Moe vs Jake

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Oct 15, 2018.

1. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed

Yeah. I guess Boogie made his life a living fucking hell there too. I guess it started as rookie hazing and then turned into fighting. Kind of shit the Jail Blazers got up too. His confidence was shot for quite a while after that.

2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

When the best player on your team is a petulant man child, it pretty much guarantees a dysfunctional locker room.

BNM

3. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

He certainly is on the right team if he wants an NBA career. I guess I'm less optimistic with him because of all the guards we have on the roster. Seems like it will come down to him or Layman, but unless something happens to the starters or Curry, it seems like there is only one other shooter spot available. Possible exception is if they find a second unit of Curry, Stauskas, ET, Layman, Collins works.

4. Boob-No-More

I think that's the plan initially. We'll probably also see some of Curry, Stauskas, ET, Collins and Meyers, as well as Curry, Stauskas, ET, Layman and Meyers, depending on match ups. I know Meyers is still Meyers, but the plan is to surround ET with shooters, plus Collins/Meyers looked good against SAC (yeah, I know, it's SAC). Collins also looked good next to Nurk. At this point, he generally looks better playing the 4 next to a bigger center than he does as a back up center.

BNM

5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I preferred Curly

6. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

Do you think Meyers out played Collins enough to bump him from his spot in the rotation?

Edit: on topic I have been really impressed by jake he looks extremely confident shooting the ball and playing in the offense. He’s playing under control and is just more dynamic on that side of the ball than harkless.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  7. Boob-No-More

No, not at all. In fact, nothing short of an all star level season (aka: a miracle) from Meyers can bump Zach from the rotation. Zach is the future. This franchise kind of bet the farm on him in that 2017 draft. He better pan out and he needs experience to reach his potential.

But, I believe we need both of them to contribute this year due to our lack if depth up front. Zach is versatile enough he can play both the 4 and 5 spots, and should be our number one back up at both positions. Obviously he can't play both at once. He will play some 4 next to Nurk at the 5, and some 5 with Chief/Moe/Layman at the 4, but there will also be times when he will play the 4 next to Meyers at the 5 - like we saw in the SAC game. Given that the point of letting Ed go was to allow Zach to play closer to the basket, he's actually not a bad fit next to Meyers, who can provide spacing by knocking down 3-pointers. And, Zach being a strong defender and rim protector, can help minimize Meyers' defensive shortcomings.

I know a lot of people have completely given up on Meyers, and as tempting as it is to take the easy way out and join them, I readily acknowledge Meyers' weaknesses, but also note that he played better last season (albeit in very limited minutes) and has looked decent in the preseason (I know, it's preseason), and hope to see him carry that forward into the regular season. He won't be a starter, he won't even be our primary big off the bench. He will basically be our third center behind Nurk and Zach, but given that we will also need Zach to play some power forward (and it really is his best position at this point in his career), Meyers WILL play more than last year. So, I'm hoping for the best (realizing that the best is that Meyers can knock down open shots, set good screens, make good outlet passes and rebound well enough that we don't get killed on the boards when he's on the floor).

BNM

Darkwebs likes this.
  8. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    You are correct. He was a big reason we won 13 straight.

9. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    His crappy play is a big reason we were very inconsistant before that too. Which is my problem with both of our starting forwards, not enough consistency. At least with Aminu the efforts there most nights, with Moe who knows...

Strenuus and oldmangrouch like this.
  10. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Could you apply the same to me and this dump?

11. Boob-No-More

Only if you remove the word man from "petulant man child".

BNM

12. Boob-No-More

The last 3 anyway...

upload_2018-10-16_13-40-5.png

BNM

13. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

He should, but he won't. Neil won't allow it after the big fuss he made about Collins being able to handle the increased workload.

14. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Layman does not play enough minute for a fair comparison. I agree with @Scalma that Moe may be injured again and the compariso n is invalid. If Moe makes it through the season without injury I would be surprised. AAyjvTF.jpg

15. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

No, he shouldn’t.

Preseason:

Zach: 8.4 ppg, 6 rpg, 56% FG, 50% 3PT

Absolutely no reason why his minutes should be reduced, especially not in favor of a big who pulled down 3 boards a game and did nothing except shoot an unsustainable percentage. Despite Leonard’s shooting, Portland’s ORTG was still higher with Zach on the court. The defense isn’t even debatable.

If Harkless is healthy Leonard doesn’t even belong on the court. Give those minutes to Layman instead.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    PtldPlatypus likes this.
  16. Boob-No-More

Per 36 minutes:

Meyers = 22 pts, 7 reb, 3.5 ast, 0.88 stl, 0.44 blk, 1.3 TOV, 4.4 pf

Zach = 13.3 pts, 9.5 reb, 0.95 ast, .32 stl, .32 blk, 2.5 TOV, 5.1 pf

Agreed that Meyers' .727 3FG% is not sustainable. Neither is Zach's .500 3FG%.

BNM

illmatic99 likes this.
  17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Zach’s percentages are a lot closer to reality than Meyers’. This isn’t an actual discussion worth having. By weeks end the odds are good Meyers will be back to being Meyers.

18. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I hate Meyers just as much as the next guy, but he unequivocally outplayed Zach in preseason. You can't cherry pick one guy's stats while dismissing the other's.

kjironman1 and Boob-No-More like this.
  19. Boob-No-More

It was preseason against some crappy competition. None of the stats are meaningful, but you brought up Zach's stats like they proved something. They didn't.

BNM

20. Boob-No-More

Thank you. You got my point.

BNM