Minor League Soccer - Division II (NASL)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EPJr, Jun 1, 2010.

1. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

Re: Minor League Soccer - Division II

COSMOS SIGN THREE MORE PLAYERS
    [​IMG]

The New York Cosmos announced today that three players have agreed to join the club: defender Hunter Gorskie and goalkeepers Jimmy Maurer and Chad Calderone.

Gorskie, 22, is a 5’11” defender from Marlboro, NJ. He recently graduated from Stanford University where he spent his senior season as team captain. Gorskie made 63 appearances in his college career and was a member of the U-18 United States men's national team pool.

Maurer, 24, is an American goalkeeper who played last season with Universidad de Concepción in the Chilean Primera Division. Prior to his stint in South America, Maurer spent the 2011 season playing for the Atlanta Silverbacks in the NASL. Maurer started all 78 games of his four-year collegiate career with the South Carolina Gamecocks, recording the second-most shutouts in school history (28).

Calderone, 32, is a 6’1” goalkeeper from Baldwin, NY who most recently played for the New York Pancyprian-Freedoms of the Cosmopolitan Soccer League. Prior to that, he played for the Cosmos U-23 team, including their 2011 match against Manchester United in the Paul Scholes Testimonial. He helped Kellenberg High School to a Long Island championship and was named to an All-State and All-Region player. Calderone began his college career at Colgate University and was named Patriot League Rookie of the Year in 1999 before he transferred to Old Dominion University.

http://nycosmos.com/news/cosmos-sign-three-more-players

2. EPJr

[​IMG]

The New York Cosmos announced today that a deal has been agreed with Venezuelan midfielder Diomar Díaz, pending a physical exam with the club.

Díaz, 23, played the 2012-13 season with Atlético Club Mineros de Guayana of the Venezuelan First Division. Díaz began his career with Deportivo Petare before being transferred to Mineros last January.

“I would like to thank god for this beautiful opportunity he’s given me,” Díaz said. “I’m very excited for my first day with the Cosmos and I hope to do things the right way in New York. It’s extremely important to me to have this chance to play for such a historic club where legends of our game played in the past.”

The 5’7” attacking midfielder becomes the 15th member of the Cosmos and third international player on the roster. NASL rules allow up to seven internationals on a club’s roster at any given time.

http://nycosmos.com/news/cosmos-sign-diomar-díaz

3. EPJr

4. EPJr

Marc Dos Santos Named Inaugural Coach Of Ottawa Fury FC
    [​IMG]
    Dos Santos joins Fury FC after spending the last two years coaching in Brazil

Marc Dos Santos will lead Ottawa Fury FC into the 2014 North American Soccer League season as the first head coach in team history.

Dos Santos returns to the NASL where he was one of the original eight coaches in 2011 with the Montreal Impact.

The new Fury FC coach, who led the Impact to the United Soccer Leagues (USL) title in his first year at the helm in 2009, was introduced to eager Ottawa soccer fans via a video conference call from Sao Paolo, Brazil, where he is currently coaching with Desportivo. He is scheduled to join the club on July 1.

“I’m very proud and honoured to lead Ottawa Fury FC in its first NASL season,” said the 36-year-old, who was born in Montreal. “I hope this is only the beginning of a great story of success. The city will embrace this team, I’m sure!”

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=4627

5. EPJr

Wynalda Flies In To Coach With Silverbacks
    [​IMG]

Less than 24 hours after he returns from covering the UEFA Champions League Final in London, Atlanta Silverbacks Technical Director Eric Wynalda will be hopping on a plane to Salt Lake City to meet the team ahead of their clash with Major League Soccer side Real Salt Lake.

Wynalda, who is currently in London covering the game for FOX Soccer, will join Silverbacks Head Coach Brian Haynes on the bench for the team’s third-round U.S. Open Cup game, replacing Silverbacks Assistant Coach Franklin McIntosh. He will miss the game due to disciplinary action, and Silverbacks Goalkeepers Coach Jose “Gaucho” Pinho will not be available for the game due to prior commitments.

The U.S. soccer legend’s place on the bench as an assistant coach represents something of a role-reversal for him and Haynes. Wynalda was brought in last July as the club’s interim head coach, and after initially turning the team around on his own, he selected Haynes as his first assistant coach. After the duo continued to improve the team following their poor start to the 2012 season, Wynalda recommended Haynes as the man to replace him. As the head coach, Haynes then went on to lead the Silverbacks to an undefeated September, ending the 2012 season as the NASL’s hottest team.

With Haynes at the helm and the team gunning for first place in the NASL league standings this weekend, Wynalda believes that things couldn’t have worked out any better.

“Brian and I have always been a team, and we’ve never thought one of us was more important than the other,” Wynalda said. “The team is playing well and he’s doing an outstanding job, so I don’t think we should change what we’re doing. It’s my honor and pleasure to coach with him on Tuesday, and I’m going to do my best to stay out of his way.”

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=4651

6. EPJr

Ottawa Fury FC Unveils New Logo
    [​IMG]

After receiving more than 1,000 000 submissions during a 5-day online logo selection campaign, Ottawa Fury FC President John Pugh unveiled the North American Soccer League club's official logo on Saturday afternoon.

“The fans’ input has been invaluable and we responded to their comments,” said Pugh. “We are pleased with the logo as the centerpiece of our re-branding.”

The official Ottawa Fury FC crest was one of the three logos voted on during the selection campaign back in early April. After the results and feedback were reviewed some minor changes were made to this crest, which will now become the centerpiece of the Fury FC brand.

The crest has a tradition soccer shield design housing the name Ottawa Fury FC as well as a flame that will serve as a symbol of club.

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=4650

7. EPJr

FC EDMONTON PROPOSED STADIUM
    [​IMG]

previous meetings with the city, several sites were discussed — including rebuilding the Clarke site, which is on the LRT system and is next door to Commonwealth Stadium. Other options include somewhere on the Northlands ground, or a refitting of Telus Field, which is close to downtown but not on the LRT line. Telus Field had been the home of minor-league baseball in the city.

But the drawing suggests FCE would much rather be in a built-from-the-ground-up soccer facility rather than be in a refitted baseball stadium, like the Portland Timbers call home in MLS.

http://the11.ca/2013/02/06/fc-edmonton-updates-city-fans-on-soccer-stadium-progress/

8. EPJr

Cosmos unveil new Nike-designed uniforms

[​IMG]

9. EPJr

New York Cosmos announced their new kit sponsor: Emirates Airlines.
    [​IMG]

The announcement was revealed today by New York Cosmos Honorary President Pelé, club Chairman Seamus O’Brien and Nabil Sultan, Emirates Divisional Senior Vice President of Revenue Optimization and Distribution, at a news conference at the Four Seasons Hotel New York.

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=4728

10. EPJr

FIRST STEPS
    Cosmos begin training at Mitchel Athletic Complex

[​IMG]

By Michael Lewis
    BigAppleSoccer.com Editor

NEW YORK -- The New York Cosmos have begun practicing at Mitchel Athletic Complex in Uniondale, N.Y., although not at their training field.

They are still waiting for their $400,000 training field to be completed. The team is spending its own money to revitalize a part of the complex.

But they made the first important steps toward preparing for the North American Soccer League fall season, which kicks off a little less than two months from now against the Fort Lauderdale Strikers at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y. on Aug. 3.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/cosmos2.php?article_id=33778

11. EPJr

[​IMG]

The New York Cosmos announced today that two players have agreed to contract terms with the team: forward Jemal Johnson and defender Chris Rodd. The Cosmos also hired their full-time fitness coach, Simone Lucchesi.

http://nycosmos.com/news/cosmos-add-two-more-players-squad

[​IMG]

The New York Cosmos have signed Villarreal legend and former European Champion Marcos Senna, pending a physical exam. Senna is set to make his debut on American soil on August 3 when the Cosmos open the fall season in the NASL at Hofstra University.

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=4797

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  12. EPJr

Scorpions to Host Mexican Giants, Tigres UANL
    [​IMG]

The San Antonio Scorpions will host Mexican giant and three-time winners of the Mexican First Division title, Tigres, Toyota Field on Saturday, July 6th at 7:30 pm, Scorpions President and General Manager Howard Cornfield announced on Wednesday.

The match will mark the first time in history that Tigres will make an appearance in San Antonio. The Mexican powerhouse will bring their frontline first team to play in a match against the Scorpions during the month long NASL break between the spring and fall seasons. The match will mark the second to last game for Tigres before the start of their Liga MX season.

http://www.reddit.com/tb/1g9ysq

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  13. EPJr

Juergen Sommer Named Coach Of Indy Eleven
    [​IMG]

Former U.S. Men’s National Team goalkeeper Juergen Sommer will guide the fortunes of Indy Eleven having been named Director of Soccer Operations and Head Coach of the North American Soccer League club.

Sommer has the distinction of being the first American goalkeeper to play in the English Premier League when he lined up between the posts for Queens Park Rangers in 1995 following a successful spell with Luton Town. The role is a homecoming for Sommer, who attended high school at Culver Academy in northern Indiana and won a college national championship at Indiana University where he was named Soccer America’s Goalkeeper of the Year as a senior in 1990.

“The NASL welcomes Juergen to the family,” said NASL Commissioner Bill Peterson. “As the first American goalkeeper to play in the FA Premier League, he joins a long list of global soccer pioneers in NASL. After meeting him, I'm confident he will take Indy Eleven to the highest level of pro soccer in the U.S. and beyond.”

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=4781

14. EPJr

PRI will now also miss the 2013 Fall NASL Season
    [​IMG]

While it was public knowledge that the Puerto Rico Islanders was going to miss the 2013 Spring Season, it was somewhat of a shocker that the club has decided to not to compete at all in 2013. With the club’s inability to find a majority owner combined with the island’s recent changes within it’s government played a huge role in the Islanders decision to sit out until 2014.

For many NASL and Islanders supporters, this comes off as a shock. Since joining the NASL, the Puerto Rico Islanders have been one of the more consistent clubs in the league. For a program that has truly evolved, fans in New York will not have to wait until 2014 to see them.

http://latinosports.com/islanders-entire-2013-nasl-season/

15. EPJr

Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
    [​IMG]

Former chief executive officer of the Oklahoma City Blazers plans to house a North American Soccer League team in the renovated stadium. Funk, the owner and president of Prodigal LLC, implored the board to approve his request to use Taft as the home of a United Soccer League team. Lund, the managing partner of Sold Out Strategy, wanted the board to grant him the lease, so a North American Soccer League team could be housed at Taft.

After both sides presented and answered the questions of the board members who required clarification, the board deliberated its decision.

In a majority ruling, Lund was awarded the rights to Taft's two-year lease plus a renewal option.

“It's a big day for sports in Oklahoma City,” Lund said. “We're going to be bringing an extremely high level of world-class soccer to Taft Stadium. Personally it's a dream of mine. I grew up playing, I met my wife playing soccer, and it's a special, special day for Oklahoma City, not just soccer fans, but sports fans in general.”

http://www.reddit.com/tb/1gkjx8

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  16. EPJr

Leyton Orient and Watford to host
    New York Cosmos

[​IMG]

Leyton Orient and Watford are to host New York Cosmos in friendlies on 24 and 27 July respectively. "I'm looking forward to taking our squad to the UK," said Cosmos head coach Giovanni Savarese. "The chance to train and play in a different environment and face Orient will benefit our team and our pre-season preparations."

http://www.reddit.com/tb/1grmgg

17. EPJr

[​IMG]
    Scorpions to Host Friendly Against Mexican Side Dorados

NASL’s San Antonio Scorpions will host another international friendly against a Mexican team next month when Club Social y Deportivo Dorados de Sinaloa (Dorados) visits Toyota Field on July 20.

The last-time the Scorpions faced Dorados was in Stockton, California in 2012 when forward Hans Denissen scored twice to lead San Antonio to a 3-0 win.

"Dorados has been gunning for revenge since we beat them by three goals last year in Stockton," said Scorpions President and General Manager Howard Cornfield Cornfield. "We are dedicated to bringing in exciting teams to Toyota Field for our fans and I think his will be a good test for us against another good Mexican team, and our fans will enjoy this matchup."

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=4877

18. EPJr

New York Cosmos Signs Former USMNT Midfielder
    Danny Szetela

[​IMG]

The New York Cosmos announced today the signing of former U.S. Men’s national team midfielder Danny Szetela.

“This is a great opportunity to join such a historic club and get back in the game,” said Szetela. “I’ve been hungry for the game and I love being back out there everyday.

“The Cosmos are giving me a chance and I’m grateful to the coaching staff for that. I want to help on the field in any way I can.”

The Passaic, New Jersey native turned professional in 2004 when signed with the Columbus Crew of Major League Soccer at just the age of 16. He made 34 appearances for the Crew before moving abroad to play with Racing de Santander of Spain’s La Liga and Brescia Calcio of Serie B. After a stint at MLS’ D.C. United, Szetela stepped away from soccer in 2010 due to injuries.

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=4915

19. EPJr

The New York Cosmos signi local players
    David Diosa and Sebastien Guenzatti

[​IMG]

The New York Cosmos today announced the signings of local players David Diosa and Sebastien Guenzatti.

“It is nice that we have a strong core of local talent on this club,” Cosmos head coach Giovanni Savarese said. “David and Sebastian are gifted young players who will be solid additions for our squad. I have coached Diosa for a few years now and it will be great to see him continue his development with the Cosmos.”

http://nycosmos.com/news/cosmos-sign-new-yorkers-diosa-guenzatti

20. EPJr

Atlanta Silverbacks Crowned NASL Spring Champions
    Silverbacks win 3-0 in Minnesota as Carolina falter

[​IMG]

The Atlanta Silverbacks were crowned North American Soccer League Spring Season champions on a spectacular Fourth of July final day of action and will host the 2013 Soccer Bowl in November against the eventual fall champion.

“I am so proud of these guys and how they played,” said Silverbacks coach Brian Haynes who has turned around Atlanta’s fortunes after they finished one place of the bottom of the 2012 NASL standings. “We did what we had to do so I am so proud of the boys who gave a great effort against a good team and we took our chances well.”

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=4944