Merged: Blazers vs. Timberwolves Game Thread 11/15

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by VenomXL, Nov 15, 2008.

1. HOWIE

HOWIE Member

I think that a deal would have to really present itself to make Pritchard move a playe right now. I'd think that either Webster or Outlaw would be moved with Raef's expiring contract. A lot of people think that Outlaw is odd man out, but Webster really has to look attractive with his new contract and being a decent player to boot. Right now I'll just soak up the win and worry about who gets moved next year around the deadline.

2. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Roy and Travis are both good. Good to have two clutch players. I refuse to pit Outlaw vs Roy. It's stupid. They're both on our team.

3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    So is Rudy. Good to have three clutch players. Maybe we should trade from our surplus of clutch. Clutch must be valuable on the trade market.

4. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    LOL! Gavin Dawson is doing the 5th Quarter! I can't wait to hear how GO is a bust.

5. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Three clutch players is fine with me.

6. HOWIE

HOWIE Member

and let's not forget about Webster, wait, is he a clutch or crutch player I forget.

7. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
  8. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

Man, just like last night, it felt like we had no business being in this game, and this time we won!

I think Frye, not Travis or Batum, could be the first man out once Webster returns. That guy is just not producing. Aldridge, Rudy, and Outlaw seemed to really struggle tonight (didn't watch all of it), but the fact we still won is pretty encouraging.

9. yenniedn

yenniedn Transplanted Blazer Fan

Enterprise Software Sales
    That was the ugliest win I've seen a team pull out of their arses in a long time - but it looks great in the W column nonetheless!

A couple of random thoughts:

* I was hoping Rudy would score in double digits every game this season but there goes that notion. I can't hardly believe it but I guess he DOES miss sometimes?!?!?!

* I kept thinking that Oden's dunk would knock our basket off kilter, affecting all of our shots the rest of the game and we'd lose!!!

* Lastly, I kept thinking how much I would hate to be a Minnie fan right now - not just because of this loss but because of their whole situation. Good thing I'm a Blazer fan instead!!!

10. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

We had no business winning that game. Wow. What is it again they say about good teams?........

11. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

12. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

You and your stupid aphorisms. :biglaugh:

13. ant

ant egg

Although Greg played limited minutes, he was:

2nd leading scorer
    Tied for leading rebounder
    Leader in blocks
    Leader in steals

14. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Oden is looking very nice as he gets into shape. What a season this will be!

15. mgb

mgb Over-Nite Sensation

Missed the game,,,screw Comcast!

Oden +13 higher than any player.

16. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Exactly! Wins like his one and the one against Miami are very encouraging. Last season, the Blazers showed they could win at home against anybody. However, the struggled on the road - the mark of a young team. They were 13-28 on the road, started the season 0-9 before they won their first road game on a buzzer-beater against one of the worst teams in the league. Last season, the Blazers didn't win their 3rd road game until December 16. So, we're a month ahead of last year's pace for road wins.

Winning games on the road against teams you SHOULD beat is the difference between a 41 win team that misses the play-offs and won that wins 50+ (I'm sticking with my preseason prediction of 58 wins) and makes the post season. Last season, we routinely lost games on the road against non-play-off teams - often by double digits. This season, we're taking care of business and winning those games - even on the 2nd night of back-to-backs. That's a big step forward for this team.

BNM

17. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Oden is quickly erasing the worries over his first-game injury. He's very quickly establishing himself as a productive center. Considering he's been away from basketball for a year and has played so few NBA games, that's terribly impressive.

18. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    The last two games, he started really slow and then took over late. I want to see him start, play more minutes, and get more touches in the first half.

Also, would some please pass him the ball after he sets the pick and rolls to the basket? He sticks up his hand and has an easy dunk but Roy/Sergio/Blake won't pass it to him.

19. Boob-No-More

Yep, in the last two games, in just 24 MPG, his EFF averages out to 21.5. That's insane production for anyone in 24 MPG, but especially a rookie coming off microfracture surgery.

To put that in perspective, the year Brandon Roy ran away with ROY, his EFF was 16.5 in 35.3 MPG. LaMarcus Aldridge had the 2nd highest rookie EFF that season at 10.8. Last season, Al Horford led all rookies in EFF = 16.5 and Kevin Durant won ROY with EFF = 15.6. This season's current leaders in rookie EFF are Derrick Rose at EFF = 17.9 in 38.1 MPG and O.J. Mayo at EFF = 16.5 in 39.5 MPG.

LaMarcus exploded in March of his rookie season to pull his per game averages up to 9.0 PPG, 5.0 RPG and 1.2 BPG. Oden, in the last two games is averaging 12.0 PPG, 9.5 RPG and 3.5 BPG - and has barely scratched the surface of what he can do. I think the young man is gonna be just fine.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that with Oden playing 24 MPG, Joel's production has also gone up these last two games. With Oden backing him up, Joel can come out strong, play aggressive and not worry about foul trouble.

Between the two of them, in 45 MPG, the Blazers are getting 21 PPG, 17 RPG and 4 BPG with an FG% of 0.714 out of the center position.

I guess we are no longer a weak rebounding team lacking low post scoring and interior defense.

BNM

20. Boob-No-More

BTW, prior to the start of last night's game in NO, Greg Oden was tied for 45th in rookie EFF. He has now moved into the top 10.

BNM