There may be only one LeBron in every one trillion people.

Well Melo ain't LeBron, he may be older than him but he is still a 20 year old guy or should we say "kid"? He is still trying to figure out who he is as a person at this transitional age... how and what he should do when he is faced with potential problems, the kid is learning how to handle them. I'm sure we all learn how to deal with people at this stage of our lives. While Melo is not going to be a goody-goody image person, he is not going to turn Allen Iverson either, who cares only to be himself and doesn't care what other people have to say, not that there is anything wrong with that of AI but it definitely makes people outside his boundaries and AI fans think that he is so unapproachable and arrogant. Melo is still willing to hear other people's inputs but he still wants enjoy being Melo, and while being Melo means that he is going to make more mistakes, he'll take it because he knows he is going to learn from his own mistakes and he is going to get better from them.

18. Billa_Bong

Billa_Bong JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting boogieman470:</div><div class="quote_post">OK well i dont mean to piss anybody off here but frankly i feel a bit pissed myself. If your gonna go and criticize melo, atleast get the basic facts straight.He DID compete in college. Am i the only one or did he not win the national championship. Also the facts proove that the less than an ounce of weed wasnt actually his. In fact the whole part of his friend signing a document saying that it was his friends. So dont write crap and try to make carmelo look like a drug addict when the evidence points agaisnt you. And for your whole arguement about how he is trying to do everything on the basketball court relates to his political stance. What you are criticizing Melo for is that he DIDNT vote and he DIDNT do his part in the election, which i agree. However thats one of the worst analogies because your saying he IS trying to do everything himself.</div>

Okay 1. Did he complete college or not, to my understanding, he left college early for the NBA. 2. Are you serious, common Melo doesn't need that kind of attention, so why doesn't his friend take the blame and get a little money on the side from Melo, makes a lot of sense to me. I think it is funny he is arrested for it, then his friend signs it was his.

Also with the trying to do everything himself, he is, watch his games. Guard brings it up passes to Melo and he takes it to the hoop, misses the shot, gets his rebound and takes a three misses or just takes another shot and misses other teams ball, watch his games he is doing it. when he get a defensive rebound he takes it coast to coast and doesn't utilize his team mates.

19. jbb94ftOfTherapy

jbb94ftOfTherapy JBB JustBBall Member

Well he knew he wasnt ready to jump from HS to the pros even tho he would have made it into the first round. So give him credit for waiting until he was fully able to prove himself and develop as a b-ball player. Unlike the man we know as kobe Bryant. And didnt he struggle his first couple seasons in the NBA. And i agree Carmelo being selfish is abig part of the Nuggets' record so far. And again, i hate to bring up kobe Bryant, but based on your avatar and sig ur a big fan which i find funny because ur basically crucifying Melo for what Kobe does.(Besides the Pot)Kobe never even went to college and struggled his first few years in LA. And as far as being a selfish player, haha. Kobe is THE most selfish player in the league. He thinks he can do it all himself and when Shaq was being his dominant self, he pouted. And according to Phil Jackson, he was "getting tired of being second fiddle".

But to get back to the topic at hand, Carmelo hasnt been convicted. Our law system says innocent until proven guilty. If you would like to tell me different you would be saying everyone whoever has been arrested or even given a ticket is guilty.

20. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

How did Kobe suddenly appear in this thread?

It's about Carmelo Anthony.

Say you were a Bush supporter. Do you go around with 3 stickers for Bush/Cheney on your car, wearing a shirt and sticking a sign out in your yard for them? If so, you're gonna vote.

I voted...and I won't say for who because it's irrelevant, but when I try and debate about political subjects, I will...and when I'm asked if I voted, then I can safely say that I did. If I didn't, why would my opinion count in a debate that means absolutely nothing, when I felt as if it didn't count on Election Day?

Carmelo messed up...again. Weed (his or not, he's making millions, so get some new friends), irrelevant political statements, a bar fight, his Olympic whining...what else just during his first two years in the league?