Moe's big night

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Five Second Violation, Nov 22, 2017.

1. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Mo Harkless- at 8:52 Misses a three point shot
    Mo Harkless- at 8:07 Misses a 22 foot shot
    Dame was putting the ball in Vonleh's hands
    Dame was putting the ball in Nurkic's hands
    Dame was putting the ball in CJ's hands
    And Dame was putting the ball in Moe's hands.
    Substitutions came at the 7 min mark and Turner came in for Harkless. Leonard came in for Nurkic.
    Yes you remember right Napier scored first on a Vonleh assist. But don't try to tell me Moe didn't get a chance. He just missed again as usual.

Orion Bailey and BonesJones like this.
  2. kjironman1

Here is the play by play
    Go look at it
    Player after player was missing shots not named Damian Lillard. This is not because Dame was not trying to get players the ball. This is because they were missing shots. Eventually Dame started taking the shot and it's a good thing he did or this game was over in the first half. At least he kept them in it.
    http://stats.oregonlive.com/nba/pbp.asp?gamecode=2017112220&home=20&vis=22&meta=true

dviss1, BonesJones and BBert like this.
  3. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Getting Mo 22' and 23' shots when he is shooting 24% from the '3' I would submit is not a good decision by Dame. Hit him cutting to the hoop. Giving the ball to a guy for a '3', even if it's wide open, when he has been bricking from out there all season is not a good shot. Perhaps some believe Dame can't make any better decisions than that. I believe he can.

Also, this is not just an 8 minute example. Quite the narrow tunnel vision of an example.

tester551 likes this.
  4. kjironman1

When no one else makes shots it's pretty easy to guard the teams best shooter.

dviss1 likes this.
  5. kjironman1

Oh so now you argument is that Dame needs to make the players move to better places to get open. Please. Just go back to defending Jason Quick. You are better at that.

6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I don't think he is quitting on anybody. He just can't shoot.

kjironman1 likes this.
  7. kjironman1

The conversation is about Harkless crying that he isn't getting chances. The ball is in his hands and he is getting chances. He is just not making them. His percentages are bad because he misses shots. This is Moe's fault. Not anyone elses fault. Trying to defend him saying he got bad shots because he doesn't make the shots he is given is just ludicrous.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  8. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

FWIW, I spent last weekend in PHX talking about this very thing with someone who has multiple relatives in the front offices of different NBA teams over the years. Also with a guy who is a D1 player who was a teammate with a former #1 pick. The both say the same thing. One of them is a HUGE supporter of Dame and said he was was the player to big long before the Draft....but he still doesn't think he is a very good PG and much more of a scoring guard.

And I never said "Dame needs to make the players move to better places to get open." Now you're just making stuff up. But feel free if that is what you need to do to make your point. I'll point out career tendencies, you make stuff up and then say I said it. Interesting debate.

9. Five Second Violation

Five Second Violation Well-Known Member

I don't think we "all know Moe is done in the stating rotation", since he continues to actually start. And if he is in fact done, then that in and of itself is newsworthy and probably warrants an article from Quick or somebody else. So no, I don't see this as a Quick issue.

10. kjironman1

But essentially this is what you are saying when you say "Harkless only shoots 24% from that distance. He needs to get better shots"
    When Moe gets a shot around the rim teams foul him hard so he doesn't make the shot because they know he can't hit a free throw. So the only open looks he gets are looks from 22 ft or more. This is Basketball 101. Take away the shot they can make.
    Cannot even believe we are having this conversation. Moe Harkless will be a bench player inside of a week. As soon as Aminu is back he is getting no time at all. Maybe spot minutes at best. This was his opportunity to come up big and he blew it. Simply speaking his stock is as low as it can go now.

11. kjironman1

Disagree. Quick is doing what Quick always does. Looks for the Drama and puts in in print to get clicks. Moe is just his latest victim as he obviously didn't mean to throw Dame and CJ under the bus as to why he is not producing. If he did have that kind of animosity then there truly is a problem and then yes he should be done as a starter. Get rid of the cancer as soon as possible.

12. Five Second Violation

Lillard usually at least makes a concerted effort early in quarters and especially early in games to get the role playing guys involved. Uusally with mixed success, and lately it's been really awkward. By the time we reach the 4th quarter the offense invariably has bogged down to 1 on 1 or limited movement high pick and roll sets that unsurprisingly result in Dame or CJ chucks and inefficient looks in general.

CJ on the other hand has supreme tunnel vision and his instinct is almost always to either shoot the ball or defer on the play to one of our other three ballhandlers and stand around. For a guy with his ballhandling skills, his playmaking leaves a lot to be desired in general.

It's still a two way street though and it comes down to coaching mostly. Our playmakers aren't doing enough for the role players and our role players aren't doing enough for our playmakers. When that's the case and everyone seems to be underachieving at once, you look to the coach.

Darkwebs likes this.
  13. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

First I said it, now I'm essentially saying it? Okay....keep making up whatever you need to to make your point. If you don't believe a good PG cant help get his teammates better shots, re-read Basketball 101 since apparently you played at a very high level and know so much about it.

Just having holiday fun. :cheers:

kjironman1 likes this.
  14. Five Second Violation

I didn't interpret Moe's comments as him throwing Dame and CJ under the bus, and they're both pretty discerning guys so I really doubt that they would either. Quick has been a muckraker in the past, but I don't see that as his angle on this one. Moe's decline this year definitely warrants a story at this point and I think our team's journalists would be remiss to not at least push that angle forward.

UKRAINEFAN and TBpup like this.
  15. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Agreed. Quick just reported on something said in an interview. It's obvious that Harkless has had a significant decline so to avoid addressing it would be poor journalism. Like it wouldn't be muckraking to ask about why the Blazers are dead last in the NBA in fast break points when they are having trouble scoring and they are not shooting well from the outside. Seems like it would be a point of emphasis. Very fair question IMO.

Five Second Violation likes this.
  16. kjironman1

Too many Blazer players have been burnt by Quick. Sorry i don't buy that at all. Just my take on it. He will wait untill Aminu gets back and then the next interview will happen and he will try to make this a bigger issue. Then of course Aminu (Who by the way can't shoot either) will be struggling and the pattern will be set. Quick is a vulture and knows no bounds when it comes to this kind of thing. Totally ego driven.

17. kjironman1

This is a direct quote from YOU. Yes you said it. No i don't agree with it. Dame can only get the guy looks. If he doesn't cut to the basket or of other teams foul him because they know he isn't going to make a free throw then guess what. Moe is not a good option. This is not on Dame.

18. Five Second Violation

As a fan I'm interested in hearing what Moe has to say for himself as well, though. A little hard introspection may be necessary for this guy to stop being so invisible out there. Maybe, maybe not.

roroyo likes this.
  19. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

What I said not what you said I said. This sounds like a Larry David comedy and doesn't match up with the quote that you showed either. Nice media attempt but keep trying.

20. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Wow he got 2 shots and 1 more the rest of the game.