OT MLB to PDX: We're talking baseball to PDX

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Apr 15, 2018.

1. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    What people fail to understand is how economically impactful (in a positive way) that a sports franchise can be for a city and beyond. Unfortunately there will always be loud objectors because they have no interest in the sport, but fail to see what all it does to make the city a better place with new infrastructure and tourists coming to the city for a game and the money spent around town on game days/nights.

2. CupWizier

retired
    I remember going to Civic Stadium to watch the tryouts during their time in Portland as that's when Bing Russell owned the team and Kurt Russel was a player for the team. Also, The Mavericks played an exhibition game against a team called the Portland Lobos which played in the local semi pro league that I was playing in at the time as U of Portland had a team in that league. The Lobos were filled with many ex pro and college players and had won the National Championship 2 years prior. I don't remember but I think the Lobos actually won the game.

3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I remember the Lobo's but never went to their games.
    I played legion ball for Taylor Electric and I believe a few of the guys that went to either Oregon or Linfield may have played for the Lobo's.
    I think I told you in the past that my Cousin, Ken Hutchens, played for the Madison Contractors and they won a nation championship.

CupWizier likes this.
  4. CupWizier

retired
    That's pretty cool. I played against Madison a year after they won their championship in Legion ball and a few players were left over from that team such as Tom Wise, Bruce Maxwell and Bill Baynard. It was my sophomore year and we played Madison in a best of 3 series to go to state and unfortunately we lost the 3rd game after splitting the first two very close games. The final game was played at Walker Stadium and the crowd grew so big that it was standing room only and people lined up on the outside. It was one of my biggest thrills in my sports career and a bit daunting for a very young looking 15 year old as some of those Madison guys looked like men, lol.

Hoopguru likes this.
  5. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

So? Billionaires have enough money to build their own stadiums.

The RG cost 350 million to build.

6. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

I mean, I work with folks that are upper-management for some decent-sized sponsors of the Timbers. I can’t say anything for certain as I’m not associated with the team... but the folks I do know had little knowledge of the financing arrangements and other things of that ilk. They had little clue. I can’t imagine most fans knew what was going on, as most don’t pay attention until the team is actually thrust upon you.

I mean, any of the die-hard soccer fans don’t really know or care about anything other than the fact we have a team. That’s pretty typical, though. I mean, how aware of the financing and politics surrounding us obtaining a franchise we’re you until it happened?

7. BLAZINGGIANTS

And that cost was how many years ago?

8. CupWizier

retired
    I agree with that, that most people aren't that aware or even really care, but that is pretty much the case with the baseball team or any other new sport coming into the city.

9. CupWizier

retired
    Did you mean to respond to my post? I'm not following what you are responding to.

10. BLAZINGGIANTS

It much more publicized and discussed than the Timbers, or soccer in general, are. I’m honestly not hating on soccer. I love soccer. As a sport, you really can’t get better exercise. In general, though, it doesn’t have the following in the US that baseball does and therefore generally doesn’t generate the same level of revenue or attention.

11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

So? In that time what has happened to America's wealth?

It's shifted toward those same billionaires.

You're not making a point.

12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

It seemed to me like you were trying to make an argument for the billionaires.

My contention is "so".

13. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

You may be overstating the positive economic impact of franchises and stadiums.

https://research.stlouisfed.org/pub...the-economics-of-subsidizing-sports-stadiums/

Charcoal Filtered likes this.
  14. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Bean counters are always going to differ on things like this. The good old “spend the tax dollars on infrastructure” point of view is always the safe position (unless you consider the amount of money pissed away on some debatable projects or bloated budgets), but it totally overlooks the value of professional sports in establishing a reputation as a “big league” city. Portland is always going to be little brother to Seattle in public perception due, in part, to having only one (sorry Timbers fans) major sports franchise. Perception matters to companies looking to locate in an area. It’s not the only factor, obviously, but it is a factor.

15. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I seriously doubt the number of pro franchises plays any meaningful part in the decision of a company to locate to a city.

16. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I thought Amazon chose Arlington, VA because of their abundance of pro sports teams?

17. BLAZINGGIANTS

Dude, when did you become so abrasive?

In as few words as possible, I was supporting your point. The Rose Garden was privately financed at a price that would be significantly greater all these years later.

But hey, let’s just piss on each other than do what we’re here to do. Actually talk about the topic at hand.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Stevenson likes this.
  18. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

They aren't asking the public to help fund the stadium? Any public money will be from the revenue generated by the taxes on the players. They have been very clear about this.

RR7 likes this.
  19. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

My bad. It didn't seem that way.

20. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Welp… Looks like @Mediocre Man was right

Bonds for Portland Major League Baseball team could be in jeopardy