Melo Was Right to Defend His Teammate

Discussion in 'Denver Nuggets' started by tremaine, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I was waiting for Reggie Evans to grab someone's ballsack.

I could argue for either side. Anyone who's been in a fight knows you don't think rationally and you don't really consider the consequences until after you've acted. Putting myself in Melo's shoes, I'd probably be tempted to take a shot at Mardy Collins. I'm thinking Mardy just took a cheapshot at my friend and teammate, he deserves one back.

However, defending his teammate doesn't make it right. Melo is going to end up hurting his team more by getting a mutiple game suspension. David Stern is ultra sensitive about the league's image and being this isn't Melo's first time getting in trouble, I wouldn't be surprised to see Stern make an example out of him.

Steven A. Smith is predicting 15 to 20 games. I think it's going to be closer to 30 games. That would be devastating for this team.

2. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Steven A. Smith is predicting 15 to 20 games. I think it's going to be closer to 30 games. That would be devastating for this team.</div>

1 or 2 more punches by Melo or fighting Jeffries and not back pedaling after that punch would have cost him about 15 more games, and I am glad Melo back pedaled.

3. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

15 games It is.

4. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

Melo got lucky with just a 15 game suspension.

5. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">dallasdude Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Melo got lucky with just a 15 game suspension.</div>

Star treatment?

6. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Star treatment?</div>
    Might be star treatment, but it's also his first suspension. So he may have gotten away with it. I thought he'd get atleast 20 games. He was also lucky the fight did not escalate like the Detroit brawl after he threw the punch.

7. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Umair Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Agreed![​IMG]

I thought he was a wuss too, but after reading some posts here, I realized that Melo did the right thing by back pedaling. Lets say if you were in that position, would you have just stayed there waiting for Jeffries to charge at you? Would you stay there to wait for 4 Knicks to come and whoop your behing? Would you stay there and fight Jeffries just to act hard and get a 50+ game suspension? No.No.No. Melo did the right thing even though it was wussy. It was wussy but it probably saved him 30+ game suspension.</div>
    Firstly, those two bolded statements don't coincide.

If I was Melo I wouldn't have hit Mardy in the first place. Mardy was being held back by the refs and Melo came out the blue and hit him. That's a p*ssy move to make if you're not gonna take it like a man. He's a little bitch for hitting Mardy and running away and don't say "it was smart not to get beat up", he should have never hit Mardy, especially after he was being held by refs.

Melo could have been there for his teammates, but hitting Mardy and backpeddaling like a little bitch when Jeffries was after him is different.

8. umair

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Firstly, those two bolded statements don't coincide.
    </div>

I was saying that even though people might think it was wussy of him running back, but it was the right thing to do at the same time. Yeah Melo might have been wussy for running back, but running back saved him a harsher suspension.

9. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Umair Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I was saying that even though people might think it was wussy of him running back, but it was the right thing to do at the same time. Yeah Melo might have been wussy for running back, but running back saved him a harsher suspension.</div>
    No running back saved his ass from being whooped.

10. umair

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">No running back saved his ass from being whooped.</div>

Yep that's right. Running back saved him from getting whooped and getting a harsher suspension. Check my post from an earlier time.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Lets say if you were in that position, would you have just stayed there waiting for Jeffries to charge at you? Would you stay there to wait for 4 Knicks to come and whoop your behind? </div>

I said the same thing. If Melo stood their to fight Jeffries. He would've had his @$$ beat by 4 Knicks!

11. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Star treatment?</div>
    It might have saved him 5 games. I thought he was going to receive a 15-20 game suspension.

I was actually surprized other (non-star) players got less than I expected. Jared Jeffries (4 games thought (10)), Nate Rob (10 (thought 15)), JR Smith (10 (thought 15))

The only player that got more than I expected was Mardy Collins.

12. Lostmyluggage

Lostmyluggage JBB JustBBall Member

I agree with everything said in the original post. The 2 game suspension for flagrant fouls in the 4th or in overtime is a great idea that should be implemented. Most great ideas however take a certain degree of intellegence to see them though. Let's see if Sterns has that intelligence.

13. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    I agree with everything Mr J said; he tells it like it is. No man should suckerpunch a guy when he's being held back by refs.

14. tremaine

tremaine To Win, Be Like Fitz

writer, accountant & part time economist
  15. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">tremaine Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Unless I'm blind, and I am not, Collins was not being held by anyone when he was punched by Melo. Collins was just standing there cussin and frontin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLZwU8aXhTQ</div>

Melo waited until everyone was just standing though; then surprised him.

16. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

I don't even think it was a sucker punch. A sucker punch would be walking behind him and nailing him in the back of his head. Melo walked around the croud walked straight up to dude who was standing there and did what he did. Yeah back pedaling after the fact was damn weak, but I understand why he did it, its not like he is gonna stand his ground that get jumped by the rest of the Knicks.

17. TimmyDMVP

TimmyDMVP JBB JustBBall Member

Regardless about getting your butt whipped by the team, if your man enough to throw a damn punch or in melo's case, a slap, then you are man enough to stand your ground and fight not retreat like some little wuss.

18. tremaine

tremaine To Win, Be Like Fitz

writer, accountant & part time economist
    <div class="quote_poster">TimmyDMVP Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Regardless about getting your butt whipped by the team, if your man enough to throw a damn punch or in melo's case, a slap, then you are man enough to stand your ground and fight not retreat like some little wuss.</div>

That's what we're down to with Stern and the inadequate flagrant foul rules. Either you stop fighting immediately or you are out for the entire season.

We know for certain now that if Melo had continued to fight, he would have been gone until November 2007.

19. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">TimmyDMVP Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Regardless about getting your butt whipped by the team, if your man enough to throw a damn punch or in melo's case, a slap, then you are man enough to stand your ground and fight not retreat like some little wuss.</div>

Slap? Are you kidding? If that's a slap, that says a lot about Mardy Collins. He knocked him off his damn feet, that was far from a slap.

Sure, it looked bitch to run, but you probably would've done the same thing. He was being charged by the Knicks, I think 5 on 1 is a bit of an advantage.

20. umair

^ Agreed. That scenario can be matched up with this one:

Me and a guy are fighting one on one. I punch the mess out of the guy. His whole gang comes running at me. Should I take off running and avoid getting my ass whooped or should I stay there and fight like a "man?" I'd rather not be a man for a second and save my self.