Michigan State @ Oregon! Sept 6th, 2014, 3:30pm, Game Thread!

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by SlyPokerDog, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

That was a bad call too...at least it doesn't matter.

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Hahahahaha! Your reverse jinx > Nate's jinx.

3. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Thank you Freeman.

4. SlyPokerDog

OREGON WINS!

46-27

5. SlyPokerDog

6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

That was definitely a fumble. Just saying....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Go Virginia Tech!

8. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    [video=youtube;nFuwS9M7jkQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFuwS9M7jkQ[/video]

9. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

10. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

I can't wait to go back and read the roller coaster of bitching Lolz. Great win though! Be safe you guys!

11. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

I was the only one (I think?) who thought Oregon would lose this game. I am happy that my prediction did not come true. I have to admit that I was thinking to myself that I hated being a genius at the start of the 3rd quarter. It was looking pretty bad with MSU scoring 24 points in the second quarter and taking the lead into half time.

12. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

When Oregon went into halftime tied at 28 in the Rose Bowl a couple years back, I wasn't nervous for the same reason then as today. Oregon plays it's backups a lot more then most teams. So if come halftime the opponent has kept the score close they're actually not doing that well. The 2nd half Oregon's front line talent (especially their D vs the opponent O) is a lot fresher. The opponent's front line Offensive guys have already played nearly a full games worth of snaps while Oregon's frontline D talent has maybe played 2/3rds those snaps. They win the war of attrition

because of all the complete blowouts where the Offense goes into shutdown mode, the stats don't really relay how much these 2nd half crushings are the norm

STOMP

13. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

some funny stuff for sure... Nate, are there any stocks that you think for sure are going to tank next week? Please tell me everything thats wrong with the company and exactly why they'll fail

STOMP

14. SlyPokerDog

Research Notes

The key to Oregon's rushing in the second half was its ability to get outside the tackles, where it gained 130 of its 160 second-half rush yards.
    [+]
    After gaining 14 yards on 13 rushes in the first half against Michigan State, Oregon found space to run in the second half.
    [+]
    Marcus Mariota completed 5-of-7 passes thrown 15 yards or longer, including all three of his touchdown passes. Last season, Michigan State allowed the lowest completion percentage on passes of this distance of any Power Five defense.
    [+]
    Michigan State has won its last 3 games in which it fell behind by double-digit points (2012 at Indiana, 2012 vs TCU, 2014 vs Stanford).

Michigan State rushed for 37 yards in the second half on 15 carries. The Spartans were contacted at or behind the line of scrimmage on nine of those 15 attempts. They had three such carries in the first half.
    [+]
    Michigan State is currently a 12.5-point underdog to Oregon this week (was 13.5)... For Michigan State, it is the largest they have been underdog since 11/22/2008 when they were on the road in Penn State... They were a 16-point underdog that week and lost 49-18... A little context...Michigan State starting QB that week? Brian Hoyer...the back up? Kirk Cousins...
    [+]
    Only once since 2004 has Oregon allowed more than 24 points in the 1st half at home. In 2010 against Stanford, the Ducks allowed 31 in the 1st half but held the Cardinal scoreless in the 2nd half and won 52-31.

With Michigan State traveling to No. 3 Oregon on Saturday... Sparty seeks its 1st true road win over an AP-Top 5 opponent since 1998 against No. 1 Ohio State. That team -- coached by Nick Saban -- handed the top-ranked Buckeyes their only loss of that season.

Michigan State led FBS in total defense last season, but they'll face a different challenge on Saturday. Oregon has run the zone read on 44 percent of rush attempts since the start of 2013, second-most among Power Five teams. The Spartans have only faced zone read on 12 percent of rush attempts in that span.
    [+]
    Following Wisconsin's loss to LSU in primetime last week, the Big Ten looks for a marquee non-conference win when Michigan State travels to Oregon this weekend... The Big Ten needs it as the league plays only five more non-conference games against AP-ranked opponents and No. 3 Oregon is the only one ranked in the Top 15.
    [+]
    Connor Cook had a career-high eight completions on passes thrown 15 yards or longer. It was the most such completions allowed by Oregon in a game in the last four seasons. However, Cook only had one such completion and three such attempts in the second half.
    [+]
    If (7) Michigan State is going to beat (3) Oregon this week, a big game is needed from its top RB Jeremy Langford. Since the start of the 2012 season, the formula to beating the Ducks consists of having a running back that has a big day on the ground. The only 3 instances in which Oregon has lost over that time, an opposing back has gone for at least 157 yards on at least 33 carries. While Langford has not reached either of those marks in a single game, he's had plenty of big games. Langford, a Preseason All-Big Ten selection by Phil Steele (second team), rushed for more than 100 yards in a school-record 8 straight games last season.
    [+]
    ESPN Stats & Information​

15. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

So, did the Duck offense find their sweet-spot in the 2nd half - or did the MSU defense lose their moxie to fatigue?

Either way, it worked.

16. Natebishop3

Oh did I say we were gonna lose?

17. SlyPokerDog

He's saying you're a jinx. :biglaugh:

18. Natebishop3

But we won?

19. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

1honestfan is good people, as long as he's not rubbing his season tickets in your face.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  20. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

We barely ran in the first half but did a lot of running in the second half... I'd say it was a bit of a rope a dope.