MLS Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EPJr, May 29, 2010.

1. agoo

agoo Member

Re: MLS Expansion 2013

You can't wear it to a match, but you can buy the jersey:

[​IMG]

The umbro kits are awesome of late, going with a simple clean look. I'd hate to see what adidas would do to this, but they'll be making it for MLS if they get there.

2. Sex Panther

Sex Panther works every time.

Ask.

that actually look nice.

3. agoo

agoo Member

Rick Parry has joined the board of the New York Cosmos.

One of the comments below summarizes it pretty well as they have no shot at joining MLS without a stadium deal. Fancy uniforms and big names involved will only get you so far.

4. agoo

agoo Member

Posted this in the wrong area earlier today.

The Mayor of Omaha, Nebraska is looking to bring MLS there. He says that the stadium they're building for the College Baseball World Series (its a relative term) would be perfect for an MLS franchise.

In related news, I say that I'd like to bring tons of cash into my bank account. A Citizen's Bank Green$ense checking and savings account would be perfect for about five million dollars.

In the end, its good to want, but neither of these will happen.

5. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

...does he have a rich owner or does Omaha want to become the Green Bay of MLS with public ownership

6. Sex Panther

Ask.

So wait, you're ok with bringing an MLS franchise to Omaha, but not to a Canadian team huge with soccer like Calgary? :S

And what's the cap on the # of teams Don Garber plans to keep the MLS at?

7. agoo

agoo Member

I'm opposed to Omaha. There's no soccer history there to speak of, so it shouldn't be a priority, unless there's some unknown soccer history I'm unaware of. The only midwest location I would consider is St. Louis, which is a solid ownership group away from having a squad. I'd prefer a New York City team or something in the southeast to anything. Maybe they could consider Omaha if MLS ever develops the reserve division into a second division league in coordination with USL and NASL clubs, but I would doubt that would ever happen.

As for the number, I think its 20 to 24 max. I don't think FIFA regulations allow more than 24.

8. Sex Panther

Ask.

I've been hearing that St. Louis is a viable option but i'm not sure the city will back that, seeing as how the Rams and Blues have lost stakes on profits. I like the idea of a Florida team like Miami with a soccer team. A beautiful, cosmopolitan city on the uprise and a great sports base. I'd also love for San Fran to get a team, but i'd find it hard to believe the MLS would allow California to pony up 4 squads.

9. EPJr

September 15, 2010 - Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) Omaha Vipers

[​IMG]
    (Omaha) - The Omaha Vipers MISL professional indoor soccer team today announced the signing of the first two players to two-year contracts with the team. Carlos "Chile" Farias is a Chilean soccer forward who has spent almost his entire professional career in the United States. He has played in five indoor and outdoor leagues including the MLS. He most recently played with the LaRaZa of Monterrey, Mexico in the MILS. He was the CISL rookie of the year in 1996 and made First Team All Star Honors in 1999, 2001 and 2004. In last year's MISL championship game, he was named MVP.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4091513

10. agoo

agoo Member

Its a huge hot bed for soccer players, many of whom end up capped. St. Louis University won five of the first seven NCAA championships (the first was 1959, so we're not going that far back) and nine of the first 13. Five of the 11 players from the 1950 World Cup team were St. Louis natives. More recently Steve Ralston, Taylor Twellman, and Frank Simek call it home. Perhaps not great of late, but Twellman would have been a pretty big deal if he hadn't had some untimely injuries and possibly a career ending neck/head injury combo. Vedad Ibisevic was in St. Louis when he developed as a player and was spotted by Euro clubs.

AC St. Louis has gone poorly, but I think a lot of that is due to poor ownership and the disappointment of losing an MLS team. If I recall correctly, there were a couple of ownership groups looking at bringing MLS to St. Louis, but neither could get the required finances or support for a stadium together. St. Louis was basically a good ownership team away from joining MLS.

11. EPJr

LA Galaxy Legend Cobi Jones Departs the Club
    [​IMG]
    January 10, 2011 CARSON, Calif. – The LA Galaxy announced today that Cobi Jones, who has been with the club as a player and assistant coach since the inaugural season in 1996, has elected to leave the club to become the Associate Director of Soccer with the New York Cosmos, while also serving as an Ambassador for the club. The 40-year-old played for the Galaxy from 1996-2007 before becoming an assistant coach with the club in November 2007, a position that he held for the past three years. With Jones on the coaching staff, the Galaxy reached the postseason twice and finished in first place in the Western Conference each of the last two seasons, winning the Supporters’ Shield last season.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2011/01/la-galaxy-legend-cobi-jones-departs-club

12. agoo

agoo Member

That lets you know that they are pretty damn serious about going to MLS. Also, the youth development clubs they acquired are doing pretty well. A few days ago, Wilmer Cabrera called in 40 players for the Spring semester of the US U-17 Residency and two midfielders came from Cosmos West and a forward from Cosmos East.

13. EPJr

The New York Cosmos continue to make waves. After Cobi Jones, another soccer legend joins the club in advance of an MLS expansion bid: ex-Manchester United great Éric Cantona is the new Cosmos director of soccer. Check out the accompanying photos on the club site (http://www.nycosmos.com/).

The Frenchman makes a shock return to football today as Director of Soccer at New York Cosmos.

He said: "I am very honoured to join the legendary New York Cosmos. It's a big project, a wonderful project.

"The Cosmos are very strong, beautifully made, with a great past. It's kind of a mix between football and art."

Cantona vows to restore the glory days of the five-times champions and help build them into one of the world's best clubs.

He said: "I will do everything I can to help us first find our way to regain the No 1 position in the United States, and then for us to become one of the best clubs in the world."
    [​IMG]
    Cantona will be officially unveiled in a blaze of publicity by Cosmos chairman Paul Kemsley, the flamboyant former vice-chairman of Tottenham Hotspur.

The Cosmos are set to return to big-time football in 2013

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3359030/Eric-Cantona-returns-to-football.html

14. agoo

agoo Member

The Cosmos aren't set to return to anything. They still don't have a home pitch or a team in any division of American soccer.

Also, Cantona reeks of a publicity grab, though a very strong one. Cobi Jones will be running things with Giovanni Savarese and Ted Chonopolous, while Cantona will join Pele and Chinaglia at appearances.

15. EPJr

NEW YORK COSMOS U-23 JOIN USL PREMIER DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE

May 4th, 2011 (Tampa, Fla.) – United Soccer Leagues announced today that New York Cosmos U23 will field a team in the Premier Development League (PDL), and will become a full member for the 2012 season. New York Cosmos U23 will play a limited exhibition schedule against PDL competition during the 2011 season, and will not be eligible for the playoffs or the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. The PDL franchise will be led by longtime USL player/coach Giovanni Savarese, who is also a member of the 2007 USL Hall of Fame. A coaching announcement, along with the full roster and schedule will be posted by mid‐May on www.uslsoccer.com and www.newyorkcosmos.com.

COSMOS ACADEMY WEEKEND RESULTS

May 3rd, 2011 – Both Cosmos Academies had successful weekends with Cosmos Academy East teams picking up five wins against long-time rival, Met Oval, and Cosmos Academy West U14 and U16 Pre-Academy teams advancing to the next round of the National Cup. Full results are below.

Cosmos Academy East

*U12 White Cosmos Academy East vs Met Oval: 5-1 (Win)
    *U12 Blue Cosmos Academy East vs Met Oval: 2-2 (Tie)
    *U13 Cosmos Academy East vs Met Oval: 8-0 (Win)
    *U14 Cosmos Academy East vs Met Oval: 8-1 (Win)
    *U15 Cosmos Academy East vs Met Oval: 1-0 (Win)
    *U16 Cosmos Academy East vs Met Oval: 1-0 (Win)
    *U18 Cosmos Academy East vs Met Oval: 0-0 (Tie)

***Rescheduled game Tuesday, 5/3 for U14 Cosmos Academy East vs. Met Oval. Final result 5-1 (Win) with goals by Brendan Silva (2), Javier Gonzalez (1), Jonathan Uy (1), and Krenar Alimi (1).

Cosmos Academy West

Boys 14 96′s*
    Cosmos Academy West vs. PVSC Exiles 5-0 (Win)
    Cosmos Academy West vs. FC Manchester United 5-1 (Win)

Boys 14 97′s*
    Cosmos Academy West vs. Santa Monica 1-0 (Win)
    Cosmos Academy West vs. San Diego Surf 3-1 (Win)

Boys 16 Pre-Academy*
    Cosmos Academy West vs. NHB: 2-0 (Win)
    Cosmos Academy West vs. CZ Elite: 2-2 (Tie)

USSDA 16′s
    Cosmos Academy West vs. Real Salt Lake: 2-3 (Loss)

USSDA 18′s
    Cosmos Academy West vs. Real Salt Lake: 0-1 (Loss)

16. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle

This is a crazy idea.

It's hard to believe that NY2 will be ready to go anytime soon, they aren't even close to a stadium.

We'll see what happens I guess.

17. agoo

agoo Member

There's no ownership group. The Wilpons were interested a while ago, but they're stuck in the Bernie Madoff fall-out and don't have the money anymore.

18. EPJr

COSMOS SQUAD FOR MATCH AGAINST MANCHESTER UNITED
    [​IMG]
    July 21, 2011 - On Friday, August 5th, 2011, The New York Cosmos will be the first American club team to ever play at Old Trafford against Manchester United.

Honorary President Pelé and Director of Soccer Eric Cantona have put together a roster of world class stars and homegrown players and academy talent to play in Paul Scholes Testimonial Match.

The team that will take the field has accumulated nearly 1000 international caps as well as 2 World Cups, 5 Champions League Trophies, 21 Premier League titles, 4 La Liga titles, 5 Serie A titles and 17 FA Cups.

The match will also be shown live in the United States exclusively on Fox Soccer at 2:30PM ET.

For all of our fans in New York City, The New York Cosmos will be hosting a viewing party at the Football Factory at Legends Bar at 6 West 33rd Street, New York, NY 10001. Please join us as we watch the Cosmos take the field for the first time in over 25 years.

Full Roster:
    Nicky Butt
    Wayne Bridge
    Chad Calderone *
    Sol Campbell
    Fabio Cannavaro
    Ibrahim Diaby *
    Stefan Dimitrov *
    David Diosa *
    Brad Friedel
    Marvin Iraheta *
    Robbie Keane
    Brian McBride
    Dane Murphy *
    Gary Neville
    Yanik Reyering *
    Michel Salgado
    Moriken Sangary *
    Patrick Vieira

*Denotes New York Cosmos U-23 Player

http://nycosmos.com/news/cosmos-squad-announced-match-against-manchester-united

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  19. EPJr

[​IMG]

Man United beats Cosmos in Scholes testimonial

MANCHESTER, England (AP)—Paul Scholes opened the scoring in his testimonial match on Friday as Manchester United beat the New York Cosmos 6-0 at Old Trafford.

Scholes fired home a trademark shot from 20 meters and England striker Wayne Rooney converted a penalty to give a full-strength United a 2-0 lead at the break.

With a Community Shield match looming against local rivals Manchester City on Sunday, United manager Alex Ferguson reshuffled his side for the second half.

The Cosmos, watched by its director of football—former United great Eric Cantona, went on to concede further goals from Anderson, Danny Welbeck and Mame Biram Diouf (2).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  20. EPJr

New York Cosmos Invited To Las Vegas For Preseason Tournament Next February
    [​IMG]
    Aug 5, 2011 - While the New York Cosmos may not be a Major League Soccer team yet, it isn't stopping the club from participating in a preseason tournament next February in Las Vegas, Nevada. According to The Las Vegas Review-Journal, the Cosmos will participate in the inaugural "Vegas Winter Kick" on Feb. 25 at Sam Boyd Stadium. The Cosmos' roster and opponent will be announced in October. This will mark the first time for the Cosmos to play in Las Vegas since the old NASL Cosmos played there back in 1977.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2011...ed-to-las-vegas-for-preseason-tournament-next

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011