Moe vs Jake

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Oct 15, 2018.

1. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    We need them both.

2. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    I'd wish they would at least give us an update. Some of the press are going off info they got at the start of training camp.

3. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

FTFY

4. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I am not sure which one I would start. A lot of things to consider. Like which of them is better as the back up PF?

I think Terry wants ET with the 2nd unit with Nik and Curry. So if that is the scenario I think Hark would be needed with the 2nd unit at PF.

Instead of having Hark and Aminu on the floor because they are interchangeable on D, maybe we just make sure ONE of them is on the floor at all times.

I do love Jake's constant movement off the ball. CJ also moves a lot off the ball. Having two would be interesting.
    The bottom line I guess for me is which one is a better fit with the 2nd team.

5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was more the point of this thread. I think Jake can score in more ways than Moe. Moe and Aminu are too repetitive offensively. There would be more movement with Jake. Of course we’d be sacrifing defense, but I don’t think Layman is bad on that end either.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  6. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I like what I’ve been seeing from Jake. But to compare him and Mo JUST because they play the same position doesn’t work. They are two completely different type of players. If Jake isn’t scoring, how is he helping us? The thing with Mo, you don’t have to run ONE SINGLE PLAY for him and he can change the outcome of the game. He does the intangibles that don’t show up in the box score. I don’t know about you guys, but I’d rather have Mo out there guarding The King Thursday night than Jake. Nothing against the kid, that’s just not his game. Different styles.
    NOw in Jake’s favor, he can get hot and put up some points in a way Mo can’t. I believe they compliment each other perfectly top be honest.
    The car salesman Bob Lamphere^ just posted above that Jake can “easily replace Mo”....... I don’t think so brother

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

This is all true, but LBJ tends to get players in foul trouble. Aminu would get him to start out with Mo coming in to spell him.
    Jake would not be guarding LeBron he would be guarding Brandon Ingram who has been starting at the other forward spot.
    In my mind we need either Aminu or Mo in the game at all times.

Darkwebs and THE HCP like this.
  8. THE HCP

Agreed.

9. ripcityboy

self employed
    We have no idea if Mo is even going to play Thursday. Damn. We really need him on defense.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  10. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Think you're overrating Moe. Or maybe just remembering the 10 times a season he actually shows up.

An engaged Moe is not the Moe we usually get.

11. THE HCP

I just feel he does more on the floor than what gets recognized on here. Help defense, filling the lanes on breaks that spreads the floor. I don’t know, I’ve always been a big fan of guys that do the little things. Thats why I’m bummed Ed left. Teams really need guys like that to succeed.

12. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

We know that Mo is not playing tomorrow.... The question is if he's playing Thursday night.

13. ripcityboy

self employed
    Sorry, meant Thursday.

14. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

As many have said, if Mo is engaged and aggressively shooting (and making) threes, he is clearly the better option. However, if Mo is hesitant on his threes, or inconsistent, then it's a closer call. Then you would be comparing the advantage of Mo on defense and Layman on offense, which would likely come down to matchups.

I want Mo back, but am glad Layman will get some primetime minutes. I hope he doesn't defer too much. He needs to watch video of Korver and Ingles.

rotary111 likes this.
  15. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Speaking of Korver, it's been startling, but Stauskas is the spitting image of Korver when he's coming around picks at the three pt line when his hands already in place ready to rise up for a shot. Even the release is similar. Wonder if Nik can step up.

Darkwebs and rotary111 like this.
  16. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

The problem is he only does those things sometimes. Other times, he's totally disengaged and disappears. Motivated Mo is great. No Show Moe, not so much. Historically, we've seen a lot more of No Show Moe, especially early in the season.

BNM

17. ripcityboy

self employed
    I thought Stauskas would be a better player when I saw him at Michigan. I figured his shooting would transfer like Korver's did, but he was slow and not as good at hitting the three. He got really unlucky going to Sacramento where they hazed the shit out of him, and then landed on the bench at Philly where he got out intermittently. But who knows, maybe third team's the charm.

18. Boob-No-More

4th team. He's already completed the NBA trifecta of shit - SAC, PHI (when they won 10 games) and BRK.

BNM

19. ripcityboy

self employed
    Jeez. Poor guys turning into Luke Ridnour.

20. Boob-No-More

At least Luke got to play on a 52-win SEA team early in his career. He also didn't have three different head coaches his rookie year, like Stauskas did in SAC.

Man, that organization has been a total shit show since Petrie and Adelman left. They had a winning record and made the playoffs every year Adelman was there - all 8 seasons. Since he left, they've had a losing record every year and haven't sniffed the playoffs. In fact, the ONLY winning seasons SAC has had in the last 35 years were the 8 years Adelman was their coach.

BNM

Darkwebs and hoopsjock like this.