Meyers Leonard appreciation

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by H.C., Apr 16, 2019.

1. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

For sure! I've always really liked Meyers as a teammate. Through it all he's been amazingly supportive of everyone who has ever "taken his minutes". I wouldn't be upset if he were a Blazer-lifer (just so long as his next contract is more reasonable).
    Also, how many years did it take Joel P to become a legit NBA player? I suspect Meyers is pretty close to Joel's timeline, and Joel was a fan favorite.

H.C. and Eastoff like this.
  2. glazeduck

glazeduck Well-Known Member

Joel's an interesting comp. The crazy thing is Meyers just turned 27, and aside from the shoulder, doesn't really have a lot of wear on his body... He could certainly play a decent role off the bench for another 5-8 years.

I also think Meyers has the chops to be a coach in this league. When I watch him play, I see a guy who sees the bigger picture of the game, but processes just a tad too slow to dominate it. Other Blazers have said he's among the smartest players they've ever come across... Would be cool for him to have a long fan-favorite role player career then become a successful coach in this league.

Eastoff, blue9 and PtldPlatypus like this.
  3. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Perhaps when he retires, Meyers can become the big-man coach @Boob-No-More has been calling for since Kim Hughes was fired.

H.C., Shaboid, Eastoff and 2 others like this.
  4. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    He played well more often than not during the regular season. Nice to see that continue in the playoffs.

However, as demonstrated over and over again, he still has the mentality of a junior higher... which is kind of annoying.

5. glazeduck

It's possible I'm misinterpreting your post, but I'm not sure I see how him celebrating in that pic is having the mentality of a junior higher?

6. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    He flexes after made shots or blocks. He wears "cool" sunglasses inside. He's in love with his body. There are literally dozens of examples, at least 4 of which
    were on display in game 2.

7. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, very true. On the flip side though, it's kinda cool that he doesn't care how dorky or uncool he is for doing those things. If only we could all be as un-self-conscious as Meyers.

H.C. and Wizard Mentor like this.
  8. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

FTFY

H.C. and blue9 like this.
  9. DaLong

DaLong Well-Known Member

He's going to knock someone out with those flying un-self-conscious elbows one day. I really don't understand the purpose of flailing around every rebound, even when no one is contesting it.

10. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    At $3 mil a year, it's endearing. At $10.6 mil/year, it's annoying.

joeBlazers likes this.
  11. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Cool - I could rattle of a long list of names that I hope catch one of his elbows!

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Meyers deserves credit for a lot of things...patience being one of them..the dude is unselfish, healthy and has really low miles on him for the years he's been here....he's just grown up. Stotts will leave him in a game when he played like last night...when he doesn't...he pulls him quick.

13. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Personally, I do not care one bit - as long as it is not hurting anyone - why does it matter. He has his way of celebrating or looking or whatever - good for him. Live and let live, I guess.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

yeah...Meyers will never be "cool"....it's just not who he is.

15. glazeduck

Perhaps you're new to professional sports? Nearly every player celebrates after doing anything even remotely positive. How is this different from the norm?

Have you seen the outfits that players wear to games? I don't even know what "cool" sunglasses are, but holy hell if that's not complaining about the snowflake on the tippy top of the iceberg, I don't know what is. [/QUOTE]

He should be. Professional athletes dedicate nearly every waking moment to their body and their craft, dude looks like an adonis. If I had his body (pro athlete or no) I'd be in love with it too. Again, I see no problem here...

To each their own, I'm not trying to bag on you, I just don't see any of these as any different than what anyone else in the NBA does on a nightly basis, so it feels like unnecessarily picking on Meyers. He's respectful, not a dirty player, has always kept his nose clean, and gone through a ton to get to where he is, in my opinion, let the kid celebrate big moments in a big playoff game.

16. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro

He should be. Professional athletes dedicate nearly every waking moment to their body and their craft, dude looks like an adonis. If I had his body (pro athlete or no) I'd be in love with it too. Again, I see no problem here...

To each their own, I'm not trying to bag on you, I just don't see any of these as any different than what anyone else in the NBA does on a nightly basis, so it feels like unnecessarily picking on Meyers. He's respectful, not a dirty player, has always kept his nose clean, and gone through a ton to get to where he is, in my opinion, let the kid celebrate big moments in a big playoff game.[/QUOTE]
    OK, whatever.

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I hope Meyers takes Zach and Skal to workout offseason with his trainer...the guy got results!

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.