Miles Frustrated

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by dtpxcore, Apr 6, 2006.

1. dtpxcore

dtpxcore JBB The Regulator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">After experiencing consecutive frustrating seasons, Portland Trail Blazers forward Darius Miles on Tuesday said he is not certain that he wants to stick around for another.

Miles wouldn't commit to either wanting to remain in Portland or wanting to leave, but said he plans to discuss the franchise's direction with Blazers management after the season.

"I don't know," Miles said when asked if he'd prefer to play with a different team next season. "I'll talk to Nate, talk to the management when the season's over with, and we're gonna come up with something.

"If I really don't feel like I want to go in the direction that they want to go in, probably another decision will be made. But right now I'm here."

Blazers general manager John Nash said Miles has not expressed a need to discuss the franchise's direction.

Blazers coach Nate McMillan said he has asked Miles if he wants to remain in Portland or leave, and has received an answer. But McMillan declined to comment on that conversation.

"This is not the time to talk about it," McMillan said.

Miles has been considered part of the core of young players around which the Blazers are rebuilding ever since he signed a six-year, $48 million contract in 2004. But Miles has become the face of the Blazers' struggles ever since.

A film-room conflict between Miles and former Blazers coach Maurice Cheeks came to symbolize Portland's implosion last season. And while Miles played well for the first month this season, averaging 18.8 points, 5.7 rebounds and shooting 49 percent from the field, he missed 2 1/2 months starting in early December with a knee injury that required surgery. Miles hasn't been the same player since.

In the 21 games in which he has played since returning from surgery in mid-February, Miles averaged 11.6 points and 4.1 rebounds while shooting 45 percent from the field. When those performances have been questioned, Miles responded by saying his knee hadn't fully recovered and felt weak, which limited his speed and explosion.

Miles' effort has also been questioned, as has his commitment to the team, particularly after he overslept and missed a team shootaround before a game at Phoenix on March 23. Miles was held out of that game.

After Saturday's loss to Utah, Miles said the season had been frustrating, and he wasn't optimistic Tuesday when asked about the player-only meeting Portland held after a 39-point loss to Seattle on Sunday dropped the Blazers' record to 20-53.

"There really wasn't nothing to talk about," Miles said. "If were going to have a meeting, we should've had it in December or January."

With the Blazers in the midst of an 11-game losing streak that threatens the franchise record of 13, Miles said he wants to discuss the direction the franchise plans to take in the offseason.

"We're gonna have a long talk," Miles said. "Like I've said, right now I'm here. I've got four more years on my contract, so I'm supposed to be here."

</div>
    http://www.columbian.com/sports/localNews/...06news18634.cfm

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

What a jackass, why did he sign for a long term deal if he doesn't like the team? I cannot stand the mentality of a lot these so-called "professionals" in the league.

This should be the motto for these prima-donnas
    Pay Me, Play Me, now Trade Me

3. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

As long as the team's nucleus is Zach Randolph and Darius Miles, Portland is going no where.

4. tinyballer

tinyballer JBB JustBBall Member

Heck the team might not even be in portand for long know. There are some reports that the owner and some other wannabe owners are trying to move the team to Vancouver and has already been putting together a proposal to move the team to Vancouver. Personally i don't really want a fat guy who claims to be the franchise and thinks hes everything and doesn't have any morales in him to be the leader ala Zach Randolph. Darius Miles at least tries hard in that at least now hes develeoped a jumper.

5. houston_owns_u

houston_owns_u JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Darius Miles at least tries hard in that at least now hes develeoped a jumper.</div>

If want someone who tries hard on his game, try Josh Smith. He worked on his shot so much, he can even hit 3's now.

6. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

I feel for Darius. Its really unfortunate he's stuck in this bad situation. Portland should try trading him to a championship contender.