Politics Misogyny or propriety?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by PtldPlatypus, Jul 11, 2019.

1. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Platypuses seldom come off well on TV.

Chris Craig likes this.
  2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

We don't do much, you know.

Chris Craig likes this.
  3. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    True, but you have that venom thing going for you. Kind of like a superhero power.

4. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Well, I'd be worse than terrible at politics. But we are both smart enough to know that about ourselves. Unlike, apparently, him.

barfo

5. barfo

He didn't have to give her exactly what she wanted to get good press. He could have proposed an alternative that would give her equivalent or better access. He bungled the job. But, I'm viewing it from Oregon. For all I know, this played really well in Mississippi, and his poll numbers will go through the roof, assuming that they have polls, or roofs, in Mississippi.

barfo

Chris Craig likes this.
  6. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Wait what? people have agreements with their wives to never be alone with a woman? Why? This is astonishing to me

Chris Craig likes this.
  7. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    Agreed.

BTW, this certainly isn't the first time this topic has been addressed/discussed/debated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Graham_rule

The Billy Graham rule is a practice among some male evangelical Protestant leaders, in which they avoid spending time alone with women to whom they are not married. It is named after Billy Graham, a proponent of the practice, although recently has also been called the Mike Pence rule.[1] It is adopted as a display of integrity, a means of avoiding sexual temptation, to avoid any appearance of doing something considered morally objectionable, and to avoid being falsely accused of sexual harassment, but has been criticized as being sexist........

"Billy Graham rule"

In 1948, Graham held a series of evangelistic meetings in Modesto, California. Together with Cliff Barrows, Grady Wilson and George Beverly Shea, he resolved to "avoid any situation that would have even the appearance of compromise or suspicion".[2] The accountability agreement, which has become known as the "Modesto Manifesto",[3] covered not only their interactions with women, but also commitments to integrity with respect to finances, their interactions with local churches, and publicity.[4] From that time onward, Graham made a point of not traveling, meeting, or eating alone with a woman other than his wife Ruth.[5] Graham biographer Grant Wacker observed that "Over the years Graham received intense media scrutiny, but hardly anyone accused him of violating any of those four principles."[6] By Graham's own admission, though, he was not an absolutist in the application of the rule that now bears his name: his autobiography relates a lunch meeting with Hillary Clinton that he initially refused on the grounds that he does not eat alone with women other than his wife, but she persuaded him that they could have a private conversation in a public dining room.[7][8]

"Mike Pence rule"

In March 2017, The Washington Post noted that U.S. Vice President Mike Pence had adopted a version of this rule, in that he will not have dinner alone with any woman other than his wife Karen.[9][10][11] Emma Green, writing for The Atlantic, noted that the controversy was an example of how "notions of gender divide American culture": while "socially liberal or non-religious people may see Pence's practice as misogynistic or bizarre", for "a lot of conservative religious people" the "set-up probably sounds normal, or even wise".[12] Employment lawyer Joanna Grossman wrote that the Pence rule, when applied to workplace dinners, could be illegal labor discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.[13]

8. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Amazing. Glad I can avoid this rule. Cuz, you know, my wife trusts I won’t mess with a woman because she’s standing next to me

Chris Craig likes this.
  9. barfo

It does seem to be cutting yourself off from part of life for no obvious benefit, but I guess if you believe being alone with women is a risk not worth taking, then ok.

barfo

Chris Craig likes this.
  10. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

11. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

It has nothing to do with trust between a husband and wife.

12. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Personally, I think this journalist, below, has it all wrong. The so-called Billy Graham Rule was not about Billy Graham not trusting himself so much as was/is about potential he-said, she-saids, should he be "set up." And don't think for a second that there weren't folks out there ready and willing to do just that. I think it's a great rule, which removes all possibilities of the aforementioned actually happening.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...ac6bb02d01d_story.html?utm_term=.7c274e6dfb4b

But unfortunately, there’s not a single inch of moral high ground achieved via the Billy Graham rule, which purports to honor marriage vows. In similar fashion, Vice President Pence once said he would not dine with a woman to whom he wasn’t married. But rules like these don’t honor your wife. They just presume that your marriage vows are so flimsy that you can’t be trusted to uphold them unless a babysitter monitors you. It’s rather like a thief sanctimoniously announcing that he brings a parole officer every time he goes to the bank to make sure he doesn’t rob it. Good for you, dude, for knowing your own limitations — but it doesn’t make you better than the rest of us, who manage to regularly not steal things even when we’re completely alone.....

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  13. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

If you live your life thinking women are going to make shit up about you....you might have an ego problem. And if you do nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about. And it has everything to do with trust between husband and wife or why make a pact about it? Is it “hey someday a woman might make a story up about you so let’s make an agreement to never be alone with the opposite sex?” That is ridiculous.

14. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Some people have a lot more to lose if/when a story is made up about them. Obviously, you have nothing to be concerned about.

15. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Lol. And you do? Check the ego at the door and realize 99.99% of women aren’t sitting around plotting how to ruin some random dudes life.

16. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Dude, I'm the same little raft as you.

17. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I’ve got plenty to lose. As I’m sure you do. I just don’t live life worrying about the .001% of women plotting against a man.

18. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

Under any circumstance?

19. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

What if you work with females? Are they allowed to be around you alone? I mean, that’s a real double whammy of being accused of sexual assault AND workplace sexual harassment. How would one explain that? I can’t have a meeting with Mary because she’s a woman and might tell people I tried to grope her.

20. ABM

Commercial Real Estate

Well, there ya go, then. Fish on!