Merged: Who would you give up for Paul George?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Another thing that makes the George situation unique; the teams wanting to trade for him should only be teams that feel they are one piece away from contention, making the risk worthwhile. That list is limited.

Boston? They have the assets but are they really a Paul George away from contending? Is the first pick in the draft really worth giving up in this situation?
    Washington? What would they have to offer?
    Houston? What would they have to offer?
    San Antonio? " "

Portland is a legit contender with George and they have more immediate assets than any team outside of Boston. Their risk is worthwhile. You can put Dame/CJ/PG13/Nurk up against anybody.

Of course theres probably a stupid GM running one of the non contenders that'll make some crazy offer rendering this whole post useless.

Boob-No-More likes this.
  2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

My original idea was our three picks, crabbe, and either Harkless or Leonard for George and one of their shittier contracts (Monta Ellis or Al Jefferson.)

3. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

What a complete waste it would be for a non-contender to trade for George. It would be like back when Elgin Baylor was running the Clippers (into the ground) and they traded Danny Manning, who was 7 years younger, to ATL for Dominique Wilkins. There was no fucking way Dominique was going to resign with the Clippers, who won 27 games that year. It ended up being a 25 game rental and a horrible trade for both teams (Manning also left ATL after just 26 games). Absolutely stupid, pointless trade.

BNM

Eastoff, Scalma and BonesJones like this.
  4. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I'd prefer to give them the picks, AC, Harkless, and Vonleh for George and Young.

However, I'd try to trade a could future 1sts for a great backup SF to make us better (making it more likely PG would stay) and to be insurance if PG left.

For example: I'd toss in a couple future 1sts (to CHI) for Crowder in a 3-team trade if Butler got traded to BOS. Send out Aminu and Leonard and bring back Lopez in that deal as well. If PG left, Dame/CJ/Crowder/Young/Nurkic would still be a very good starting lineup.

For next season you'd have ET, Crowder, Lopez, and Young off the bench. That would be the best bench in the league, to go along with 4 all-star level starters. I'd rather start Ed or an MLE F.A. like Amir Johnson and bring Young off the bench.

5. Boob-No-More

I'd be fine with Big Al. His contract is actually pretty team friendly, and he's still a productive backup. And we need a backup center. Monta's production has fallen off a cliff.

BNM

6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yah but Jefferson would be dead weight as well in a rebuilding scenario. If we trade crabbe we could use another guard and Ellis does have experience in Stotts' system. I'd take either fuck it just give me Paul George dammit

7. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

True.

Also, people were outraged that Cousins only fetched Buddy Hield and a first round pick. Our offer would be even lower. Hield was a no. 6 pick and New Orleans pick turned into no. 10 in a fine draft. Indirect outcome of that transaction was also Sacramento defending their pick and getting no. 5 which was 100% considered at the time. Cousins was also a disgruntled star who destroyed the atmosphere.

Then again, when that deal was made everyone though Pelicans would make it into playoffs so it would have been no. 15-19. This was also risk for Kings.

I guess it also depends on who is available. If OG or Jackson are still on the table at 15, they could bite. Nobody should know the value of well selected mid-first picks than Indiana, they got George at 10 and Turner at 13. I bet they would kill to get two more Turners in.

8. Boob-No-More

They also drafted Kawhi at 15 the year after taking George at 10. So, they definitely know how valuable the 15th pick can be in a deep draft.

BNM

9. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

To be fair after being so reluctant to that trade, I start feeling good about this. Mainly because I feel like we could actually put together an offer that would at least be a bit tempting, and secondly because you guys almost convinced me he might resign here. Also, I guess we could get some decent free agents for next season with our big 4 here. I am thinking about Randolph/Johnson as MLE and maybe someone like Barbosa and Nene on veteran minimum?

I think they'd prefer to get Harkless + another player than Crabbe though. Maybe Aminu or Davis, or Vonleh. True value in that trade would be the picks.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    BonesJones likes this.
  10. BonesJones

Alright, I'm fully on the trade for George bandwagon.

Taking a risk like this is the only way we'll ever contend. It's about time to.

AFully22 and BigGameDamian like this.
  11. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Lillard McCollum George A. Johnson Nurkic

Lillard McCollum George Randolph Nurkic

12. BonesJones

Johnson fits better

13. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I'm torn on if George would fit, or if a 3 and D guy would be better

14. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    If the Blazers are trading all of those picks plus a couple of young players (I'd keep Vonleh) you better be sure of a couple of things:

• George is okay with it not being his team and fitting in as a piece and not the star
    • He is willing to re-sign here instead of it being a 1-year rental and then bolting to the Lakers
    • That Paul Allen is okay paying the Luxury tax because re-signing George and then Nurkic will cost a fortune

15. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

If George wants to win, it will likely have to be at a team that has other stars and cannot necessarily make him number one. He'd not be a piece here though, he'd be a start. He'd immediately be our best or second best player and could co-exist next to Lillard and CJ.

We cannot be 100% sure he will re-sign. The only reason why we might be able to get him for low price is because his contract is running up next Summer. I was also of the opinion that he would bolt to Lakers next season but now that I have come to think about this, I am not sure anymore. He would not win anything with Lakers, their success window is probably 3-5 years away comfortably and by that time he'll already be 32 and probably pushed back by Ingram or Ball. His best years will be next 2-3, and Portland are in a better position for the meantime.

As for Luxury tax, we will have commited $50M to CJ and Dame, and Nurkic will cost $20M - $22M next year. That leaves us is with ca. $40M cap next season, but luxury tax will probably be ca. $125M - $130M, right? Then commiting ca. $75M to CJ and Dame, and then another $30M to George takes you to $105M. It's very hard to build anything with the remaining $35M so we'd probably need to surround them with several rookies and cheap contracts/veteran deals. Realistically you should not have more than 3 stars in your team, as I said before the only reason why Warriors make it work with 4 is because at the time of Durant signing their big 3 were still not making that much. Curry will get $30M this year, Durant will get $30M too but Draymond is still on ca. $16M until 2020 and Thompson on $18M until 2019. After 2020 they won't all be at Warriors anyway. We don't have that luxury because at the time of re-signing George and Nurkic, Dame and Lillard will already be on massive deals.

16. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Of course George will be a star. What the post said was, he has to be okay with not being THE star.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  17. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Why would Boston trade their #1 pick for a possible rental of a player who has said publicly that he wants to join their rival?

18. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I really don't know what people are talking about. I know the Warriors have who they have and have dominated. But don't act like we haven't seen weakness in them. Don't act like we didn't give them hell last season in the playoffs. Don't act like if we don't add Paul George that they would have to fucking finally play defense on actual Stars. If we had Paul George I think our big four can contend with their big four.

Dame/CJ/Nurk/PG13 < Curry/Slim/Jon B/Shrek's Donkey

Only slightly because IMHO They have no one to guard the guy who once created a new species of fish when a masturbated into the toilet.

Scalma likes this.
  19. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

@dviss1 .... Beware of Shrek's Donkey.

dviss1 likes this.
  20. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

I hope PA and NO see it this way also.