milestone win for blazers

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by blazerspwnu, Feb 11, 2007.

1. blazerspwnu

blazerspwnu BBW Member

blazers have now gotten 22 wins... thats one more than all of last year, and with 30 plus games to go.some good progress going on in rip city. Ive heard people talk about a potential 8th seed playoff spot, but I think thatd be bad for the blazers. Its not like we'll get anywhere in the playoffs, and I think a high lottery pick would be better.just think if we got Durant or one of the other high prospects in a draft that should be the best since 03Blazers starting 5:Sergio, Roy, DURANT??, Randolph, Aldridgethats a really high calibur team in 2,3 years. Championship? Not all that much of a stretch...

2. bballinyao06

bballinyao06 BBW Elite Member

That's a pretty good record so far for the Blazers. I actually never would have suspected the Blazers to beat their record from last year without Telfair but it looks like their rookies are helping out a lot. It seems like this season, a couple of teams who I would have expected to do better (I.e. Boston, Charlotte, Seattle, Memphis, etc.) are doing bad and teams I thought would do terrible are actually doing pretty good (I.e. Portland and New York).

3. redneck

redneck BBW Elite Member

I was expecting the Blazer to be just as bad this year as they were last year. from what I've seen of them they'd have a lot more wins if they could just finish games. You're also not going to get a top 5 pick, I think Portland will actually win way to many games to get enough balls in the drawing.

4. blazerspwnu

blazerspwnu BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (redneck @ Feb 11 2007, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I was expecting the Blazer to be just as bad this year as they were last year. from what I've seen of them they'd have a lot more wins if they could just finish games. You're also not going to get a top 5 pick, I think Portland will actually win way to many games to get enough balls in the drawing.</div>actually finishing games it hasnt been TOO much of a problem for the blazers. Their main problem is holding a lead, for some reason they play better when from behind. they're .500 in 8 overtime games this year, 2 of the last three went to overtime only cause of new mr clutch brandon roy. 3 pointers vs denver (loss) and bobcats (win). Yeah idk if were gonna get a top 5 pick. Hope so, it would definitely benefit the franchise long term. Maybe we'll get lucky for once. Last year we got number 4, the worst spot possible for a team with the worst record...

5. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

Yeah, I definitely admit that I was wrong about Portland this year. I mean they definitely still have a long way to go and a lot of waiting to do, but they have made much more progress this season than I would have expected. They started off around .500 for a while, from what I can remember, and they got some solid wins early on in the season.

But I really like the young players in Portland. I've always been a big fan of Brandon Roy. He's so heady and he has the complete package. He doesn't blow you away like Kevin Durant, but he does everything well. Jarrett Jack is another one of those just flat out solid players. He'll be in this league for a long time. He plays defense and he can run an offense, and he's pretty quick too. Sergio Rodriguez is a good playmaker, but he's going to have to work on his defense immensely. Martell Webster is a guy we'll have to wait another year or two before he starts getting into the flow of things, but he has potential to be a pretty good player as well. He has a great jump shot with great mechanics and range. He came into the league with a solid frame and an NBA body. He's a better defender than I think some people realize as well.

LaMarcus Aldridge is a guy I like. When he has gotten minutes this year, he has produced. You could obviously see the talent in this kid coming out of Texas (wow, imagine if he stayed another year to play with Durant?). He's long, athletic, he can finish, he can block shots (not only because of his length, he's got pretty good timing). He just needs to add a little muscle and upper body strength before he can be a real valid starter at center (he'll have to succeed at center in Portland as long as Z-Bo is in town), but he's going to be a good player.

Also, blazerspwnu, I don't think you guys will be bad enough to get one of the top couple picks in the draft. And even then, it wouldn't work out for the best because the top 5 prospects in this draft class are big men. There is no room to bring in another good young big with Randolph and Aldridge there, and Przybilla is there as well. I think you guys will end up with a pick between 5-9, and you could end up with a guy like Julian Wright. Wright would be perfect in Portland, IMO. He's long, athletic, does a little bit of everything, and he's a very good defensive player. I think he'd be perfect at the 3. Jack, Roy, Wright, Randolph, and Aldridge would be an excellent young core. Excellent.