Mobile functionality?

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Denny Crane, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I have the ability to do all kinds of things with text messages to your mobile phones.

One idea I have would be to send you a text message 20 minutes before your favorite team's next game starts, end of quarter (period) scores, and final scores. We could also connect the text message alert system to the calendar so you could be notified on birthdays, anniversaries, and other scheduled "events."

Can also send you an SMS (text message) when you receive a PM or someone replies to a particular thread you might be really interested in getting a response to.

The only negative is that the cost of sending text messages is expensive, so it'd be a feature we'd have to charge for.

Is this something you'd be interested in?

(Depending on the kinds of messages we'd be sending out, the fee would be $5/mo or $10/mo)

2. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    We have this real-time newsfeed coming in. If you had control panel options to "send me a text message when X event happens" the site would send you those text messages.

There have been quite a few times when I've looked up at the clock and gone "oh man, the Bulls game started 10 minutes ago and I missed it." If I had gotten a text message 15 minutes before the game, wherever I was, I could figure out how to watch or otherwise get info on the game.

If you play fantasy football, we could send you a text message if one of your players gets injured, so you can quickly make a roster move if you have to.

You could set up the site calendar to remind you of your mother's birthday 4 days ahead of time. You get a text message to remind you to go get her a present (so she won't put laxative in your dinner [​IMG] )

Suppose you post that you badly want tickets for tonight's game. If someone has tickets, they send you a PM and we notify you about the PM by SMS.

These are just a few scenarios I can come up with off the top of my head. I'd hope you all would tell me if there's other text messages you'd like to receive.

Basically, the phone companies charge us per text message we send out. If this is a valuable and interesting service, we'd only be seeking to basically cover our costs.

3. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Another function we could provide is the ability to send text messages to another user by user name. You wouldn't have to know his cell phone number, so there'd be a big element of privacy. This feature would require you to add a person as a friend and also enable him to send you text messages before you would receive anything from anyone.