Merged: |0fficial| Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Crabbe is difficult to trade. PPP and/or kicker.

2. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Before that article Quick put out where Dame talked about how Ed is his favorite guy, I figured Ed should be part of a trade package because he has value due to his contract. Even though I DO like Ed. But with Dame's strong endorsement of him, I've revised my out-going trade package:

Aminu
    Meyers
    Crabbe OR Turner
    CLE's pick

Get the best player you can while sending these guys out. Aminu (and Meyers to an extent) are on value contracts, so regardless of what you think of them they should have some value around the league. Crabbe and Turner make too much and provide too little for us to keep both - one or the other will need to be traded. At this point I'd prefer to trade Turner, but it seems Crabbe has more value.

We can't afford to trade Vonleh. We need young players on cheap contracts to pair with Dame/CJ/CrabbeTurner. And now that Vonleh is just starting to understand how to play the game we'd be foolish to let another team reap the rewards. I never thought I'd say this, but at this point Vonleh is our 3rd most valuable player. Unless you're able to trade him for Anthony Davis I just don't see how we'd win any other trade scenarios.

3. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I see two scenarios that would be workable:

Scenario 1: we want to win now so we go for Brook Lopez and Paul Millsap. It is a very short term solution as Lopez will be gone in 2018 while Millsap will be gone this year but it puts us in great position for playoffs if the chemistry is right. Crabbe and pick for Millsap would be doable, then some assets to balance the salaries for Lopez.

Scenario 2: we want to continue developing in 2-4 year peak window and go for one of Philly bigs plus someone else. A doable scenario would be Crabbe for Noel or Okafor, then trade up larger number of assets for Jabari Parker or some other young dynamic PF or SF. Maybe even Justice Winslow to develop him. Trouble with Parker is Bucks have no cap space either so we will have to balance the books, we cannot send them Turner/Crabbe and Aminu even though it makes perfect sense for them because they would not have space for them. We would need to let them dump some of their overpaid players here or involve third team. But Jabari Parker + Noel (cannot be Okafor as neither him nor Parker are great defenders) would be lethal. I think Parker might be on trade block because Milwaukee have too many bigs and not enough shooters.

4. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I apologize if this was already mentioned, but this post right here did it and I couldnt read further due to my time becoming limited at the moment.

Could that next DMC?

Leonard/Plumlee/Aminu/PattyC and our CLE 1st?=DMC? Maybe toss in Layman? Lets see how they play the first couple of months, but if they are below .500 or well below, I don't see how he doesn't start getting very vocal about wanting to be moved and the more vocal, the less Sac will get in return. Especially with us, because Dame will contact him and let him know for us to flourish, we cant give up the bulk of the team.

dviss1 likes this.
  5. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I don't think we have the assets to trade for Cousins. It's not really about the quality of players as our potential trade block players will be mostly fine but I don't think any of them will fit Kings very well.

6. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Pat has literally no trade value, he is not that highly rated, has done next to nothing in the league and will likely never make a huge impact.

Aminu is a VERY valuable asset due to his defense, versatility and amazingly low contract under current standards. Ditto Ed Davis who can fit two roles and is on cheap $7M deal. Even as back ups you cannot get anyone better at this price.

I think we have great assets to trade for someone like Millsap if Atlanta decide to rebuild which would be very smart from them given their situation. Having Crabbe would immediately sort SG issue for them (Korver is not getting younger), players like Aminu or Davis could immediately take PF spot after Millsap, Harkless would have great value too for them. Thing is from our perspective this is a 6-month loan. He's gone after that and we have no money to resign him. Only makes sense if Warriors look beatable and we look capable of beating them.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  7. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Swap Crabbe (providing he complies) with PattyC?

Leonard/Plums/Crabbe/Aminu/Cle 1st = DMC?

Dame will talk DMC into re-signing giving us a big three all locked in for the next four years. Four years of playing around with the right roll players and building chemistry so by years 3-4 we are truly contending.

8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

If we are shedding Crabbe/Leonard/Plums(he will get a big one)/Aminu, that leaves money for DMC no?

9. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I meant if we get Millsap for Crabbe, we have no money to bring him back. He will be almost 33 too, so giving him long expensive contract would be stupid too.

10. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Well they have Afflalo and McLemore at SG so Crabbe is probably an upgrade. At SF Rudy Gay is nearly gone and Crabbe would fit in well.

Leonard IMO has close to zero value at this point. Aminu is extremely valuable. Plumlee would be valuable for Kings if Cousins goes. I'd say if we involved third team it would work better:

Sixers get: Crabbe
    Kings get: Noel or Okafor from Sixers, Aminu, Leonard (if they want to take him) and maybe even additionally Turner (if he doesn't work out) plus Cleveland's pick.

They have a nice center to build around again, they have a good SF/PF on a friendly contract, they might get a good playmaker to go with that too. I think they could easily bite. Sixers would IMO definitely take Crabbe for Noel and I would say they would also comfortably do this for Okafor, or maybe we would have to add something but not much. Perhaps just send Leonard to them too.

It leaves us very short on the bench but with some cap space. We would have zero back up in backcourt basically but we could just take a couple of role players like Lamb. We would still have too many centers so we could trade Plumlee for a power forward because Vonleh and Davis might not be enough, or better even a small forward because it'd be just Harkless here. We could make this work but would that be worth it? Bench we could always address later. Lillard, CJ and Cousins would be immense core, just worried about the price it would be at. If we could keep Crabbe, Harkless and Aminu somehow while doing this then great but we can't. Some have to go to get our third star.

The more I think about this, the more Noel/Okafor scenario make sense. Young and would stay for very long. Price would also be right. Cousins would be cool if we get to keep both Harkless and one of Crabbe and Turner. Aminu I like but he might have to go. Turner/Crabbe, Aminu, Plumlee, Leonard and pick is still an attractive package.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Orion Bailey likes this.
  11. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    A. Legit. Scoring. Big.

1A) Okafor
    1B) Kanter
    3) Vucevic

Pipedream: DMC

12. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Took me a second to realize you werent doing a list of worst defensive centers in the league.

Pinwheel1 and Strenuus like this.
  13. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    You just shut your whore mouth o_O

Sinobas likes this.
  14. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

DMC would take us to the next level.
    I know that a lot of people here like to dismiss him as a player, but if we're talking about what's missing for us to advance to that next tier in the NBA then it's definitely a big guy who is capable of scoring on those top tier teams.

It's nice to have a guard oriented team, but it's the same problem every time against the Spurs\Whoriors\Clippers\(ex-OKC) - at some point in the game there's a scoring drought, especially if Lillard is on the bench and the other team is creating a huge lead and we lose (unless Dame is leading some heroic comeback at the end of the 4th).

Boogie is posting 20-30 points almost every time he meets top tier teams and he does it with garbage teammates by his side.

The only question is: can he score those points in better % if he played within a better system next to better players...i think he can.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    dviss1, Orion Bailey and TBpup like this.
  15. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Yes, Cousins would be perfect but to get him everything would have to go our way. Leonard would have to show something that would make him a valuable asset, the likes of Plumlee, Crabbe/Turner and Aminu would have to show value for Kings. There will be lots of teams trying to get Boogie if he becomes available. A core of Lillard, CJ and Cousins would be immense. BTW a package including CJ immediately becomes tempting for Kings but I want to keep the backcourt together.

Ezeli's comeback will explain a lot. If he can offer us good rim protection, rebounding and a little inside scoring, we may look at power forwards instead of centers. Just some quality inside scoring (if Ezeli does not offer that, then someone like Noel would make sense) like Millsap or Jabari. Unless of course Vonleh develops enough by that time.

Ideally we could bring BOTH power forward and center, or a small forward who can score (again, Hayward could be availble for short term solution).

Or just trade everyone bar Dame for Anthony Davis. We will not need another player.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Blazers Roy likes this.
  16. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Their current situation is best team in the NBA. That's not when you usually decide to rebuild. Give 'em time to come to Earth first.

17. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Another intriguing player who could be available cheap is Bjelica. (I know, I know, I may have mentioned him before...) There's kind of a logjam in Minny and I'm not sure if he's a Thibs kind of player. He's a bit slow of foot, but he's got great BBall IQ and we've got a gaping hole at PF (no offense to Ed, who has no offense). He's somewhere between Gallinari and Jokic if used correctly, albeit older than both. He can score but most of all he can really pass, which Stotts values. And I think he could defend the PF position decently. I'd gladly swap Meyers for him, and they might go for that.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  18. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Can we put the DeMarcus Cousins rumors to rest?
    1. They're not trading him.
    2. If they were, about ten other teams have more to offer them than we do.
    Save that for your fantasy BBall team.

Nikolokolus and Pinwheel1 like this.
  19. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    That's the best quote since, "He is 2 years away.....from being 2 years away."

20. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Yep. In 2k17 it would be doable (if you used trade override). In real life it's more doable to go after Noel, Okafor, Vucevic and Lopez.