Miles is Ready to 'Punish Them'

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">MINNEAPOLIS -- The Trail Blazers have been imploring Darius Miles to take the reins of this young team and become an aggressive and dominant force every night. From the sounds of it, the 24-year-old might be getting the message.

Miles said he has a simple game plan tonight when the Blazers open their NBA season against Minnesota at the Target Center:

"Punish them," Miles said.

At times during his five-year NBA career, Miles has indeed been a punisher. But performances such as his 47-point outburst against Denver in last season's penultimate game often are followed by stretches of anonymity.

That inconsistency has ultimately led to the "untapped potential" tag that has followed Miles through stints with the Los Angeles Clippers, Cleveland and now Portland. Miles says that label is unfair because he has never been asked to carry a team.

But now that the Blazers are rebuilding with youth, McMillan has made a concerted effort to get inside Miles' head, telling him what he has always wanted to hear: Lead us.

"Basically, Coach said I need to step up, start being aggressive, be a leader, and step into a role that I ain't never stepped into before," Miles said. "Now it's just up to me to do it."

So on cue, Miles has predicted a big game tonight against the Timberwolves, who figure to send vaunted defensive stopper Trenton Hassell at Miles. Miles said that won't matter.

"I will punish him, like I have been doing," Miles said. "Regardless of who guards me, it doesn't matter. Trenton is probably their top defender, but I have been posting Trent for years. He doesn't have anything that I haven't seen."

Normally, that type of talk could cause a coach to cringe, knowing it provides the Timberwolves with bulletin-board fodder, but McMillan on Tuesday got a twinkle in his eye when he heard Miles' vow to "punish" Minnesota. </div>

Source

2. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

If McMillan isnt pissed it could be because Darius might've of really improved this offseason or it could be because he likes the good attitude. Either way Im happy, hopefully Darius shows up.

3. D-Miles

D-Miles JBB JustBBall Member

i think darius has the ability to carry the blazers, i just hope that he does. i hope that this changes his mind about wanting to leave

4. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Well he definitely held up to his words with 32 points and 11 boards, but the team couldn't pull out a win.

5. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Miles certainly lived up to his words with 32/11/5. Hopefully McMillian can make Miles play to his full potential.

6. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

Yea Miles really lived up to his promise to punish. Its too bad that the team still couldn't pull a win even with his performance.

7. On_The_Rim29

On_The_Rim29 JBB JustBBall Member

One of the pro's of bringing in McMillian. I surely hope Darius is the first to benefit from this move.