Miami Signs Penny Hardaway

Discussion in 'Miami Heat' started by bronbron23, Aug 9, 2007.

1. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Miami Heat announced today that they have signed free agent guard/forward Anfernee ?Penny? Hardaway. Per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

?Penny is a player who has been an All-Star and has enjoyed an illustrious career,? said Heat President & Head Coach Pat Riley. ?We have been impressed at his hard work and dedication this summer to get back in shape and return to the NBA. He is a skilled player who can help us in multiple positions.?

During a 13-year NBA career with the Orlando Magic , Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks , Hardaway has averaged 15.4 points, 5.1 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.61 steals and 34.0 minutes in 688 games (549 starts). The 6?7?, 220-pound guard/forward has shot 45.8 percent from the floor, 31.5 percent from three-point range and 77.4 percent from the foul line.</div>

source

2. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

penny > smush

3. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Penny and Shaq reunited in Florida? Interesting.

4. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

Shaq must of been consulted before this signing.

I love Penny and hope he has some game in him left, but I'm still waitin for a big move.

We now have Smushed Pennies.

5. The Walrus

The Walrus JBB JustBBall Member

I guess they just figured they could replace Eddie Jones with Penny?

Look I love Lil Penny. But he's not lil anymore. This might let Shaq play better and a good mentor for Dorrel Wright and Dawayne Wade. He's gonna provide good vet leadership and mentoring skills but as a player, I dont see him producing more than 5 ppg.

6. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

I think Miami is having just a terrible off season as my Lakers are. Shaq and Kobe are both wishing they had never parted now. haha

I have nothing but love for Penny, I was a huge fan back in the Shaq/Penny era in Orlando. His time is up though. Maybe he wants to star in a sequel for BLUE CHIPS. haha

7. jbbhoops4life

jbbhoops4life JBB future coach

i could see him giving us a solid 10 ppg, but that might be some wishful thinking.

8. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Wow, why? I don't get this signing. He is old now, had a great career, why come back? I think Miller is definitely going to the Celtics, which is worse because when he goes to play against Indiana, they'll all be like "What?!" I though he retired. this season could be Dawn of the Dead. Except the dead guys are old 3 point shooter who are past their primes.

9. The Walrus

The Walrus JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">hoops4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">i could see him giving us a solid 10 ppg, but that might be some wishful thinking.</div>

That may be a little high.

Usually when old players try and make a comeback it usually works when they possess a talent you can't lose. Athleticim you can lose. Speed you can lose. Dunking you can lose. All three were things were part of Penny's arsenal.

Shooting however is something you don't normally lose. And great shooters are usually the type of older players that have successful comebacks, which is why Reggie Miller might have an okay season if he comes to the Celtics.

And it's also why Alan Houston is rumored to be making a comeback. Both are great shooters.

Like I said, Penny will make Shaq happy and be a good mentor to Wade and Wright, and nothing more than 5 ppg. In my opinion.

10. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

Great signing! Man i love this guy...i've been waiting since he got traded to the magics to come back into the league. I wish the Warriors picked him up..

11. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Didn't Shaq refer to him as Fredo a couple of seasons ago? Fredo was the dipshit brother in the Godfather who betrays the family and gets whacked.

12. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Didn't Shaq refer to him as Fredo a couple of seasons ago? Fredo was the dipshit brother in the Godfather who betrays the family and gets whacked.</div>

So..is Penny gunna get killed by Shaq?[​IMG]

13. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

I'm surprised with the signing here, but wouldn't that leave Miami with three point guards in Smush, Jason and Penny? Looks like old veterans returning has swept the scene lately.

14. MainMan

MainMan JBB JustBBall Member

sweet..I get to watch one of my favorite players play with a team I have much hate with. Ahh well the shaq and penny combo will be interesting to see..now i gotta change my avy

15. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">Asian Zero Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm surprised with the signing here, but wouldn't that leave Miami with three point guards in Smush, Jason and Penny? Looks like old veterans returning has swept the scene lately.</div>

What's wrong about 3 PG's? With Jason Williams being injury prone and Smush...being Smush,3 PG's is essential. Though Penny isn't the ideal guy, he's an upgrade over Quinn? and Jones.

16. brok3n

brok3n JBB JustBBall Member

Miami seems to be the destination for vets...

17. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Asian Zero Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm surprised with the signing here, but wouldn't that leave Miami with three point guards in Smush, Jason and Penny? Looks like old veterans returning has swept the scene lately.</div>

Actually, Penny will probably be their back-up two guard. I think this move was made, like Walrus said, to replace Eddie Jones.

Dwyane Wade is only out for the first month or so of the season though, so really, they only need Penny to log major minutes for 10-15 games until Wade gets back, then he can sit on the bench and collect his paycheck from the sidelines like he did with New York.

On a sidenote, the Heat now have sixteen players on their roster -

PG - Jason Williams / Smush Parker / Chris Quinn
    SG - Dwyane Wade / Penny Hardaway / Daequan Cook
    SF - Dorell Wright / Marcus Slaughter / Jeremy Richardson
    PF - Udonis Haslem / Antoine Walker / Wayne Simien
    C - Shaquille O'Neal / Alonzo Mourning / Michael Doleac / Joel Anthony

If I remember correctly, Anthony is only signed to a tentative contract, so he'll probably be cut before the season begins.

18. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

If he's here to play 2 guard, then that changes everything. I just wouldn't think why they'd want another point guard, you know.

19. AMS_ICE

AMS_ICE JBB JustBBall Member

Penny can give the Heat a little of everything. He has great basketball I.Q., a Pippen type of player. And hey, you can't do worse than Smush! [​IMG]

20. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Asian Zero Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If he's here to play 2 guard, then that changes everything. I just wouldn't think why they'd want another point guard, you know.</div>

Yeah, I understand. Penny's more than capable of playing the two though. He's played it since high school, and it's not like he's undersized at 6'7". I've always seen point guard as his secondary position.