Milwaukee drafts Yi

Discussion in 'Milwaukee Bucks' started by Bahir, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Bahir

Bahir User power factor: ∞

Although Yi's agent said something about Yi not wanting to go there because of the small market, they drafted him. How do you Bucks fans feel about having Yi, Bogut and Charlie-V on the same team?

2. tinyballer

tinyballer JBB JustBBall Member

Yi will not be a buck by seasons start. He will not sign. It is saying something when your agent locks out a GM when you are working out.

3. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

no idea why the bucks did this.....i see no reason why they couldnt of pulled at least a trade where they send the pic to the Warriors for Ellis and their pick

4. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

Yeah, wasn't it the Bucks that were denied a workout from Yi because China and his agent wanted him to go to a big market team.

I wanted him to be available at #9 so the Bulls didn't select Noah, which happened. Only if Wright fell one more spot.

5. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

The Bucks drafted him because they felt he was the best player available and they'll have him playing for them this year. Yi's people tried to dictate the whole process too much and it backfired to the point that they don't have a lot bargaining power anymore. If he ever wants to play in the NBA, it'll have to be with Milwaukee and, by all means, he has been groomed to play in the NBA this upcoming season. Teams aren't going to give the Bucks an offer worth considering (what with the uncertainty surrounding his game, transition to the US, and his "handlers"), so I don't see them dealing them off. More than likely, he'll have to play off his rookie contract and show that he can be a legit star before he can start demanding things again.

I don't know why Milwaukee drafted him though. They're not such a bad team that they had to just go for BPA. Villanueva already does what Yi brings and they had much more specific needs that could've been filled with the swingmen in the draft.

6. NTC

NTC Active Member

Yi seem's mega pissed

[​IMG]

7. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

It was no secret leading up to the draft that the Bucks were going to take Yi if he was available. Yi himself has said that he will play for the Bucks, however his representation is probably going nuts trying to work something out to get him out of there. Let's not get this critisizing the wrong guy, Yi will play for Milwaukee if need be. They do have Charlie already, but IF this guy pans out there is no doubt he will be better and Charlie is a good guy to have off of the bench. Who are their FA's? I believe they have to re-sign Mo and Bell, right? Let's assume they keep their roster intact: Mo, Redd, Bell, Yi, Charlie, Bogut, Simmons, Gadz. Not a bad roster at all you can definitely create a workable starting lineup with a good bench from that. Maybe shore up the PG spot since Boykins is probably gone (don't know much about Sessions) and get a tad more depth at the power positions. Milwaukee isn't looking bad at all.

8. Basketballer05

Basketballer05 JBB JustBBall Member

I do not like Yi's attitude at all. He is a rookie and should not demand who he plays for like he is already some guarnteed superstar. He should be happy just to play NBA for any team as most rookies are happy to do. Until he has played a few years in the NBA and has established himself, then he can start demanding where he wants to play. But as a rookie you should be happy to go anywhere and not demand things.

But other than his attitude, I am very pleased with the Pick. Yi is very young and can develop into a good player. I hope he plays at Milwaukee for a long time and has great sucess.

(By the way, was Yi Born in 1984 or 1987? NBAdraft.net says 1984, while other sites say 1987. When was Yi Jianlian really born?)

9. Bahir

Bahir User power factor: ∞

<div class="quote_poster">Basketballer05 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    But other than his attitude, I am very pleased with the Pick. Yi is very young and can develop into a good player. I hope he plays at Milwaukee for a long time and has great sucess.

</div>

So far, it seems like it hasn't been Yi who has said he doesn't want to play in Milwaukee, but rather it's his agent and whoever who has said that Yi should play in a city with a big market and many asians. Yi himself has apparently said that he will play for the Bucks.

10. Basketballer05

<div class="quote_poster">Bahir Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">So far, it seems like it hasn't been Yi who has said he doesn't want to play in Milwaukee, but rather it's his agent and whoever who has said that Yi should play in a city with a big market and many asians. Yi himself has apparently said that he will play for the Bucks.</div>

You should of seen the look on Yi's face when he got drafted, not even a smile. I hope your right and Yi wants to play for Milwaukee. Sometimes rookies just have to accept what team they get drafted to and help them. Okafor probly didnt want to go to the Bobcats when they started out because they had no players, but he did not whine. I truly think it has got nothing to do with the city, its the team. Yi does not want to play for a team that is in its rebuilding stages. But he dosnt understand that he will be a big part of this rebuilding stage and could help us make the playoffs this year. Him and his agent just have to accept where he ended up and play it out for the Bucks.

11. bangofan13

bangofan13 JBB JustBBall Member

Stern was not exactly ecstatic either.

[​IMG]

12. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Bucks said they've made a global impact by selecting Yi Jianlian.

But that's only if they can get Yi, selected with the sixth pick in the NBA draft, to a city his handlers had shunned in the weeks leading up to Thursday night.

Disregarding his desire to play in a city with a heavy Asian influence -- there are only about 27,500 Asian Americans in Milwaukee -- the Bucks picked the 6-foot-11 forward to become the fourth Chinese player to make the NBA.

The question is whether he'll ever wear a Bucks uniform.

"I think so," Yi said. "It's a surprise to me. ... I'm not really familiar with the city as well, but I'm happy to be playing with the team and happy to play in the NBA."

Bucks general manager Larry Harris said Yi was rated third on the Bucks' draft board, and will showcase Milwaukee to China.

"It's global now," Harris said. "Chinese basketball is huge and it's growing and to have one of their countrymen that is actually very, very good and can play and is young and can be here for a long time, I don't know how it's not a windfall for us."

Yi is not scheduled to appear in Milwaukee, but instead will join the Chinese national team and scrimmage on Sunday and Tuesday in Dallas before heading to Las Vegas to play in the NBA summer league.

Harris said he wasn't sure if he'd meet with Yi's representatives in Dallas or Las Vegas, but that playing for the national team is Yi's priority.

"Based on timing, there wasn't any way to get him in here," Harris said. "I don't want anybody to be misled that that's a bad thing. Certainly we would encourage him to come here as soon as he could."

Questions about his defense, strength and age also surround Yi Jianlian (pronounced EE TEE-an-LEE-an), who has been protected by handlers who wanted him in a city like Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia or the Bay area.

Agent Dan Fegan did not allow the Bucks to hold a private workout or see Yi, but did allow teams as low as the Sixers, with the 12th pick, to take a look at one of the draft's most unknown talents during a workout in Los Angeles. Harris said Philadelphia was among several teams that called and tried to trade for the pick.

Harris said Fegan was surprised at the Bucks' pick.

"He was shocked," Harris said. "I told him several weeks ago that we're going to take the best player. ... We think he's one of the best players and if he turns out to be the best one at six, we're going to take him."</div>

Source: ESPN

The article mentions Larry Harris (Buck's GM) father actually coached Yao in China, so at least there's a relationship established already.

13. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I personally think this whole "will he show?" story is overblown. He's going to show, its just a matter of if he fits and if he pans out.

14. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

I really like Yi, and im all for globalization of the game, but the communist influence of china still shows through Yi's representation. I dont like how they tried to dictate where Yi went, I think he'll be a stellar player and I really look forward to seeing him ball next year whether it be for the bucks [hopefully], or for someone else.

15. tinyballer

tinyballer JBB JustBBall Member

Its not the communist regieme doing anything here. It is the simple fact Nike wants Yi in a big city like LA and not wanting him in a small one like Bucks. Jus like how Nike wanted Lebron in NYC and not Cleveland. In the end of the day if Nike believes Yi will make more money playing in the CBA in terms of advertisments thats where he will go and right now thats a real possiblity. Yi going back to China where he will become the most loved Chinese player and the key market of the Chinese population which is around 400 000 000 who play basketball and can afford to invest in jerseys and stuff. If Yi is in Milwaukee all of you fans owe Del Harris a big thanks since right now Yi will be heading to Dallas to train with your GM's dad. I personally believe he will be a Buck though if he is guarenteed 20 minutes of playing time per game. Also, it is really not Yi's choice where he plays, his representatives make the final decision because Nike is the one handing out how much they put on his Nike contract which is more than his NBA salary ever will be.

16. Basketballer05

Could we please break this myth about Yi. How old is he? 24 or 19?

NBAdraft.net says he was born in 1984, lots of other websites say he was born in 1987 (Including NBA.com).

So how old really is Yi?

17. The One & Only

The One & Only JBB The Orlando Tragic

If Yi is really 19.....wow. That kid is going to have years ahead of him.

18. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Buckets Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I really like Yi, and im all for globalization of the game, but the communist influence of china still shows through Yi's representation. I dont like how they tried to dictate where Yi went, I think he'll be a stellar player and I really look forward to seeing him ball next year whether it be for the bucks [hopefully], or for someone else.</div>
    What does communism have to do with dictating where Yi goes? One city is more left-wing than the other and that's why Yi should be in the Bay Area or Boston? His management just decided that it would be better for Yi to play in a city with a large Chinese population so that he can suit in faster and bring more of a buzz around himself and eventually roll in more money. That's quite capitalist actually.

19. yudalicious

yudalicious JBB JustBBall Member

i think yi will end up playing in the nba for sure, china would probably want at least a year's of nba experience for the 08 olympics in beijing. whether or not it's in milwaukee... who knows.. i like the move by milwaukee, call the agent's bluff, you end up either with a guy with great potential or trade value.

20. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Locke Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">What does communism have to do with dictating where Yi goes? One city is more left-wing than the other and that's why Yi should be in the Bay Area or Boston? His management just decided that it would be better for Yi to play in a city with a large Chinese population so that he can suit in faster and bring more of a buzz around himself and eventually roll in more money. That's quite capitalist actually.</div>

If by rolling in more money you mean to the Chinese government, right? That's pretty much why there's an uproar about where Yi goes. He goes to LA or Boston = big dollars for the government. They are still taking loads of money from Yao so Yi needs to find a place where he can maximize his profit so he won't be broke while in the U.S.