Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by BRockwell, May 22, 2003.

1. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

1. Cavs: LeBron- No explaination needed.
    2. Pistons: Darko- See above
    3. Nuggets: Melo- See above, though there are rumors of them trading the pick
    4. Toronto: Chris Bosh- See #2
    5. Miami: T.J. Ford- See above
    6. Clips: Chris Kaman- Kandi leaving, need a replacement though I can see them trading down for someting in order to get a PG in the later part of the round because 'Dre Miller is leaving also. They can even draft Wade and make him a PG.
    7. Bulls: Wade (assuming they take Kaman in my scenarios above)- This can mean that the Bullts are on their way to trying to get rid of Eddie Robinson. He can start right away because the Bulls are really trying to ship out either Crawford or Williams and I think they will accomplish that which leaves the SG spot right open.
    8. Bucks: Maceij Lampe- They need someone to come in and play either the PF or C position. Lampe would fill that need.
    9. New York: Sweetney- Could be used as insurance for McDyess and a healthy Frank Williams can fill in their PG duties. I can also see them shipping Spree in a move to trade up and get Kaman.
    10. Washington: Gaines- May be too early to take him, but with Gaines at PG they can put out a big lineup of: Gaines/Stack/Jeffries/Kwame/Haywood.
    11. Golden State: Barbosa- If they lose Arenas they wold probably want to fill him up with another big and quick PG. The 6-4 Barbosa can take his spot.
    12. Sonics: Hinrich- They need a PG pretty badly.
    13. Grizz: Varejao- Despite negative reports I think the Grizz take Varejao here in order to put another body in the frontcourt. Problem is that it gives them one of the rawest frontcourts in the league with Swift being there also.
    14. Sonics: Collison- Need someone in the frontcourt who can motivate Jerome James to actually do something with himself or just someone to oust Radmonovic in case they get tired of him.
    15. Magic: Ridnour- Need a PG.
    16. Celtics: Pietrus- Pierce and Pietrus can take up the 2 and 3 spots.
    17. Suns: Jarvis Hayes- Need a backup SF for Marion. They can sign a backup PG in the summer, but it doesn't really matter with Marbs taking up all the minutes there anyway.
    18. New Orleans: Boris Diaw- They can grab someone big at the SG spot to give them even more size. Diaw is a good pick at this spot.
    19. Jazz: Marcus Moore- In case they don't get Andre Miller Moore can step in and take PG duties.
    20. Celts: Mo Williams- So they take a risk and select Mo Williams. At this point he is arguably the best PG available.
    21. Atlanta: Josh Howard- Not exactly a great first round pick, but if they are going to have Terry at the PG spot they need someone who can score and play D. He is an upgrade from Ira Newble.
    22. New Jersey: Zaur Pachulia- Big body that they can use in the future if they plan to contend in the finals. This is assuming that Kidd is staying. If he is leaving expect a point guard here, maybe Chris Thomas or Marcus Banks.
    23. Portland: Zarko- They can try to put him at C. They need someone there due to Arvydas and Davis more than likey leaving.
    24. Lakers: David West- They may take Pavel, but I think they are tired of having a big man with foot problems.
    25. Kings: Carlos Delfino- Just someone to take a roster spot.
    26. Minnesota: Brian Cook- I think they will either try and make Cook a SF or officially move KG to the 3 spot.
    27. Grizz: Chris Thomas- Someone to back up JWill.
    28. Spurs: Travis Outlaw- Someone to develop at the SG spot. I can also see them taking Mario Austin if Kidd is the one that ends up in San Antonio. Austin will give them someone to put in the frontcourt with Duncan.
    29. Mavs: James Lang- Could be the big guy they need.

Now I will probably change my mind a lot as we go on, but this is how I feel things will go as of right now.

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Note: The Grizzlies will not take a Power Forward. They have Robert Archibald, Stromile Swift, Pau Gasol, and Chris Owens all still on contract.

3. sunsfan1357

However, they have been trying to ship Swift out for a while and they hardly, if ever, use Archibald and Owens. If they want to ship Swift they may want another PF.

4. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

gasol will be great powar forward

5. sunsfan1357

He should be a great power forward. Also, about my mock draft...that was my first one and it was really harder than I thought. That is why I have decided to stick with talking about other people's mocks instead of making my own.

6. olskoolfunktitude

yea.. mock drafts aint easy

7. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "sunsfan1357":</div><div class="quote_post">However, they have been trying to ship Swift out for a while and they hardly, if ever, use Archibald and Owens. If they want to ship Swift they may want another PF.</div>There was a time when they wanted to ship Swift, but it wasn't due to Swift's lack of productivity as much as it was Jerry West's desire to acquire Mike Miller. Stromile Swift has one year left on his contract and will be difficult to trade. He had a breakout end of the season too. They moved him to Center on and off just to give him a starting roll because he was doing so good. You said that Owens never plays, but that was because he had a broken knee and he is still recovering from it. That is why West signed him to more than one year. He knew that when he traded for Owens he wouldn't be able to play for over a little more than a year. Next season he should get more playing time. Robert Archibald is another one of West's projects. He wouldn't have signed him to more than a year's contract if he never expected productivity from him. Pau Gasol also eats up more minutes than you would like to believe. Pau will play about 32mpg next season. Stromile will get about 14mpg, and Owens will get the remaining minutes or so. And after giving those three guys playing time then that leaves one contracted player doing nothing. I don't think West would make the mistake of having another guy to sit around the bench with the 13th or 27th pick. Last season he drafted Drew Gooden, who turned out great, but Gooden was being forced to play the small forward and center positions because the power forward position was so damn crowded. The managment won't make the same mistake again. That is the way I look at it.

Also, the Grizzlies have another player at power forward, Ryan Humphrey. Humphrey was only drafted last year, although it seems like longer ago, and he was a first round pick. He should be getting some minutes this season too. After breaking it down like that I would say that the Grizzlies will draft a shooting guard such as Mickael Pietrus or Dwyane Wade with their 13th pick. They have Wesley Person and Michael Dickerson at the shooting gaurd position, but it looks like Michael Dickerson might remain injured for the majority of this upcoming season. I am intruiged by Pavel. Almost everyone has suggested him with the 13th pick so far. Although probably none of us have seen him, about half of us have read about him. He supposidly has bad ankles and weak legs, but I am assuming that none of us are completely sure about that. If West takes the gamble to get him I will not be upset, but I wont be happy either. The Grizzlies need a good backup for Lorenzen Wright at center, but they need a shooting gaurd more. That is why I think the Grizzlies will draft a Center with their 27th pick. Some possible candidates that I could fathom would be James Lang, Kendrick Perkins, and Zaur Pachulia.

8. olskoolfunktitude

..interesting

9. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Mickael Pietrus is going to move up and won't be around for the Grizzlies unless they can pull off a trade. Denver's decision to draft Melo or not is going to have a huge domino affect on how the rest of the draft goes. If Denver trades with the Bulls for #7 & Jay Williams, then they will take Mickael Pietrus at #7.

10. Gee_Dupe11

Gee_Dupe11 JBB JustBBall Member

Mickael Pietrus is to me,the next Kobe

11. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "shapecity":</div><div class="quote_post">Mickael Pietrus is going to move up and won't be around for the Grizzlies unless they can pull off a trade. Denver's decision to draft Melo or not is going to have a huge domino affect on how the rest of the draft goes. If Denver trades with the Bulls for #7 & Jay Williams, then they will take Mickael Pietrus at #7.</div>Then the Grizzlies will take Wade, Diaw, Hayes, or Gaines.

12. sunsfan1357

Pietrus can fall, and I think he will fall. There are always a couple players who fall below where they are projected to be at (Kareem Rush and Qyntel Woods from this past draft), and there are always players who go way too high. From what I hear Pietrus isn't that good in the skills department so at the last minute some guys may look at that closer and decided to pass saying it isn't worth the risk.

13. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

I heard that Pietrus was a poor man's Richard Jefferson, jumping and dunking. Lots of athletic ability. I have also heard he has a good jump shot (up to the NBA 3)

14. olskoolfunktitude

richard jefferson is a poor mans richard jefferson. doesnt deserve to be on the olympic team