Micheal Vick INDICTED!

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by TheBeef, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ATLien

ATLien Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>

The severity of this crime is why the NFL is going to end up coming off looking bad in this. I mean repeated DUI's or Two Felony charges in Dog Fighting? Which looks more "bad" to you? I understand your proven innocent until found guilty but like someone already said. The Feds are usually pretty careful when it comes to gathering evidence. </p>

</div>
    </p>

But isn't it league policy to not suspend players who aren't repeat offenders? I'm not defending dog fighting, I just seem to recall hearing that from somewhere..</p>

Leonard Little is still playing in the NFL, right? Ray Lewis? They actually murdered humans. Still playing and are on Pro Bowls.. </p>

2. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ATLien)</div><div class='quotemain'>

But isn't it league policy to not suspend players who aren't repeat offenders? I'm not defending dog fighting, I just seem to recall hearing that from somewhere..</p>

Leonard Little is still playing in the NFL, right? Ray Lewis? They actually murdered humans. Still playing and are on Pro Bowls.. </p>

</div></p>

</p>

A bit harsh....while both guys had involvment in unlawful deaths, that isnt murder....in Ray Lewis's case, he was being charged with Obstruction of Justice, not because he was involved, but because he saw it and wouldnt rat on his friends....thats a far cry from commiting a murder....Little's was a dui, and I believe he was charged with Manslaughter....I can tell you where this is going right now....Vick is going to jail....Federal Prosecutors have a 95% conviction rate on all cases that reach trial, and thats after taking out all the plea bargains that never get to a jury....if they brought an indictment its because a very good prosecutor knows hes got him....I also suspect that as animal cruelty becomes a hot topic in this country, Roy Jones Jr, who is very much involved in cock fighting, and isnt ashamed to tell you about it, will start to feel some heat too....
    </p>

3. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

Unless thistrial takes place in Los Angeles, then #7 is looking @ jail time IMO.

4. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'>

<font face="andale mono,times" size="3" color="#800000">Its one thing to endanger or cause harm to yourself or fellow adult. But to do stuff like that to a child or an animal shows contempt & an incredible lack of respect for pretty much everything.</font></p>

<font face="andale mono,times" size="3" color="#800000">What I'm curious to know is; What has Marcus Vick been up to? Does he have a role in any of this given his past & the fact he's had plenty of free time recently? </font></p></div>
    So if someone driving drunk runs into a car and kills the passengers, it is a bigger problem if the car contained a child or an animal?

5. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

Im never going to think that killing an animal is anywhere near as bad as killing a human, they arent even close....but, when commiting a violent crime, intent is a very important factor....getting drunk, which impairs judgement, then causing an accident that hurts or kills someone is horrible, but in the end, you didnt intend to hurt anyone, you just made a mistake that caused a tragic effect and the laws of the United States do seperate that from murder....intentionally torturing or violently killing people oranimals is unusually vile in my opinion....

6. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef)</div><div class='quotemain'>Im never going to think that killing an animal is anywhere near as bad as killing a human, they arent even close....but, when commiting a violent crime, intent is a very important factor....getting drunk, which impairs judgement, then causing an accident that hurts or kills someone is horrible, but in the end, you didnt intend to hurt anyone, you just made a mistake that caused a tragic effect and the laws of the United States do seperate that from murder....intentionally torturing or violently killing people or animals is unusually vile in my opinion....</div>
    Getting drunk impairs your driving ability, but taking the risk of driving drunk is rather vile too. It isn't like I'm not pointing the finger back at myself either. I consider myself very fortunate, but also very stupid for some of my college stunts 15 years ago.

7. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

he hasn't been charged with anything? then why rush to judgement? What country do you live in that takes action before a guilty charge has been announced? Please, do let us know where. If you live in the US, then drop it until he's actually convicted of something.</p>

</p>

8. TA

TA nfl-*****s member

9. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef)</div><div class='quotemain'>Im never going to think that killing an animal is anywhere near as bad as killing a human, they arent even close....but, when commiting a violent crime, intent is a very important factor....getting drunk, which impairs judgement, then causing an accident that hurts or kills someone is horrible, but in the end, you didnt intend to hurt anyone, you just made a mistake that caused a tragic effect and the laws of the United States do seperate that from murder....intentionally torturing or violently killing people or animals is unusually vile in my opinion....</div></p>

I agree with this. What Vick "allegedly" did was intentional. A DUI is more stupid than anything but your not intentionally trying to hurt anything. Vick new exactly what he "allegedly" did. That's what disgusts me the most. I&rsquo;ve never gone a complete 180 on my thoughts on a player like I have with Mike Vick on and off the field.

</p>

10. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider)</div><div class='quotemain'>

he hasn't been charged with anything? then why rush to judgement? What country do you live in that takes action before a guilty charge has been announced? Please, do let us know where. If you live in the US, then drop it until he's actually convicted of something.</div></p>

The court of public opinion is a funny thing & is always in session.
    </p>

11. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Senator Robert Byrd took the floor and called Vick barbaric, among other things.</p>

Time for the ex-KKK grand dragon to finally retire, I think.</p>

I agree with blackadder - the court of public opinion is always in session, and the NFL has already taken action against the guy. Regardless of innocent until proven guilty, it's not good PR for the league.</p>

</p>

12. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

the court of public opinion is the real "rocket docket"....

13. The Return of the Raider

The court of public opinion is a funny thing & is always in session.</p>

</div></p>

That is not a real court, and has no power, no check n balances. It's all about the Peanut Gallery, and they use a lot less electricity when casting a verdict.</p>

</p>

14. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

You are half right, its not a real court, but it is not devoid of power....the court of public opinion can not incarcerate you, but it can take away your endoresments and destroy your career by pressuring the businesses that are paying you....Mike Vick likely has plenty of money to live on forever, but maybe he doesnt....maybe he made bad business decions like he made bad personal decision and has squandered away a lot of money....and maybe legal fees plus any money hes going to be sued over by the team(and he will be sued if hes convicted), will decimate the rest of his forture....maybe Marcus Vick will end up being the richer of the two....a conviction will ruin him for life, but the court of public opinion has already devestated his ability to seek employment....he couldnt get hired at Burger King today if he wanted too....thats power

15. Thoth

<font face="georgia,palatino" size="3" color="#000080">The court of public opinion is very real. To quote the Rock group Megadeth, "Tell me something, its still we the people, right?"It is the voice of the people that ultimatley drives the whole system of governance in this country.</font></p>

<font face="georgia,palatino" size="3" color="#000080">This superceding indictment that is scheduled to be filed against by the end of Aug does not look good for MV. This means more charges might be coming. Vick walking in & out of the arraignment seperate of his 3 co-defendants is not a good sign IMO. I bet at least one pleads guilty to some lesser charges, gets immunity, and lets the cat out of the bag so to speak.</font></p>

16. ktblair

ktblair Member

<font size="3" color="#3366ff">Maybe he can join up with OJ Simpson and look for the real killers,there is 2 NFL players(1 former and hopefully 2 former) that makes me sick !</font></p>

17. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

The post above mentions O.J. and the others mention public opinion. If your looking to dispute public opinion then just look at O.J. Simpson. Both connect to one another. Vick will be looked at, maybe not as bad as O.J. but similar in some way. Look at O.J. Simpson now. Public opinion of him has made him that way. His &ldquo;alleged&ldquo; actions helped. Whether he did it or didn't is debatable and most probably think he did but because of the public opinion of him, he is looked at as a murderer.

Vick could get off, which is very unlikely from what I've seen so far and the public opinion of him will make him out as a monster because of what he "allegedly" did. So public opinion is very real. Ask O.J. Simpson and Mike Vick is already finding out. If Mike Vick ever plays again, public opinion will be the one to ruin his career.

18. The Return of the Raider

I am keenly aware of how public opinion ruined OJ Simpson. OJ was on trial for murder. Vick is not being accused of murdering anyone, is he? It's OK to kill cows and pigs on a massive scale, sell their meat to Burger King, and make a huge profit from it. It's not OK to raise dogs for fighting, make a very small amount of money, and kill off a *few* of them. What is the difference? Is it because its a dog and nota cow or pig? Is it the method in which they killed the dogs that makes it worse? </p>

In some parts of the world, cows are worshipped. They would never think of raising them with steroids, slaughtering them unceremoniously for their meat. Why is it that , all of the sudden, we are so sensitive when dogs are getting disrespected and killed at the hands of human beings? Both are intelligent mammals. Both have edible meat.</p>

I eat mammals everyday. Please help me understand why raising your own animals, and using them for your own profit is somehow morally objectionable on one hand, and not the other, provided you are not training them to harm human beings.</p>

The bottom line...if you eat meat, and you are ready to send Mike Vick to jail, then you arecomplete hypocite and a fraud. There really is no middle ground here. In our country, we are the masters over all animals. You are either a member of PETA and a vegetarian, or you are a meat eater and are ok with what Mike Vick is accused of.</p>

</p>

</p>

19. The Return of the Raider

<font face="georgia,palatino" size="3" color="#000080">The court of public opinion is very real. To quote the Rock group Megadeth, "Tell me something, its still we the people, right?"It is the voice of the people that ultimatley drives the whole system of governance in this country.</font></p>

</div>No, they have taken great steps to separarte the "court of public opinion" from (sequestered) juries. Trial by ajury of your own peers...minus what is being spewed out in public.</p>

</p>

</p>

20. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider)</div><div class='quotemain'>

I am keenly aware of how public opinion ruined OJ Simpson. OJ was on trial for murder. Vick is not being accused of murdering anyone, is he? It's OK to kill cows and pigs on a massive scale, sell their meat to Burger King, and make a huge profit from it. It's not OK to raise dogs for fighting, make a very small amount of money, and kill off a *few* of them. What is the difference? Is it because its a dog and not a cow or pig? Is it the method in which they killed the dogs that makes it worse? </p>

In some parts of the world, cows are worshipped. They would never think of raising them with steroids, slaughtering them unceremoniously for their meat. Why is it that , all of the sudden, we are so sensitive when dogs are getting disrespected and killed at the hands of human beings? Both are intelligent mammals. Both have edible meat.</p>

I eat mammals everyday. Please help me understand why raising your own animals, and using them for your own profit is somehow morally objectionable on one hand, and not the other, provided you are not training them to harm human beings.</p>

The bottom line...if you eat meat, and you are ready to send Mike Vick to jail, then you are complete hypocite and a fraud. There really is no middle ground here. In our country, we are the masters over all animals. You are either a member of PETA and a vegetarian, or you are a meat eater and are ok with what Mike Vick is accused of.</div></p>

I may eat meat but the last I checked I have never electrocuted anything in my life. I have never raised animals to viciously attack one another. You don&rsquo;t see Cows or Pigs trying to tear each apart limb from limb. We raise dogs as pets. Anyone who has had a dog and cared for it will tell you that it is apart of your family. For the most part you don&lsquo;t see nor hear about cows, pigs, and chickens as family.

I think instead of calling people who eat meat hypocrites and frauds for thinking Vick is morally wrong for what he did you should go straight the government and propose we change at least one law in this country.

The FACT is dog fighting is against the law. Plain and simple. Raising cattle is not. Going to the store, buying a steak, and eating it is not against the law. Mike Vick "allegedly" broke the law. I did not. I don't have to be placed in the same category as an "alleged" criminal because I eat meat. My record is clean. I have never spent a night in jail. Mike Vick if convicted will be going to prison. Not me. Why because I followed the law. He didn't and that's the bottom line. </p>