MLB The Show 11

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sex Panther, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Sex Panther

Sex Panther works every time.

Ask.
    Anyone else have this yet?

I just bought it today for PS3 and holy crap the new pitching, batting and (to a lesser extent) fielding analog controls are hard.

I've been practicing the batting and it's still really hard.

2. Fastforward7

Fastforward7 JBB JustBBall Member

I got it a few days ago, I use meter for pitching and i put fielding to auto, although in RTTS i use the analog controls for fielding in training. I also couldnt really get used to the analog swinging, tho i am gonna give it another try.

3. Sex Panther

Ask.
    I'm getting really good at this game, took me a while

baserunning is actually the hardest part to control with stealing bases, controlling the runners, and leading off

hitting has gotten pretty easy, it actually requires SOME skill as opposed to just timing the years before.

4. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I enjoy the game, and I'm glad they finally added analog hitting and pitching. I'll say that the defense is better than 2K, though 2K does two things that I prefer over The Show. 1) I prefer 2K's batting. While it's really similar to what The Show is doing this year, I prefer being able to flick the joystick up for a contact hit, and pulling back and pushing up for the power hit. I don't like on 2K how you have to pull and push regardless of the type of the hit, and I hate that you have to choose what type of hit you want BEFORE the pitch. What if I want a power swing because I got a juicy fastball down the middle of the plate and it's selected to contact? I'm screwed, that's what. 2) While I love The Show's new pitching, 2K does that better in my book as well. I love the gesture based pitching, and it's easier to locate pitches too, because you choose the location of the break. Beyond that, it sometimes seems like it's hard to get the meter all the way over on The Show.

Overall, The Show is the better game - the hitting and pitching are great, and the defense is leagues over 2K. Oh yea, and the graphics. However, the presentation, at least as far as commentary, is way behind. The Show has relatively awful commentary, and 2K's is fantastic.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  5. Sex Panther

Ask.
    For hitting, I'm pretty sure you can press the O or Square button (for PS3 anyways) to choose what type of hit you want to pine. But as to the pull down and flick up, sometimes I just leave my analog down and just flick up (+ O or Square) when the ball is near.

Pitching is actually a lot harder. You can't just master the meter and pick + choose the location. The pitching requires focus and the location is pretty random even if you're a millimeter off.

This game is actually really, really good.

6. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Oh I know the game is good, believe me. And with hitting, I'd much rather have the 2K swing stick instead of having to choose which type of hit that I want to use pre-pitch (or to have to switch to a face button when the pitch is coming to me). While it's not a huge problem, it's just a nuisance.

7. Sex Panther

Ask.
    What do you guys like best about this game?

I love road to the show, I just wished they built on it more. And franchise is really fun to play. I actually like running the franchise and making sure it's successful almost as much as the gameplay lol.

8. Fastforward7

I like RTTS and franchise as well. I just wish my WhiteSox would stop trading me lol. All i wanna do is come up to the big leagues with them lol

9. Sex Panther

Ask.
    Yeah, I got drafted by the Giants.

So far i'm in AAA, and my speed has made me a beast (28 SBs in 19 games)

10. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

In almost any franchise/dynasty mode, that's more what I do. I love building a team from crap and turning them in to a dynasty.

11. Fastforward7

I never go into the draft, I always put myself on the sox. Maybe I should try the draft once in a while

12. Sex Panther

Ask.
    by the way, how do you check out a player's career stats on franchise? on the player card, all that seems to matter are hits, HRs and batting average.

13. Fastforward7

No idea, I dont usually do alot of that. I think there might be something about it in the first few messages you get when you first start rtts